POLL: New to This Board? Please Sign In Here!!

by Seeker4 14 Replies latest social current

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I don't get to check this board as often as I'd like, but I have noticed that there seems to be a huge number of new posters here. Every day that I get to check out a few posts, I notice new names.

So, just a polite request. If you've just started posting here in the last few months, would you mind posting a quick note on this thread? It would be interesting to see if there are as many new posters as it seems. Maybe just a brief paragraph or two about yourself would be nice.

Just thought it would be kind of cool for all of us to see what's happening with the Newbies. And WELCOME NEW ONES!

S4 - Ex-JW, elder, pion., ms, etc etc. 35 years a JW. Vermont.

• Xena
    Xena

Crashing Seeker4's party

I have missed you!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Not much of a party so far, Xena. Just you and I. Which actually could be more fun!

Good to hear from you - S4

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

caughs and clears throat...mmmmm.

How about a welcome sign?

There are a lot of new faces...ID's etc. I pop in two or three times daily and still can't keep up.

• Nikita
    Nikita

Hi all, my name is Leslie but I go by Nikita. I am Mr. Biggs & Quincy's older sis, an old friend of Badwillies and an old friend of Mikepences wife! I have another brother who is very active in JW land and pretty much has nothing to do with me.

I started coming here, when out of the blue I received an email from Mr. Biggs. To my surprise, he informed me that he no longer believed in what the JW's had to teach! He told me about the reasons why he became dissatisfied, like the UN issue for one. He gave me some websites to check out-as I had never heard of the UN situation and that is how I found my way here!

I grew up in Mt. Airy section of Philly, where I attended Wyndmoor congregation first then I moved to one in the Montgomery county area of PA. My parents were of no religious persuasion during my elementary school years. I had friends who were of various ethnicities and religions, but my 2 closest friends were a Jehovah's Witness (we met in 1st grade!) and a Jewish girl I met in 4th grade. My exposure to any kind of church attendance was limited to a Unitarian church a couple of times, the Synagogue more than a few times, a Catholic church, even a Theosophy class! But, although I was friends with the JW at a young age, I don't think I started looking into the religion until I was about 11 or 12. By the time I was 13, I was studying.

It was shortly after I began studying that Biggs and Mom and another brother began studying as well. You can read about Biggs story here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=24348&site=3

I was baptized the same year I graduated from High School (Phila H.S. for girls '83). In fact, I had to obtain special permission to be absent from graduation because our annual convention was the same week! How stupid and naive I was! Oh well...I tried to pioneer and work part-time, but was yearning to expereince life as a "normal" person.

I had never dated by the time I was 19 and was so un-happy when I was by myself. When a "worldly" guy asked me out, that was the beginnig of my "fall from the JW's". I had great anxiety over life without the good friends I'd come to know but felt like this was the path I must take. I knew what the consequences would be for being baptized and leaving, but I was willing to take that chance! At the time I left, Mom left and my other brothers weren't really "into" it too much, at least not like I was.

I stopped going to the meetings, and ran into some of my friends here and there. Don't recall any of the elders trying to speak with me about my lack of attendance. When I got married, it was to a non-JW in a church. (1988) After that is when I heard that I was DA'd.

Now, I am 37, a stay-at-home mom of one child who I homeschool. I am a Christian, but I try not to be preachy, because I come here to offer my support and recieve it. I appreciate all the different perspectives found here (with the one common denominator of us all having exposure to this religion) and have found myself more challenged in my own growth as a person and a Christian.

Thanks for the welcome!

Leslie aka "Nikita"

Edited by - Nikita on 20 July 2002 22:11:43

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Well, I am new too. Registered only yesterday and I am absolutely loving this forum!

I have been a witness for almost seven years, from age 17 to 23. I got out only five months ago, was difellowshipped on last Valentines day. (So please, please sent me a lot of cards next year!...) Three months ago I celebrated my 24th birthday with vigour, it was a wonderful party with all of my family members and the few "worldly" friends I still had.

Both my mother and grandmother are still witnesses, but you could call them fringe JW, as they socialize with me just like before. Whatever rule they do not like, they ignore.

Good to be free!

Viv.

• berten
    berten

I have been posting here a few times already.
    Anyway:I am located in Belgium(Almost 42,grew up in the cult
    from my 7th year,left it at 22 out of boredom.)
    and seem to be in a somewhat "unique" position
    regarding JW's,because a few weeks ago I started a
    thread asking for opinions on running a familybusiness
    with 4 JW's,and got no response...

• neyank
    neyank

Welcome newbies.

Vivamus said:
    "was difellowshipped on "last Valentines day"

Was that your own personal St. Valentine Day massacure?
    (I couldn't resist.)

neyank

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

HI my name is Carol but here my alter ego is Spice...

• Lieu
    Lieu

Hello...I've posted several times already....just checking in.

Let's see....I've been baptized for over 15 yrs and at one time was a Reg Pioneer. I'm sure I was considered 'rebellious' since I went to College while pioneering. Majored in Computer Graphics/Publication Design since I had aspirations of going to Bethel. (plus I was really into computers) I was given a Bethel application from McMillain during a DC but the local elders said they didn't think I was needed there.

No elders come to bother me so I'm pretty much left alone. (unlike some unfortunate souls on this site) Not disfellowshipped nor disassociated, yet....I just stopped going regular in '92 'cause I was sick and tired of the silliness. Also, the half a Bible verse here and there out of context thing used to drive me up the wall. Another sour point with me is that I couldn't stand the way Jesus was put on the back burner as if Paul was much more important than our redeemer. Christ is hardly ever mentioned and when he is its just as if en-passe. I began to feel like I should be a follower of Paul and the GB, not Christ. (Paul was a excellent man and a fine example but he didn't die to release me from anything...'ya know)

It was during a WT study that I decided not to return; can't recall what the study was about but I remember there was something in it that jumped off the page and totally contradicted a prior lesson. I do recall that whatever it was I couldn't stop staring at it. I don't know where (which cong.) my publisher card is located....and honestly don't care. When I was younger, I used to constantly pray for the friends to show real love for one another because I couldn't see where they had any.....the one true mark of Christianity was seriously lacking throughout the org. as a whole.

My mother is a hard core JW and brother is an unbapt. publ. ..... My father is not.

Oh, and my Username is my rank in the local PD....always trying to help save people. :) (I must be a glutton for punishment)

edited for spelling errors.

Edited by - Lieu on 20 July 2002 18:31:40

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit