How do you distinguish Americans?

by paulmolark 38 Replies latest social humour

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I have to agree with the consensus of opinion that Americans don't look or dress well anymore. I am from the U.S. and live in the northeast. I am appalled at how everything has sunk and don't need to go into detail.

There are those who would knock me because they feel it is their God-given right to look and act like sh#t.

Let us hope the pendulum swings the other way and things start to change!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LoveUniHateExams9 hours agoI think we Brits have introduced the word W@nker to the US - I'm sure I've seen an episode of The Simpsons where Homer calls someone a wanker. I think that, like 'wiener', it means penis and isn't so offensive.

...er...it means someone that masturbates.

What always amuses me is how we Brits call a cigarette a 'fag' and our US cousins have another meaning for it.

Suspenders are what women hold stockings up with...the trouser holders uppers are braces.

...and we could go on.

• steve2
    steve2
    Loud and opinionated - these qualities make their whereabouts easy to ascertain and consequently avoid.
  • floriferous
    floriferous

I met some lovely Americans in Vermont & New Hampshire......very friendly & generous.

Some Brits have bad teeth, many do not.I'm sure some Americans have bad teeth too...........it's silly to sum up a nation of individuals in this way.

• oppostate
    oppostate
    In next 50 years everyone in the world will be obese in sweatpants.

People blessed with living in the U.S. just can't help being trend setters. It's part of living free.

I'm sure ISIL "freedom fighting" ar$e hole$ are fit as all get out.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Image result for average british people The average Brit
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

What always amuses me is how we Brits call a cigarette a 'fag' and our US cousins have another meaning for it

LOL!!! That could cause considerable confusion and possibly even offence in America:

British tourist: "I'm desperate for a fag. Is this the right place? I've got enough money!"

Chett on the till: Hey Randy, I've got a Limey here from Bir-ming-ham, Englandland. Says he urgently needs 'a fag'. Am I gonna have to call security?!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LoveUni - British tourist: "I'm desperate for a fag. Is this the right place? I've got enough money!"
    Chett on the till: Hey Randy, I've got a Limey here from Bir-ming-ham, Englandland. Says he urgently needs 'a fag'. Am I gonna have to call security?

Yes. you got the gist.

Brit to American - "Fag?"

American - "No. But I like you."

• Ruby456
    Ruby456
    I'm really getting to know Americans via hardcore pawn - an all american run family business
  • Simon
    Simon
    Suspenders are what women hold stockings up with...the trouser holders uppers are braces.

LOL, I had a conversation with an attractive female colleague once shortly after we moved over here where she was going on about how she used to wear suspenders all the time when she was about 16 and "do I like to see some photos of them?".

The look of shock, fear and confusion on my face prompted a clarification about what we were talking about. Yes, very different.

I've also had a worker from the US look shocked when a colleague in the UK said he was nipping out to have a quick suck on a fag. You could see the shocked "who ARE these people?!?" on his face, LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit