How do you distinguish Americans?

by paulmolark 38 Replies latest social humour

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igk4XvzwOCw

Apparently Americans are all chubby, baggy clothes wearing optimistic fast food eaters. Who knew

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wonder what they'd say about we Brits. Football hooligans?

I have rellies that are Americans. Fine people!

I do think that US Jws are different to Brit JWs though. By what I've seen, US JWs are stricter in obeying the cult leaders. I might be wrong...in fact...please prove me wrong.

• paulmolark
    paulmolark

I think you are right about that. I have friends in London and when I was a JW I had JW friends there as well.

They definitely were not as strict as they are in the U.S. There was this real desire to avoid service when I was there and when they would visit they had NOOOOOO desire to do anything that involved a kingdom hall.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I heard a joke the other day that so aptly sums this up.

(Q)Why do Americans have big cars.

(A) Because they are big people.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

We Brits are gradually becoming Americans....a lot of our TV is from the US...and bloomin' great it is too.

US words have become interchangeable with Brit vocab now. In fact I personally think some US words are better to use than Brit ones. EG, Sidewalk.(Pavement) Trash.(Rubbish) Dumpster.(Skip). Mind you I still prefer Trolley to Cart coz cart reminds me of something a horse pulls. I think we Brits have introduced the word W@nker to the US vocab.

And don't we Brits make great villains in Hollywood films eh?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    Honestly if you used the word wanker in America they would just have no idea of what you were talking about.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

My mother used to refer to americans as "flag wavers."

Too many of them and too diverse a culture to reduce to a stereotype.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    joe134cd9 minutes agoHonestly if you used the word wanker in America they would just have no idea of what you were talking about.

and that's probably a good thing too
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think we Brits have introduced the word W@nker to the US - I'm sure I've seen an episode of The Simpsons where Homer calls someone a wanker. I think that, like 'wiener', it means penis and isn't so offensive.

I agree with sparrowdown - Americans are very diverse. There are people of different heritages - Irish, British, German, Polish, Jewish, Italian, Chinese, plus African-American and First Nations people.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'm pessimistic and don't eat fast food. 😎

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit