PLEASE be nice to the newbies!

by Mulan 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

On Thursday evening, I received a phone call from a young woman, I have been helping by talking and emailing. I have never met her. Bill Bowen put her in touch with me nearly a year ago. She is very fragile, and suffering the effects of a lifetime of abuse by her parents. (physical abuse) She is now married, but dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and is desperately in need of support. Her husband is determined to stay an active JW, and it is causing her untold misery, because she believes the WTS is responsible for her suffering. Her parents were never dealt with and she and her siblings are not believed that they would beat them and kick them the way they did.

I often send her links to this site, because I believe some things will help her. On Thursday she registered to post, but instead went into chat, and began telling her story. She didn't remember the names of those in chat, but told me one person said "Show us your boobs."

Was that necessary? I'm sure whoever said it thought they were being really cute and clever, but it caused her to leave. I thought she would get support, but I should have known someone would do something like that. I explained to her that there are some jerks on the site, but most are good people, who won't be like that. She wasn't terribly upset, but I doubt she will come back anytime soon.

So, be careful you guys! Try to be more sensitive, okay??

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Mulan,

Oh dear! (shaking my head in despair) I'm seldom in Chat nyself, but from what I've seen, it's not what a person you describe needs.

Perhaps your post will alert those of us who are in 'the business' of helping others out of the borg.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Xena
    Xena

I am kinda suprised this happened. Yes it can get rowdy in chat sometimes (ok that might be an understatement), but usually when someone comes in with a problem or serious issue people tend to settle down. There might be some banter still going on between other chatters, but for the most part people try to be sensitive to the person who wants to chat seriously. By this I mean they don't direct their teasing comments TO or AT them. Well unless they are JW supporters then they tend to be fair game. At least that has been my experience...

lol but then the chat goes so fast sometimes I do tend to miss half of it.

But I am sorry your friend had this experience here Mulan. I have been to public places before and been turned off by certain individuals behavior, but that didn't stop me from going back...those people are not always going to be there...same applies for here....

You might tell her to just try posting and see what happens....

• Mulan
    Mulan
    She is very fragile, and suffering the effects of a lifetime of abuse by her parents. (physical abuse) She is now married, but dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and is desperately in need of support.

It isn't fair to expect a person like this to look at things logically. She is in therapy, too.

It's possible the comment wasn't directed at her, but she may feel it was. "Feel" is the operative word.

• musky
    musky

mulan, as long as this thread is about being kind to newbies, might i add that this site is for BOTH witnesses and non witnesses. This is not a apostate site exclusively. I think of this more as a truth searching / healing site. I am not new here anymore, but I can understand how a few harsh words can turn people away from this site.

I hope that the young woman will continue to read and post here. I hope that she is able to let a few stupid comments not turn her away from here. I almost left once because of what one poster said. I am glad I stayed. I have benefitted more by staying. musky

• Imbue
    Imbue

Mulan says:

She is very fragile, and suffering the effects of a lifetime of abuse by her parents. (physical abuse) She is now married, but dealing with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and is desperately in need of support.

I understand your concern for your friend but the chat room isn't a support group for those abused. Most persons go into this chat room for fun and socializing. It sounds like your friend needs a safe environment with support and this isn't a milieu. If she is traumatized by someone joking around in chat then she needs professional assistance that the chat room of this site can't provide. If someone were that fragile I wouldn't suggest they come here. You may want to ask some individuals to email her and have private correspondence.

Edited by - Imbue on 20 July 2002 11:3:16

• Francois
    Francois

Jeez, that's terrible. The young woman I knew several years ago recovering from PTSD was also very fragile and it didn't take much to create a lot of trouble for her. She had mulitple personalities and when things got just the least bit stressful, she'd start switching like mad. I've had a lot of experience with this and if I can be of any service of any kind, please let me know.

francois

• Xena
    Xena

That is a good idea Imbue. You might get with a couple of people who understand this problem Mulan and have them email her...kind of ease her into us, you know? A few posters at a time....

Then as she gets comfortable you can add more poster buddies so when she comes back she will know a few people...

Edited by - Xena on 20 July 2002 11:6:47

• Mulan
    Mulan

I hardly ever go into chat for the reasons listed. I didn't suggest it and really didn't think she would ever post. I only sent her links that I though would be helpful, and she decided to try chat. She hasn't posted. I did give her names of people to ignore.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Mulan, I couldn't agree more. I'm in chat almost every day, and I really appreciate the support that I get there. True, there have been a couple troublemakers there this month, and some insensitive remarks made, but like Xena I am learning how to chat around those very few cases.

Unfortunately, the remark you refer to WAS directed at your/our friend. Chat was a little racy at the moment, and I know the poster meant no harm. FWIW, I have myself occasionally left chat because it got a little too thick even for me (and I'm a construction worker!).

Hoping that your kindly reminder will raise the bar! Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit