Ex-Mormons

by teenyuck 12 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I went to the ex-Mormon board that Amazing referenced in his thread.

http://www.exmormon.org/boards/w-agora/w-agora.php3?site=exmobb&bn=exmobb_recovery

It is fascinating! The ex-Mormons sound like ex-JW's!

There are threads about growing up in it and not having a choice to how do you find the truth.

Some of the posts are very sad. People's lives and families ruined because of a religion. Just like us.

Thanks to Amazing for passing on this web site. It is interesting to see how other people, raised in a less than main stream religion, deal with issues. The things they are bringing up are the same as the ones we bring up.

I cannot figure why Quantam is trying to convert us or make us believe that the Mormons have the "truth."

edited to add the thread

Edited by - puffsrule on 12 July 2002 11:56:28

• City Fan
    City Fan

I think Quantum's here because he's sick of having his arse kicked on ex-Mormon sites and thought he'd try his luck here.

Quantum the annoying.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

While we are from the Borg, they say they are from the 'Morg' !!!!

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

I think Quantum is using the same tactic(s) as many other cults: They come to people when people are in a low emotional state and try to present the people with what they (the other cults) call a better way of life, the "truth" as they see it.

I surely hate all these cults for conning, enslaving and ripping off people.

All these cults don't have the "Truth", they all have the "Turd".

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

I had absolutely no idea of the similarities:

Subject: Inactivity rate has increased significantly
    Date: Jul 12 10:23
    Author: Rusty
    Mail Address:

I can remember as a young elders quorum president in the 1980's that the challenge was to get 80% home teaching monthly. It was a realistic goal and we usually wound up somewhere in the 70's. That was a good sized ward in the Midwest.

Now I am in another good sized ward in the Midwest. 50% would be a high total for the month. This is not because people are unwilling to home teach -- it is because so many "members" no longer even let the home teachers into their homes. We start out with a 40% no contact list! I do not think we are unusual for the mission field. So many of those who converted as teens/young adults are now just saying get lost. These aren't old time Mormons, but the accumulation of years of missionaries baptizing people who didn't really have a clue about what Mormonism was really all about.

Our elders have become tired of the constant call to increase the home teaching. It is not going to happen.

Is hometeaching the same as bible studies or do they mean bookstudies?

Free

• Valis
    Valis

Taken from the following URL:

http://www.ldsteach.com/ht/history.html

History of Home Teaching

Below is a timeline of the evolution of Home Teaching. Dates and facts have been taken from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism, Vol. 2, Home Teaching, unless otherwise noted. It is quite short, and elaboration that anyone can give will be added. While you're at it, check out the History of Visiting Teaching. Select a date to view details. Or you can now download this document to view and print from Microsoft WordPad. 1830, April

Revelation regarding the duties of the priesthood was received. Duties of the Elders, Priests, and Teachers included "watch[ing] over the church. . . visit[ing] the house of each member, exhorting them to pray vocally and in secret and attend to all family duties. . . [and to] be with and strengthen them." ( D&C 20:42, 47, 51, 53. HC 1:67-68)

1850's

"Block teachers" were set up. They were called thus due to their geographic nature, for you would visit the families on your block.

Block Teachers were called "acting teachers."

Acting Teachers were changed to "ward teachers".

1962, January

President Thomas S Monson returned home from presiding over the Canadian Mission of the Church, and was named a member of the Adult Correlation Committee of the Church, which had been assigned to prepare the "new" concept of Home Teaching. Each phase of the work, when completed, was reviewed by the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve. ( Ensign, May 1996, pg 45)

1963, Spring

The work of the Adult Correlation Committee was done and a number of them (including Pres Monson) were called to serve on the new Priesthood Home Teaching Committee, and were assigned to go among the stakes of the Church teaching and encouraging its implementation. (Ensign, May 1996, pg 45)

The term "home teachers" was introduced, which was different than ward teaching because a greater emphasis was now put on watching over the family rather than just making monthly visits. ( Elder James A. Cullimore, CR, October 8, 1972)

1980, December 1

President Ezra Taft Benson introduces the First Presidency Message as the "official" Home Teaching message. (Ensign, Feb 1981, p. 79; Oct 1981, p. 76)

1987, April 4

President Ezra Taft Benson presents his now famous talk, "To the Home Teachers of the Church." (Ensign, May 1987, pp 47-49)

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• FreeFallin
    FreeFallin

Thank you District Overbeer,

So if i understand correctly, home teaching would be like having "Shepherding visits" more frequently than once a month. No wonder 40% said "No Thanks!"

They started out with a great idea in the 1840's--visiting the members in their homes to determine their material needs, and then doing something about it.

Free

• Valis
    Valis

Free and I would imagine back then when they came a' callin people out on the prarie were glad to have the company, even if it did mean getting a dose of Joseph Smith's insanity..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• tula
    tula

I think it's interesting that founding forefathers of both the Jehovah's Witness and the Mormon movement seem to have had ties to the secret societies. (Freemasonry)

The relationship between The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Freemasonry began early in the history of Mormonism. Some historians believe that the secret combinations , like those of the Gadianton Robbers referred to in the Book of Mormon , were symbolic for Freemasonry, although Joseph Smith Jr. never explicitly confirmed such beliefs.

While a number of early Church members such as Heber C. Kimball were Masons prior to becoming Mormons, Joseph Smith Jr. and the Church had no formal relationship with Freemasonry until the early 1840s, when Smith was urged to form a Masonic Lodge by those members who were Masons. It appears that John C. Bennett , a newcomer to the church, had a particularly strong influence in the spread of Freemasonry . LDS historian Reed Durham writes:

you can read more in Wiki (freemasonry and lds)

another thing in common seems to be that just as all good JWs carry their blood cards, the Mormons must carry their "temple cards". That is, if they can get one.

Mormons who wish to participate in any of the temple rituals must first request an interview with the bishop of their local ward (that is, the pastor of their local Mormon congregation), who will examine them individually as to their religious beliefs, their loyalty to the church leaders, their abstinence from forbidden things (alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea), their sexual morality, and the extent of their financial contributions to the church. If the bishop determines from this examination that they are sufficiently worthy, he will issue them a "recommend," that is, a pass to the temple, valid for two years. (Until 2002 the recommend was valid for only one year.) The member must then take the recommend to the stake president (the church officer who oversees several local wards), who will conduct a similar interview before countersigning the recommend. Many Mormons always carry their recommend, which is the size of a credit card, in their purse or wallet.

http://packham.n4m.org/temples.htm

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yes, that is DEFINITELY a worthwhile site to visit.

I have learned alot about Mormons over there. Some really odd and screwy things that they are "required" to believe and teach.

It's also sad to see how many lives have been ruined there by the religion.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit