Is this proof that the flood was regional?

by silent 31 Replies latest jw friends

• silent
    silent

I stumbled across a scripture today.  It's Numbers 13:33 "And there we saw the Nephʹi·lim, the sons of Aʹnak, who are from the Nephʹi·lim, and in comparison we seemed like grasshoppers, both to us and to them.”

Now if they honestly believed that they saw the Nephilim, it would mean that some Nephilim would have had to survive the flood or that the hijinks of the fallen angels before the flood, happened again shortly thereafter.  The only other thing I can come up with is that Nephilim was some kind of generic word that implied giant proportions, but not necessarily THE Nephilim.

Comments from the more educated appreciated.

silent

• cofty
    cofty

There was no flood and no Nephilim.

There was no Abraham, Moses or Joshua. It's all mythology to give a history to the faux nationhood of a bunch of Iron Age nomadic tribes.

I do hope I qualify.

• gda
    gda

gen 6:

and there were giants in those days and also after that 

• silent
    silent

gda:  Yes I just came back to post that in Genesis 6:4 it says that afterward there were Nephilim which, between these 2 scriptures, is a different understanding than what I originally thought.  It appears Nephilim continued for a time after the flood.  If Noah and his family were the only ones to survive the flood, then evidently those fallen angels tried it again.

cofty:  I appreciate your input, however for someone like me that believes a version of what the bible says, you probably aren't going to find anything more in this thread that is of interest to you.  Certainly feel free to continue telling me that it's all lies and fables, but I think there is still truth to be found within its pages.

• coalize
    coalize

I'm not sure i qualify, but you can read the book of Israel Finkelstein, he is overqualified.

"The bible Unearthed"

• cofty
    cofty
    you probably aren't going to find anything more in this thread that is of interest to you

On the contrary it's always fascinating to observe 21st century people try to find merit in an ancient book of mythology. 

• gda
    gda

silent,

go anywhere on the internet like steve quayles "giants" website or utube and type in "giant human skeletons found"

amazing stuff 

• cofty
    cofty
    "giant human skeletons found"

It's a hoax. The pictures were done by members of a forum who do fantastic pictures as a hobby. They are very good.

A bit of healthy skepticism would not go amiss. 

• gda
    gda

oh yeah

what's really scary is now that cloning is going on...... 

• coalize
    coalize
    Certainly feel free to continue telling me that it's all lies and fables.

cofty didn't say it's lies or fables, he says it's myth. It's something totally different! 

With me you will have a lot of book to read, my dear.

You can read this three books of the french (christian) anthropologist René Girard,  who explain very great the power of the myth on a civilisation. There is no civilisation, even now, without its own foundation myth!

1. The scapegoat

2. Things hidden since the foundation of the world

3.  The violence and the sacred

The reading of these three very interesting books, will make you stop to think that myth are lies!

(you can read long excerpts of these books on amazon)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit