PLEASE be nice to the newbies!

by Mulan 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

lol Spice I was wondering the SAME thing...

I guess we should just all try to treat people with the same respect and consideration that we would when we first meet them ANYWHERE.

But I also agree that a warning to someone that chat can be a bit out-of-control might not come amiss. As animal commented there is a lag and you just don't know what you are stepping into when you enter chat.....and sometimes it takes a few minutes to uuummm wind down so to speak

I admit to sometimes being stunned when a poster who in my own mind I had thought of as a 23 year old, suddenly reveals that they are middle-aged.

Has someone been telling people my age???? (mad face)

• larc
    larc

Hillary, I remember one time awhile back that you were impressed with my terse, but logical comments. Well, you know something? (of course you do). I am very impressed with your words in general and especially, I am impressed with your last post. I had similiar thoughts as you, but could not have put them into print as eloquently as you did. I hope that folks around here will read and reread you words. They are very important words.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

God, Valis, I am so sorry. I just came back to this thread and realized that I didn't answer your questions:

Self-Possessed: composed in mind or manner - you have beliefs and ideas and you do not waiver in those beliefs. This is an admirable quality but it can be interpreted as arrogance.

Also if I directed someone to this site, I would probably not warn them what to expect. I would just assume that everything would be okay. Now, though, I feel differently and I would probably warn the person.

Sorry I forgot to answer your questions originally.

Did I miss anything. If I did please let me know.

Edited by - Dutchie on 20 July 2002 20:6:48

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Hopefully Mulan your friend is reading this thread. There is a lot of good advise in it.

I remember when I first came here. I almost left several times but then

I do have a mean streak in me that won't allow me to give up.

That in itself was good theropy for me.

Everybody is diferent. Maybe if your friend just continued to read the board

and try to get to know posters from that point first.

Posting does make a BIG diference in how you view people.

I've been here well over a year now and still was taken back a bit when I finally posted.

Sorry she was offended.

btw

I did give her names of people to ignore.

I hope not too many, I would hate to think this place is going in THAT direction.

plum

• Mac
    Mac

I, as a self proclaimed "newbie for life", would urge you all to tread softly around me so as not to shatter my fragile sensibilities. Any response to this post, no matter how understanding, will be interpreted as an assault on my person!

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Call me an old fuddy duddy, but I don't think these boards or the chat room are an appropriate place to release your sexual frustations! It's almost like people can't think of any thing else to talk about so they fall back on sex!

I'm sure there are other boards for things like that.

I don't go to the chat room that often. It's too hard to keep up! But when I have gone in there Somone is always wise cracking about sex.....

I must be in the majority though..because it seems like the sexual posts are VERY popular...HUMMMM!

JMO....Golden Girl....

• FreeToBeMe
    FreeToBeMe

Hilary,

I applaud your post. being free of the Org. doesn't mean we are free to do whatever we like regardless of the consequences. Sometimes we can detract from our necessity to change our own beliefs, attitudes and behaviours by pointing the finger at someone else, e.g. they should be more mature. What about us?

Telling someone else what to do because we can't be bothered to address our own unacceptable behaviour is, in my opinion, the maintenance of the JW mind-set (though not the prerogative of JWs). Maturity isn't the prerequisite of others, it is ours. Surely the mature thing to do is to think being you 'speak'. Isn't it maturity to accept responsibility for our own behaviour, as opposed to the arrogance of 'there's nothing wrong with me'?

Eric Fromm indicates the difficulty attached to responsibility, it hurts, it's scary. If I'm responsible for me then when I screw-up I owe it to myself to change, and I might not know how to change. I might then discover that I need the help of others to signpost, initiate and otherwise motivate that change. However, if I'm still stuck in the mind-set of my own self-righteousness, then thinking and doing things in a different way will be frightening; there's a certain sense of security in the familiar, even if it is wrong. Admitting our own fallabilities and need to change our own attitudes, beliefs and behaviours challenges, in my view, the JW mindset. Accepting the help of others in instigating change blows it out of the water.

Benjamin Franklin said "Those things that hurt, instruct" Isn't pain management the sign of maturity? Maybe especially so when dealing with emotional hurt. From my own experience, I was to discover that I was emotionally immature after years of social isolation in the JW Org, however it took the understanding and compassion of others to nurse me towards a state of emotional improvement. Sure, I ran off at the mouth, used inappropriate language & behaviour (and paid the consequences for it), but thro' a balance of HEALING nurturance AND control I moved on. (The control issue is another thing, suffice to say that I consider JWs (& others) provide ample examples of unhealthy control).

So, bottom line.... we are all learning, newbies & veterans. Most times we'll get it right, and sometimes we'll screw-up. When we get it right, we learn... when we get it wrong, we can learn, a no-lose situation .... so much unlike my experiences in JWs when I could never win.

FreeToBeMe

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I see a lot of times someone that doesn't like restrictions using the word "Control" I personally sometimes see it as"Consideration"

A fine line between them?

JMO

Golden Girl

• Valis
    Valis
    It's almost like people can't think of any thing else to talk about so they fall back on sex!

Have you ever stopped to think about how many other topics are discussed on this board despite sex AND how much time, thought, preparation, and consideration go into tons of threads here? Sheesh...

I'm sure there are other boards for things like that.

Really?

I don't go to the chat room that often. It's too hard to keep up! But when I have gone in there Somone is always wise cracking about sex.....

It would seem you are able to pick out that which suits your stance on the matter just fine....

I must be in the majority though..because it seems like the sexual posts are VERY popular...HUMMMM!

I just perused the first two pages of the board..and that's 40 posts BTW, and there was only one sex thread that dad to do with an honest question about JW experience. It becomes apparent that delusion has spilled over from someone hacking your email to this board and its contents...*L*

There is not a fine line between control and consideration. They are two separate issues. One involves the interceeding hand of Mr. Angharad, when someone really does hurt another intentionally, or is trolling for whatever reason. The other has to do with two things. 1: Consdieration from others as long as its a two way street. If someone offends you then talk to them about it, don't go whining to the powers that be. You will probably find that most will take your thoughts into consideration, and those that won't are not important. A quick email can solve all kinds of probs. That is, if its really that big of a deal to you, and you aren't just acting uppity. 2: Letting people be who they are, good facets, faults, crude language and all, is SO important for those recovering from JWland. Even if they don't know it or can't come to agree. I can't tell you how how the lack of this has gotten in the way of my own family relationships. Been there and dealt with all of that!

Mac, don't make me hammer you with loving kindness...*L*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

It seems telling that most of the people with opinions about chat are the people who don't go there...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit