Will religion ever be banned?

by haujobbz 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

FWIW, I don't see organized religion ever being banned.

It IS, after all, the easiest way to control the uneducated masses - considerably easier than using actually using force is the threat of force (divine, specifically).

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Religion=$$$$$=power

Gov. love religion because it helps them control people and focus them on nationalism. I would love it if organized religion died a painful death but I have to agree with Spice. As the old bible thumping generation dies away so does the religous ideals they held. However, I've seen allot of young christians out trying to convert people. In fact there were two teens hanging out near the New Age section in B&N trying to talk people out of buying occult books. Needless to say I had plenty of fun destroying their repititous bullshit that they had spent so much time memorizing. If every religion could drop the idea that they have to convert people I think the world would be so much better.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

When? I will tell you in the words of the JWs: "Soon, very soon"

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp
    In fact there were two teens hanging out near the New Age section in B&N trying to talk people out of buying occult books. Needless to say I had plenty of fun destroying their repititous bullshit that they had spent so much time memorizing. If every religion could drop the idea that they have to convert people I think the world would be so much better.

Send me all those young men that need the sense knocked into them...I promise to be gentle (as long as the boobies dont knock em out )

Spice of the on a mission to unconvert young christian men

• RWC
    RWC

The idea that the events of 9/11 were the beginning of the end for organized religion is simply not based on the facts. The truth is that following those events there was an increased interest in religion as people searched for answers and comfort in view of the tragedy. More people were praying and attending church than before and speaking publically about their religious beliefs.

In America the first Amendment assures that there will never be any controls or regulations on religion itself. That does not mean that acts done in the name of religion, such as terrorism will not be controlled. It is illegal to kill a person whether in the name of religion or not. It is illegal to abuse a child whether you are a priest or not. Religion will not give you protection from other laws. However to blame organized religion for the illegal acts of certain people who claim to be religious is to deny the fundamental aspects of religion. And that is a way to express belief in and worship to the God of your choosing. Men will always do that regardless of whether there is a stamp of government approval on it. Just look at all of the Churches in Russia and China that grow and prosper despite the fact that their existence has been or until recently was, outlawed.

For two thousand years people have been touting the downfall of Chrisitanity and for almost that long the downfall of the Catholic Church. Neither are going anywhere.

As far as converting people, what is wrong with sharing the good news. If you had a drug that would cure cancer, would you keep it to yourself? Of course not. Wqhen Christians spread the good news of salvation they are sharing a gift that they think they have been given. They should not be hypocritical, judgmental or obnoxious about the manner in which they share the Gospel and if they are they are not following their own beliefs. The concept of spreading the Gospel is a great one and if everyone was a true Christian and behaved according to the teachings of Jesus the world would be a wonderful place.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp
    For two thousand years people have been touting the downfall of Chrisitanity and for almost that long the downfall of the Catholic Church. Neither are going anywhere.

and did you bother reading why I said they would crumble as well as my definitoin of crumble. Obviously not..if you did then maybe you would have had better reasoning for your point of view.

Here I will repost my opinion for your benefit...

SpiceItUp
    Master Member

United States of America
    Since: May 29, 2002
    Re: Will religion ever be banned?Jul 16, 2002 13:52

not to mention that people are becoming more enlightened...as to the supernatural phenomenon. We have many more resources at our finger tips as well as much more technology. When we can create things that our parents, and grandparents would have considered miracles....it tends to throw the whole belief in god and deities out of whack.

The more that the die-hard religious ones die..the younger generation will have a new "spituality" trend set and you won't see as many organizations with as much power as they have today.

The Catholic church as well as the JW's will fall...the ones that will stand a better chance IMO are the Eastern Religions (such as Buddism, Taoism etc) as they focus on harmony within oneself.

it will happen on its own...of that I am absolutely sure of...its why i continue to breathe.

Spice

SpiceItUp
    Master Member

United States of America
    Since: May 29, 2002
    Re: Will religion ever be banned?Jul 16, 2002 14:04

Exactly my point....

Religion itself will never die....but the way we view it and practice it will change drastically...

Look at today compared with even 20 years ago....all the scientific discoveries (cloning, virtual reality etc) and more people don't look to God as much for the End all be all answer...

I can see the crumbling (and by crumbling I mean that their support will no longer be the majority in fact may become a minority) of most western religions within my lifetime.

Lets see..Im 25....if we say that on the average I will live until Im 75...that gives it 50 years..yeah..I think thats a good time range. it gives me hope to say the least.

Spice

Now that you can read what I actually wrote...care to respond again....

Also it is my opinion that while religion was boosted up over 09-11...I think patriotism was boosted even further....and now both are dying right back down.

Spice

btw---sorry to all for that major copying..I just didnt feel like having to retype it all

• RWC
    RWC

I understood what you said and responded correctly. I will however ad to my comments.Technology and scientific discoveries have gone on for centuries. To think that we are the only age in man's history to be "enlightened" is not factual and highly arrogant. As each generation touted its own enlightenment these new discoveries were to be the end of organized religion. It hasn't happened and it won't happen. Sure there are somethings that folks in the Middle Ages may have attributed to miracles that can be explained by science but that does not mean that organized religion is doomed. Organized religion is not based soley on what some think are miracles that may have a scientific explanation.

With that said, Christianity, including the Catholic Church, is based upon the Ressurrection of Jesus Christ. That is a miracle that does form the basis of the religion. Has that been explained away by science? No it hasn't and until science can explain how a man can rise from the dead without any outside assitance, it never will.

By the way, what "miracle" was attributed by our grandparents to God that has now been created by man? What we have is more technology and what we consider to be a more understanding of the universe. Technolgy is and always has been manmade and never attributed to God and our current understanding of teh Universe will always be changing just as it has been in the past. What science thinks is the truth today may very well be thought to be wrong in the years to come. How does that help anyone prove there is no God?

People seek out religion to answer their questions about immortality and to provide comfort and guidance during their lifetime. Technology will never replace those needs For some it may very well be found in Eastern religions, but that need will and can be filled, as it is in more than one billion people worldwide in Christianity and the Catholic church. Neither will ever go away because they will feel these needs.

• Xander
    Xander
    To think that we are the only age in man's history to be "enlightened" is not factual and highly arrogant

It IS 'factual', and ISN'T arrogant - we are living in a VERY DIFFERENT TIME than any before in human history.

Has that been explained away by science?

It doesn't have to be - it never happened. Don't understand the question.

Neither will ever go away because they will feel these needs.

I agree - religion will never go away. I disagree with pretty much all the points you used to come to this conclusion, but the conclusion still manages to be valid.

• RWC
    RWC

Our belief that we are the most enlightened generation in the history of the planet is no different than those who felt that way before us. Every generation believes they are the most enlightened. A look at history will prove that. Look at the Renissance, the age of reason in the 1700's the growth of intellectual socities during the 1800's. Everyone of these generations claimed to be enlightened more than the last. What we think to be the "truth" in terms of our understanding of our world will seem stupid and childish to the next generation. Knowledge progresses and always will. But that knowledge will not lead to the ban on religion because religion, even organized religion, fulfills a different human need and condition. And from my way of thinking is based upon the establishment and guidance of God.

As for your statement that the ressurection never happened, that was the response I expected. There is abundant proof that it occurred that you are simply choosing not to believe. That is your right and you are free to believe as you choose. However, in the event the evidence to show it occurred is correct, how is that explained away by science?

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp
    To think that we are the only age in man's history to be "enlightened" is not factual and highly arrogant

Ha! the man calls me arrogant. Too funnie.

Yes we are in the most enlightened era ever. Just in the past 100 years look at all the MAJOR accoplisments in the scientific community.

You talk about other eras saying they were enlightened..and yes I am sure they thought they were but LOOK around at what we have done in a very short time. We have created electricity, many ways of transpotation and communication, computers, space travel, and cloning just to name a few. I have heard they are even working on a crude version of a transporter (FYI-watch Star Trek if you dont know what that is). You go ahead and tell me that we are not living in one of the most enlightening and exciting times. We are on the verge of so many capabilities and to think we are not is in itself arrogant IMHO.

It is a new century and millenium not to mention that regarding the placement of the planets we are going to search for higher meanings. It IS the new generation and we will form the new way of thinking. It is happening already. All you have to do is OPEN your eyes and take a look around.

To clarify what I said (even though I thought it was obvious) I never said that religion would cease to exist......merely the way we practice it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit