Is this proof that the flood was regional?

by silent 31 Replies latest jw friends

• millie210
    millie210

Hi Silent,

I did a quick Google search and found a few commentaries on the verse you quoted above.

The statement was made that it could have been the fear that the spies felt making them exaggerate to sound more convincing.

That seems to be a common human tendency.

Interesting question that you have raised though.

I am trying to explore my own feelings on the Bible and arrive at my own conclusions. Until then I will keep an open mind and allow the facts to present themselves as they may.

I will post again if I find anything more of interest.

• cofty
    cofty
     I approach it as a book of truth and go from there.

There is your mistake right there.

The bible makes extraordinary claims. The rational approach is to demand extraordinary evidence. That is how we prevent ourselves from falling for hoaxes and cults.

YouTube FFS! What happened to reading?

• gda
    gda

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html

Flood Stories from Around the World

• cofty
    cofty

I remembered where the giant skeleton pictures came from. It's www.worth1000.com

They are a community of graphic artists. Check out some of their galleries.

• gda
    gda
    Foerster carefully handles one of the Paracas skulls

same guy with the dna results 

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The official witness reply is as follows:

In that scriptural account, those that reported seeing the so called giant Nephalim were weak wicked spies who just saw negatives and reported such to the Isrealites. They exaggerated the accounts of the people in the so called promised land.....

The 2 faithful spies though (Joshua and Caleb) were positive and said Jah could protect them....

But as said by others, don't try and read more into ancient fairy tale writings....

• SAHS
    SAHS

I think that the Nephilim of Genesis is really just something fanciful made up to offer an explanation for people with different physical characteristics which sounds more mystical and enchanting than any scientific facts.

There are many examples of mythological legends contrived by different cultures in an attempt to “explain” natural phenomena. As an example: according to Hindu legend, the Ganges River in India was supposed to have been created when the water goddess Ganga flowed from the heavens through the long hair of Siva, and in another Indian creation myth, Prajápati weeps creative tears like the Egyptian sun-god Ra, whose rays are tears from which all things spring.

So, we can see how natural things, such as rivers and the sun, were taught to have supposedly originated from tears of mythological gods. Many other things, such as the moon, stars, comets, mountains, oceans, animals, human life, as well as groups of people sharing certain physical similarities, have been attempted to be explained by numerous types of myths. Mythology, of one sort or another, is a common factor in human culture and seems to satisfy some innate and primal need from an anthropological and psychological perspective.

I believe that what was referred to in the Bible as the “Nephilim” was really nothing more than a variety of people called the “Anakim,” who were considered notably tall and strong, at least relative to the Israelites. Facts no doubt became quite exaggerated and distorted, thus adding fodder to the classic “Nephilim” included in the Noachian flood story.

This is yet another example showing that the correct explanation often tends to be the simplest.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    There is no actual proof of giants, the global flood, any prophecy in the bible coming true or any particular wisdom not found elsewhere in the Bible.It's all non-original myth or re-telling of common sense previously writ.
  • RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

Nephilim, Anakim or giants still exist.

http://izismile.com/2009/05/11/giant_women_13_pic.html

Why did the Israelites run?

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

We are talking about two myths. Giants and the flood.

The basis for the flood legned is differcult to ppintpoint by likely originated as oral stories around the black sea. Around 8000-6000BCE at the end of the last ice age as the ice melted flooding occured in what had been lowlands.  These stories were passed down until a story was written down around 2200 BCE which later because a Babylonian Epic of Gilgamesh.

Jews in the exile were exposed to these stories and remember after the return in the 6th and 5th centuries carried it with them. 

I used to think the flood story (J) was written in the exile however the evidence is the book og Genesis was unknown or quoted by anyone until after 200BCE. in the Hellenistic period.

Berosos a Babylonian hostorian writing in the 280s wrote  history of Babylonian in Greek. Included in it was the Flood story from the Epic. (along with many other stories.

The Greek Septuigent in the FIRST record we have of biblical history** It was 'translated' in the 270s or 260s... I think the Jews created and Epic. and used Berosos. 

The Giant legends are less easy. However given this is in the same book as the flood these are likely Jewish version of Hellenistic legend such as Cyclos etc.  Indeed Genesis ^:1 sounds like the gods coming to earth.

** There is a small piece of Numbers 6 discovered from around 600BCE before the exile but it is a simple priestly blessing and was only a ritual prayer... these lines are not proof of a Torah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit