BRITISH MP CALLS FOR GOV. INQUIRY into abuse

by hawkaw 52 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

thanks for the US address YoursChelbie......it is lunacy that there are still states which allow a religious organization to decide if a allegation of molestation should be reported to the authorities. It is intolerable that a child can be molested by someone with prior allegations yet has never been turned over to authorities because the molester attended a certain church and lived in a certain state. And it's inexcusable when a child has to face more abuse due to the lack of sense on the part of the adults, the church, and the lawmakers.....

At least the British government sounds like they're less likely to tiptoe around criminal matters.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

This is the best news I've heard in some time. I hope this can snowball in the UK into a full-blown investigation. I've long thought the only real solution to this problem is either a number of lawsuits (like the Catholic church here in the U.S.) thus hitting the WTBS in the pocketbook or for a governmental agency to get involved. It shows the power of well researched journalism, exposing a serious and dangerous problem.

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme
    WTBS in the pocketbook or for a governmental agency to get involved

Hmm, of course this will start the "Government is turning on us" chant, but heck, that's ok too!!!!

What do they actually believe will happen once they feel that the government is banning them? (Sorry, never was told exactly what they believe in that regard.. Do they even know what they believe ??)

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Here is a draft of the letters I am writing to my Congresswoman and Senator:

I haven't sent it yet, so

Comments/ideas/suggestions welcome:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

I would like to bring attention to a matter that was addressed by NBC's Dateline and also the BBC program PANORAMA recently, involving child abuse in a religion. Unlike the Catholics, who admit there is sexual abuse within their ranks, and are taking steps to address the issue and protect the children, turning over the suspects to the police for potential prosecution; the Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT.

The Jehovahs Witnesses admit that they have a database within their USA headquarters with an unconfirmed number of names (Unverifiable estimates are upwards of 27,000+ names) of pedophiles within their own congregations that they say they keep whenever an accusation is made against one of their own.

However, in most cases, these names are not disclosed to local authorities for follow up. They are not only taking the law into their own hands with this, and potentially circumventing state and government law, they are putting their own children at risk, and exposing the general public as well.

Jehovah's witnesses go door-to-door. In both reports they do not stop pedophiles from continuing in their door-to-door ministry. In the Dateline report, one man was convicted and was sent to prison, and as soon as he was released, he went back into the door-to-door ministry! The reports I saw on both programs are extremely alarming, especially in recent light of all the child abductions happening here in the USA.

In addition, in recent light of the US Supreme court ruling in Ohio regarding Jehovah's Witnesses and their rights to go door-to-door without any requirement to 'register' with their local authorities, I'm very concerned that some of these men dressed in suit and tie are predators looking for their next victim.

The Catholic Church is admitting to their problems and is attempting to address them and cooperate with law enforcement in an effort to protect children, the public, and to see that justice is served for perpetrators of this heinous crime.

In stark contrast, the Jehovah's Witnesses are discouraging their members from contacting local authorities, not helping the children within their own congregations, and allowing these people to continue to go door-to-door without so much as an investigation by any law enforcement agency into any claims made, putting the general public at risk!

I would very much appreciate it if you would look into this matter, in the hopes of protecting our children from any pedophiles walking around in suits pretending to be ministers of faith!

Thank you,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Concerned Citizen in xxxxxxxxxxxxx, xx

Below are weblinks to the programs as they aired on TV, and also a couple of web sites discussing this issue, and even the text of a bill that was read concerning this issue in the British parliament.

A.) The program that aired on Dateline

B.) The program that aired on the BBC program Panorama

C.) A "bill" that was introduced into the British parliament basically inquiring about the same issue as I'm addressing to you over here

D.) The website silentlambs, run by Bill Bowen (In both Dateline and BBC programs)

A.) http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/media.asp?site=3

B.) http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/media.asp?site=3

C.) http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=32396&site=3

D.) http://www.silentlambs.com/

NOTE: www.jehovahs-witness.com is a discussion forum message board. They have been gracious enough to put up links to the BBC and Dateline programs.

Please feel free to contact me if you require further information,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

That's an excellent letter! Be sure that if you are using snail-mail you include copies of all

the items that are part of the links. If you are E-mailing this letter, the links should work just fine.

Thanks for your help. Every single letter counts.

YoursChelbie

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Letters to our local MP are going off in the first class post this morning. have also enclosed a copy of the August Kingdom Ministry on treating disfellowshipped ones.

This should help inform the Government the severe pressure individual Witnesses are under when faced with a serious issue like reporting child abuse.

Keep going everyone!!

Nowfree

• anglise
    anglise

We must let the charities commission know about this as well.

Anglise

• outnfree
    outnfree

BTTT

Wowie! Zowie! Way to Go Madame MP and all you wonderful UK posters!

Now, <clears throat>,

My fellow Americans,

MICHIGAN is a NON-CLERGY REPORTING STATE! Is YOURS?

Please DO write to your local Senators and Representatives as well as our Federal legislators to attempt to change both local and federal statutes.

Thank you. <stepping down off my soapbox>

outnfree

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Just bringing this back up top - what a brilliant idea! And how about lobbying organisations like the NSPCC (National Society for the Protection of Children) and local social services groups who are concerned with the prevention of child cruelty and abuse, they would be interested in this.

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Writing to the Charities Commission in the UK about the noncompliance with the requirements to be a registered charity is great idea.

It would really hit them hard - it would cost them!!

I shall get started on this.

Nowfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit