My experience of christians and religion

by Doltologist 78 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

I disagree with using derogatory epithets for groups.

"christard" is a conflation or christian and retard.

Many christians I know are intelligent, caring and generous people.

I oppose their religious beliefs but I would never insult their character.

• Doltologist
    Doltologist

Cofty

I disagree with using derogatory epithets for groups.

"christard" is a conflation or christian and retard.

Many christians I know are intelligent, caring and generous people.

I oppose their religious beliefs but I would never insult their character.

I have read your posts and enjoyed them.

Chistard is actually a conflation of christian and b**tard.

Anyone who believes in a sky wizard deserves derision.

If you haven't read my post at the head of this thread please do. You will then better understand why I feel the way I do.

Have a nice day.

• Splash
    Splash
    Chistard is actually a conflation of christian and b**tard.

That will come as a surprise to most.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Good post.

On a side note, here are some epithets used by Jesus:

• fools
    • hypocrites
    • blind guides
    • white-washed graves
    • murderers
    • a generation of snakes
    • an adulterous generation
    • children of the devil
    • serpents and snakes

The guy had a mouth on him...

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Yes, Jesus "had a mouth" on him. His mouth was directed to the hypocrites leading his religion not to the humble Jews who suffered under their hammer.

Nuance.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    Hold Me-Thrill Me - Yes, Jesus "had a mouth" on him. His mouth was directed to the hypocrites leading his religion not to the humble Jews who suffered under their hammer.

Nuance.

Point taken. And, I personally do not engage in name calling. However, JWs call me "mentally diseased". Where is the nuance in that?

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    JWs are not real. You know this.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

Doltologist, your parents were idiots, being C of E had little to do with it. Religion can make us better people or not, to the extent we can look at ourselves, see our own faults and let it motivate us to be better. It doesn't work when people won't do that, as with your parents. There are churches that address these kinds of things, so not all Christians are like your parents. I am not too familiar with C and E, being American, but plenty of churches are attempting to teach altruism, empathy and true morality (that not having to do sex). That most fail is why they are on the decline, imo.

Given your history it's understandable that you hate religion, but I find your use of made up terms to be annoying and it's hard to take you seriously because of it. We all have had our moments of making fun of the Watchtower and religion in general, but most of us moved on at some point. You may want to think about why you still have a lot of anger towards your parents. While understandable, is it really serving you well in your life right now? I'd there the possibility of letting it go? Just something to think about.

One of the goals of this board it to help those who are leaving or at least having doubts about the Watchtower. They may very well be turned off by your use of such terms and not stick around to learn more that could help them get free of the Watchtower. They have been conditioned to think that all us apostates are evil, horrible people who want to tear down the faith of others. This fear is so strong that even if they hate the Watchtower they may be hesitant to come here. I myself didn't find this site until eight years after leaving the Watchtower, even as I knew it was not the truth.

• cofty
    cofty
    read my post at the head of this thread please do. You will then better understand why I feel the way I do.

I read it before I posted. I stand by all I said for the reasons I gave.

It's bigotry pure and simple.

• millie210
    millie210

Dolt you are my posting buddy. Sounds like a lot of people feel the way I do about you.

You are liked. A lot!

You know me well enough to know I agree with the ones above who urge that we consider the reader when we post.

Merely purging ourselves linguistically can feel good but it doesnt do good.

So I guess you have to ask yourself, do I want to slow lurkers down and hinder their progress away from religion or do I want to help them speed it up?

If you want them to rapidly scroll by your thoughts when they see your avatar then use derogatory terms.

If you want them to read your story and relate to it and be moved to action, then use your words in that direction.

Think of your end goal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit