David Letterman tonight

by ChakkaConned 18 Replies latest jw friends

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

this was sent to me.

silentlambs

Tonight, in his monologue, David Letterman made a quip about the abuse scandal affecting the Watchtower-led organization.

"I sure hope this turns out to be false, because otherwise, people would start avoiding Jehovah's Witnesses. We wouldn't want that to happen."

• abbagail
    abbagail

Dave's monologue from last night IS on his site now... along with Serena's interview...

I couldn't believe it last night... I had seen a commercial that Williams was going to be on, so I planned to watch, but was watching Leno and when I flipped over to Dave during commercial, all I caught was the tail end:

"......avoiding Jehovah's Witnesses. We wouldn't want that to happen."

Arrgggh! I wondered WHAT was he talking about specifically??? was it the sex abuse or just one of his regular jokes about JWs?

Just now listened to the clip, and here's what he said to the best of my recollection (keeping in mind my short-term memory loss) ;)

"Did you hear there's a big sex abuse scandal concerning Jehovah's Witnesses in Minnesota? (no response from audience so he asks again) Did you hear about that???? (audience now groans, Nooooooooooo) Yeah, well, uh, I sure hope this isn't true... I really hope it is not true because, uh, we would really hate to see people START avoiding Jehovah's Witnesses... We wouldn't want THAT to happen." (laughter from audience)

All it takes is to plant those little seeds for people to have their eyes/ears more sensitive to any future things they may see/hear.

I'd never seen Serena before, and I was somewhat surprised at her attire (ugh on those scraggly jeans), but she carries herself very well and is very confident, very charming, right-at-home, laughing, friendly, gracious... I really liked her. I thought she had a great personality and interacted with Dave perfectly. He had earlier said, before she came out, how he was in an unusually good mood last night.

I did not catch the "hesitation" somebody mentioned above, but some things do go right past me.... ;)

And I did not hear him mention anything about the JWs to her, though I, too, wondered if he would dare... he probably asked her back stage, think?

I mean, what Timing! (that a JW would be ON the show with him the same night he has joke-material about them).

The Minnesota info came out way last week or prior, so he's "behind" in his JW News! (Quick, somebody send him the link to this site so he can keep up!) If his writers were "in the know," he'd already be joking about Panorama rather than Minnesota.

GRITS

• witchywoman
    witchywoman

Thanks for the link, just got to see it. I think that bringing this out in the open is a good thing, even though joking about such a horrible situation as so many are going through is crude,and not really funny. The important thing is that people that don`t have time to take in all the news are still hearing about it while they are relaxing at home. The more exposure of the wtbts the better! Thanks to David Letterman, and his writers.

witchywoman

• The_Bad_Seed
    The_Bad_Seed

I would have loved to have heard in that tone he has (avec crumpled expression on face)

So, tell me Serena, whats the deal with this Jehovah thing?

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I just Emailed the show and stated the following

I listened to Mr. Letterman's July 15, 2002 comments on the Jehovah's Witnesses Child Abuse Cover up scandal out of Minnesota.

You can tell Mr. Letterman its a world-wide scandal and if he has 33 minutes to click here ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/panorama/newsid_2114000/2114320.stm

.... and watch BBC's Panorama July 14, 2002 show on the cover up. On May 28, 2002 Dateline NBC also aired a show on the problem. How the USA and British police were treated when trying to investigate these crimes, how the Witnesses supported the convicted felons at sentencing and how the Watchtower tried to cover up the abuse was absolutely stunning.

While the Catholic's do the "mea culpa", the Witnesses are covering up, and, actually requiring known and accused pedophiles who are JWs to knock on an unsuspecting public's front door with/without an untrained second Witness. Like would you let your children near a monster? So why is the Watchtower allowing pedophiles to come to our door?

Just as important, please note this article in the Britain's Sunday Herald. It seems the police are investigating the Watchtower for covering up the abuse (aka obstruction of justice). It appears charges will be laid soon against the Watchtower itself!!! Click below to read that story.

http://www.sundayherald.com/26260

Again thanks for your comment Mr. Letterman. I hope you will consider doing more on this stunning issue involving a New York based religious group very soon - at least for informing some of the 23,000 victims that there is help out there and they are not alone. And to alert the public to try and get this policy changed. After all, we are talking about innocent little children who need our help and pedophiles who are required to knock on our door without our knowledge. If your interested an advocates web site is http://www.silentlambs.org

Take care,

xxxxxxx

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

I hope the above helps.

I urge ALL of you to write Letterman and see if we can get him to do another skit or two on the problem. Keep the message brief - I think I was a little lengthy.

To send an Email go to

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/#

Move cursor on "Show Info" and click on "E-mail Us"

A direct link may be found here:

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/ls_show_info_pop_feedback.shtml

At times, more people get there news from Letterman and Leno than the nightly news casts.

hawk

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Did anyone catch the Diary episode with Serena? I watched the whole thing and not one mention of Witnesses, church, god, or anything. I was begining to wonder if she even is a witness...obviously she is not in the truest form, but I seriously doubt that when she retires from tennis that it will be to go pound on peoples doors full time.

• toddy
    toddy

How long ago was the show with Tom arnold And music from the Dave Matthews Band,here in the u.k we are a bit behind ?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Toddy,

That was the same show (Monday night, July 15). Messrs. Arnold and Matthews appeared AFTER Serena Williams, who appeared AFTER the monologue where Mr. Letterman made his JW quip.

Gopher

Edited by - Gopher on 16 July 2002 15:42:55

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit