Guns. Well said Mr President, if only your countrymen had the same courage to consider changing course.

by nicolaou 75 Replies latest social current

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

As a matter of fact our crime rate has dropped in half over the last 30-40 years.

little_Socrates

Any thoughts on why the crime rate was so high 30-40 years ago?

Didn't people have enough guns to deter the crime?

Rub a Dub

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Nicolaou, you have really dig through the statistics...

I reached that opinion after looking at lots of research. You have to really dig into how the studies are done to understand what they say. You also have to understand that crime is reported differently in different places. So that also makes it hard to compare. I will try to find some article for you if you want to but this is what I know for certain...

Yes our gun homicide rates are higher than most countries... but our over all murder rate isn't that much greater. If you don't consider gun murders our crime rates are lower than most first world countries.

Then you have to consider also that most gun murders happen in certain specific metropolitan areas. If you eliminate the top 5-10 crime ridden metropolitan areas we are extremely safe. America is really divided into two states... those that live in big cities and those that live in the country. You only hear news from the big cites. You never hear how quiet the vast majority of small cities are.

I will see if I can get some research for you guys.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

America is really divided into two states... those that live in big cities and those that live in the country.

Yes, and many that live in the country don't have teeth and play the banjo.

Rub a Dub

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Some theories on why crime rates are going down...

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/the-many-causes-of-americas-decline-in-crime/385364/

Check out this chart but make sure and click "per capita", yes our total number of reported crimes is high but the rate is very low.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Total-crimes-per-1000

The USA is not even top 10 in murder rates...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/10/worlds-highest-murder-rates_n_5125188.html

Also please consider that none of these normalize for urban vs rural. They are just gross statistics.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

"Any thoughts on why the crime rate was so high 30-40 years ago?

Didn't people have enough guns to deter the crime?"

I am not specifically arguing that the proliferation of guns has decreased crime. That would be very difficult to argue with the statistics. What I AM arguing is that as guns have become more available crime has NOT gone up and that is very easy to show with statistics. Gun opponents want to claim more guns always = more crime but it is not backed up by the research.

• TD
    TD

Bottom line, is that unless people really are anti-federal government, (and we all know the kooks that are), the Second Amendment really has very little practical meaning in modern society.

Sorry, but these are facts, and I truly expect to get flamed over this...

This isn't intended as a flame.

Would you disagree that in a general sense, other rights were originally predicated on virtually the same fear? --Including but not limited to freedom of speech, freedom of the press, right to peaceable assembly, right to privacy, right to due process, protection from illegal search and seizure, etc., etc., etc.?

• cappytan
    cappytan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0

edit: yes, I will post this every time a gun thread comes up. It needs to be said.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

TD you make a GREAT point!

The entire purpose of the constitution is to limit the power of government. You could consider every one of the bill of rights or any provision in the constitution as being anti federal government.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    I agree with Obama here. The right for 21st century Americans to bear arms is sheer madness, as recent events have shown.
  • Billy ex Blaze
    Billy ex Blaze
    Criminals will always be able to get guns. All banning guns would do is hurt the law abiding citizens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit