Why do you still give talks?

by 1tMakesNoSence 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

just give the worst talk ever. pretend youre pissed.

go right off the subject--mumble incoherently. only problem most of the audience wont notice.

• 1tMakesNoSence
    1tMakesNoSence
    @stan livedeath You are talking about 99% of any talk ever given. I have done that once when I was still a ministerial servant on my way to waking up. two months ago one ex-elder told me how horrible and off topic my talk was and that he could have seen I was slipping. Yup, that talk was about 4years ago.

I wonder if I shouldn't tell them that I would like to be removed from the school, Oh dog if my to-be mother in law would find out about this I will get the talk of my life. Yea well, fk that i guess. I'm already thinking of calling in sick.

punk has a good idea, but by doing that I might fuck up another kid in the congregation even more if he can't see that I am actually messing with them by trying to "shock" them.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    1makes - punk has a good idea, but by doing that I might f**k up another kid in the congregation even more if he can't see that I am actually messing with them by trying to "shock" them.

either way you do it you might have that result. the only sure fie way of preventing that is to decline to give the talk. Then someone else would give the talk and 'encourage(tm)' the congregation.

Sticky situation.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

You ARE allowed to decline to give talks.

Or you could do what I did and blow a bunch of readings off. Accept the slip, tell em you'll be there then not show up. After a couple times they'll see you as too unreliable to assign talks to.

• blondie
    blondie

My husband was the school overseer so I bailed him out when someone cancelled or did not just show up. Sometimes that was every week. I looked over the talks beforehand. It cut down the pressure on him.

I liked to work in points and illustrate them that were being ignored in the KH.

We were in and then out in one week....no easing off the meetings one a week. Once my husband resigned as an elder, the timetable for leaving did not need to be eased along.

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

What punk said. Make some outrageous claim. And be ready with WT references.

Some possibilities:

Paint a picture of a righteous Christian non-JW family with small children then the gorey consequences of not obeying the GB.

The GB are not inspired obey Jesus and bible only
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    whiskey - Paint a picture of a righteous Christian non-JW family with small children then the gorey consequences of not obeying the GB.

"Yes. a child buys an ice cream but it is contaminated (like the world(TM) ), and makes them sick. If only they'd given the money to the Governing Body instead, as per Bro Lett's video all would have been well. We are encouraged to give all we have to the Watchtower corporation (Don't mention Jehovah or Jesus at all in the talk), and this will ensure (I was tempted to say 'buy' ), our salvation into the new world(tm)."

I think we're there! At this rate you'll make CoBE!!

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I vote for going ultra-hardline, but back everything up with references to the WT. If you give a talk that your conscience is OK with, then you would only be serving to soften the face of the cult to anyone there who assumes you're a JW (i.e. everyone). You never know who in the audience might have a problem with something in the cult (in this case, perhaps the call for obedience even if it doesn't make sense) and if you soften the blow you might serve to keep them in the cult longer.

That or spin things such that you're directly condemning the cult in some way without saying it. My favorite talk ever was the one about 8 months ago where I got up there and talked about how we would never want to be a part of any religious organization that had ties to the UN. It was hilarious and sad at the same time to see all the nodding heads.

Anyway, you're never going to reform the cult. Certainly not by giving softened talks that could pass for legitimate christian sermons. I think the only way to help is for anyone who's still in to point out the flaws by making them obvious, either by citing inconvenient scripture or by going ultra-hardline. A talk about obedience seems like a great time to do the latter.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Ask them to obey both of these and see who squirms or whos head explodes....

Awake! 2009 July p.29 (p.28) "No one should be forced to worship in a way that he finds unacceptable or be made to choose between his beliefs and his family."

Watchtower 2012 Apr 15 p.12 "What if we have a relative or a close friend who is disfellowshipped? Now our loyalty is on the line, not to that person, but to God. Jehovah is watching us to see whether we will abide by his command not to have contact with anyone who is disfellowshipped.—Read 1 Corinthians 5:11-13.
  • tidalblitz
    tidalblitz
    I had a talk 3 this past Wednesday that I blew off. It's amazing how going to a few meetings in a row automatically makes them think it's a good idea to assign me a talk. I go to the meetings and then proceed to spend 3/4 of it outside with my 19 mo. old son. I could do the old way of giving talks, no problem.. give a discourse. The new way of doing it is BS. No way I'll do that crap..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit