Inglewood cops are insane

by jelly 35 Replies latest social physical

• jelly
    jelly

What the hell is up with the Inglewood cops? I hope the cop that threw the punch not only gets fired but has criminal charges brought against him. What makes it worse is those dumb-asses are going to make it harder for the good cops (that make up 90% of the police force) to do their job, because everyone is going to assume all cops are like those creeps.

There wasnt a current events folder so I posted under sports because it seems like a number of LA area cops are making police brutality into a sporting event.

Jelly

• teejay
    teejay

L.A. cops have a history of being racist from the time of Gates, who recruited from the Deep South -- for a reason. What's been shown on TV is unusual only because it was captured on video by a tourist. As far as what happened to the teenager, it was business as usual--a "normal" arrest.

Nothing's going to happen to the cop. Just like nothing is going to happen to the five other cops who were standing around and saw nothing wrong in what he did.

A shame. Life in America. You gotta love it.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

How about waiting for all the facts before condemning the cop? Did you see the blood on his face or the blood that he was spitting out of the side of his mouth? Did you see the kid, even while "not resisting" and face-down on the car hood turn to the side and mouth off at that very cop?

Looks like there may have been far more to the story than the mere seconds captured on the video. Anybody can jump to conclusions. Let's wait for the facts. Cops put their lives on the line daily. They deserve to be heard. It should be obvious this kid wasn't the innocent he is being portrayed to be. Maybe the cop wasn't as bad as the few seconds of video made him appear to be either.

Susan

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Oh, yeah...And the other cops weren't blind to anything. Didn't you see two of them holding the cop back after he punched the kid? That didn't look like they were just standing around, seeing nothing, and doing nothing.

Let's be fair here. Guilty or not, the cop's going to be hung out to dry, just to satisfy all those who now have a "lynch the cop" mentality.

Susan

• teejay
    teejay

Susan, Susan, Susan...

• JanH
    JanH

Posted in the "sports and activities" forum? Perhaps that's what it was to the cops

- Jan

• Wendy
    Wendy

I had not heard of this yet. I just went over to Yahoo and read some links to this story, and watched the snippet of video. The man who took the video is a resident of LA, who was staying in the motel, so it said on one of the sites. I am not at all condoning the punching of the boy and slamming him on the car. But I have to agree with Susan here...slow down people.

Can you imagine the adrenaline that was running through this cop? He was injured and claims the boy attacked him first. He did have a cut to his face and was bleeding.

When he picked up the boy, it looked liked a person who did not know their own strength. Like if you saw a suitcase and used alot of force to pick it up, not realizing it was lighter. As for his punching him after the boy made a comment, I would love to know what kind of comment could invoke a person to punch a 16 year old who is handcuffed!

I also would love to know what anyone of you would do in that situation. With your adrenaline high, injured, fearful there may have been a gun, threat that you may be shot at, etc, etc. The cop is only human people, just as all of us are.

There was a well known respected Dr in Florida where I worked. He requested an nasogastric tube to be placed in a woman who was having stomach problems. This is a thin tube that is introduced into the nose, and is "led" down into the stomach. On an alert patient it is hard for them to sit still and not resist. She was very resistant, screaming and turning her head from side to side, and after several attempts by several nurses, who also used restraints on her, they could not put it in. The Dr had worked a very long shift and it was now his duty to attempt to put it in, the law says only a certain number of attempts can be made by nurses. The Dr went into the room with one nurse, who held one hand of the patient. When the Dr was putting in the tube, the woman was screaming and slapped him with her free hand. In response the Dr slapped her back. Does this make him a horrible person? I think he made an awful mistake, and also reacted as any human would.

As a side note, I have been hit several times by abusive patients. I have also seen many nurses brutally hit by patients. The adrenaline IS a factor and sometimes people cannot help reacting to reflex and hit back. I never did, and I never saw anyone who did. I will be the first to say though, that being in that situation it is a possibility, and can happen.

I could never imagine all of the stress a policeman goes through, they actually have their lives on the line. Unless those of you sideline cheerleaders take into account the amount of stress is entailed in such a situation, you really are fooling yourself and spouting hot air.

wendy

• JanH
    JanH

I guess there is no fun in waiting before passing judgment....

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

************* was at the Court house in Inglewood yesterday (and everyday) He heard from some others working at the Court house that to make matters even worse the 16 year old boy is apparently mentally retarded, to what degree I didn't hear. It's a mess.

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

People: Stop making excuses for the cop, please!

There is no excuse for a cop, white or black, to assault an alleged criminal while he is detained, hand-cuffed, and in custody. Adrenaline is not an excuse, in my opinion. This isn't football, hockey, or boxing where the opponent has a right to punch or hit back.

This should refute any arguments by anyone defending the cop in question:

Would he have punched him had he known he was being videotaped? The answer: Probably not. He probably would have thought about his career and his family first and "adrenaline" would NOT be a factor.

Show me one instance, for example, of any beatings occurring (while the alleged criminal is HANDCUFFED) when they KNEW they were being videotaped. The TV show COPS has never shown any. If any ever occurred during the filming of COPS, even if it wasn't shown on TV, the alleged criminal would have their attorney subpeona the tapes for the world to see. However, cops seem to be more in control of their anger/temper/adrenaline when Big Brother is watching.

By the way, I do believe that most police officers are decent and law abiding. I also wouldn't condemn an officer for defending him/herself (or using some force) while the suspect is being uncooperative or abusive.

Oh, and who cares WHAT the suspect said to the cops?!? He was detained. None of us can go around beating people up just because they verbally insulted us.

Edited by - Mister Biggs on 10 July 2002 9:54:31

Edited by - Mister Biggs on 10 July 2002 10:4:4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit