Anyone ever rub elbows with a Celebrity?

by RubyTuesday 62 Replies latest social entertainment

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I was friends with Ricki Williams in junior high and high school. I also saw the fliming of the show King of Queens yesterday and saw the whole cast. That was really fun.

• abbagail
    abbagail

Met Popeye as a little kid when we got to be on the local TV station's Popeye Show! LOL!

Pre-Graduation: As a high schooler we had to go watch Gerald Ford give a speech in the town square in downtown Jax. Their skin always looks so different in person. I guess it's the makeup or something? -- Met Bobby Goldsboro and his Go-Go Dancers (with the white thigh high boots) when they were playing in town and my Dad ran the searchlights to advertise the event. LOL! I almost forgot about that one!

1970, at the grand opening of Disney World, we stood in line next to Rock Hudson. His face looked like plastic (again, too much makeup?). Another person nearby asked for his autograph and he nastily refused. I was awakened to the snobbery of celebs after that! What a creep!

1975-1980 living in Aspen, CO: Worked for the attorney, Mike McGrath, who represented Claudette (Claudine?) Williams (Andy Williams' wife) when she was arrested for shooting her ski-patrol lover in the stomach, Spider Savich (sp?), and they had to come into the office numerous times. Andy Williams was very tan, and very short, much shorter than he looked on TV.

Same era, while working a waitressing job at Cooper Street Pier, had to wait on Michael Douglas who was there with two young blond chicks (his daughters? They looked tooo young to be with him as anything else). He did not look near as good in person as he did on TV, he still had that "reddish" but tan face. -- Others seen around town, at the bars, in the bank, in the grocery store, etc.: Jack Nicholson (Jerome Bar, and he looked just as weird as he does in the movies), Sidney Poitier (sp?) (Aspen Chalet Restaurant), Steve Martin (Bank of Aspen), John Denver everywhere (of course), Lucille Ball (skiing at Snowmass, she lived there), Jill St. John grocery shopping. After awhile, you stopped noticing as the celebs were becoming more numerous as the word got out that Aspen was "the cool place," and too much celebdom was taking over, which all of the local-yocals r-e-a-l-l-y hated.

Never got to rub shoulders with him, thankfully, but the most famous person to pass thru town during those years was Ted Bundy who was arrested and jailed at the Pitkin County Jail. Then he escaped in hand and leg chains, by jumping through the 2nd story window of the courthouse when they put him in a room waiting for a hearing or whatever. Was that ever the "talk of the town!" (I was working at the local newspaper at that time). He was recaptured and jailed, this time in a more "secure" site at the Glenwood Springs Jail, but he escaped AGAIN through the A/C ducts. He was gone for good that time until he ended up in Florida (I thought he was following me! since I moved back here during that same time frame to immerse myself in the Kingdumb Hall), and he killed that little 10-year-old girl in Lake City, FL.

Life has been quiet ever since, KH years and afterward. No further celeb sightings!

Everyone's stories were Very interesting though! Amazing how frequently shoulder- rubbing occurs in everyday life.

Grits

Edited by - Grits on 26 August 2002 5:24:36

• omiecoop
    omiecoop

Oh my GAWD, I almost missed this thread. I live in a closet-sized town, but believe it or not, there have been many celeb sightings:

Ted Turner--driving down the street in my hometown (this was pre-Jane Fonda)

Dean Martin, Andy Williams, Pat Boone, Phil Harris--in my hometown for a golf tournament even more years ago than the Ted Turner sighting--but I got to TOUCH Dean Martin's arm (is that just as good as rubbing elbows?), and his limo(borrowed from the local funeral home) almost ran over my toe.

At the Atlanta airport: David Keith, Andrew Young.

At the Ruby Tuesday restaurant in Powder Springs, GA: Travis Tritt and BEAUTIFUL wife and two kids.

Musically speaking, in Atlanta (which is about 60 miles from my hometown): John Prine, Guy Clark, Billy Joe Shaver(extremely sweet and friendly), Waylon Jennings and Jessie Colter, Mike Nesmith (former Monkee, and my personal favorite), Richard Harris, Osmond Brothers (and their Mom and Dad, and Marie (before she grew up!))

Not bad for a girl that AIN"T BEEN NOWHERES and AIN"T DONE NUTHIN'

• ShaunaC
    ShaunaC

Met and hung out with Tony Hawk and Bucky Lassek (sp?) this past May in Vegas. Very cool guys and so down to earth. It's now so much more fun to watch the X Games!

Same night in Vegas, same club, I met the May 2002 Playboy centerfold. What a snobby bitch! It was hilarious to see Tony and the boys not at all interested in her but talking up a storm with little ole me.

A couple of years ago Nick played craps with Mike Meyers in Vegas. Won him a lot of money too.

A couple of months ago Billy Zane from Titanic fame was hanging out here in Monterey for a couple of weekends. I introduced myself and told him to have a fun night. As usual with all those actors, they are so much shorter in real life.

Yes,

I rub elbows with celebrities every time I visit JW.com. To me, those who have endured hardship (e.g., being a JW) and survived are the real celebrities.

• Scarlet
    Scarlet

I forgot I did Bucky Lasek's Taxes.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

I stood behind His Bobness (Bob Dylan to the unconverted) and his manager at an Airport counter once! Pretty cool! I think I may have even touched his clothes accidentally...(sigh....)

But I don't think he noticed the power surge out of him.....

Pope

• Room 215
    Room 215

I've interviewed Francis Ford Coppola twice, Fess Parker, Rusty Staub and Jacues Pepin once each.

• MikeMusto
  • teejay
    teejay

Barry Switzer, legendary coach of the Oklahoma Sooners football team.

Some buddies and I were at a political function last summer. (we were all ex-jws, so none of us had ever played for him at school). Before it started, everyone was standing out in the foyer enjoying some adult beverages and there he was across the room. A lot of the State's political and business big wigs were there too, but he stood out. He was talking to someboy across the room but when he saw the four of us he made a bee-line our way like he knew us.

He started the conversation like we were old friends from way back. As down to earth as he could be. My buddy Monte' asked to see his SuperBowl ring and Switzer took it off like it was nothing and handed to us. It must've weighed five pounds and was ugly as hell (although the diamonds on it were the size of green peas).

I already had a lot of respect for the man, but when that happened I saw why he's called The King. One of the coolest people you are ever going to meet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit