Where else is there to go? Help!

by ISP 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

....Is there any other DB?

Actually thats not what its about. I received a call from a dub who was concerned about me and my family. Thats fair enough, I suppose. Anyway a fairly long conversation ensued. I mentioned virtually all my misgivings. There was not much of a response other than to say...'where else is there to go?'

I felt like saying....nowhere because its all garbage but for people who want to believe in something that would not do. Anyone got any neat answers for this kinda thing?

ISP

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

My mother use to say that exact same thing to me...."where else are you going to go"...

My response today would be.....

I am going to a place where I can worship freely w/out guilt, w/out fear. I am going to go to a place without spiritual abuse and complete control. I am going to GO AWAY FROM THE DUBS!

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

You could ask him if he'd stay in his house even if he knew it was full of poisonous carbon monoxide, because he thought he had nowhere else to go.

Expatbrit

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi ISP: My standard answer is this:

The issue is not "where' to go as though there is some place or circumstance ... the WTS likes to quote Peter at John 6:67-68, where Peter answered Jesus, but notice what Peter REALLY said, "Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? 68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life." Notice Peter did not ask, WHERE else do they have to go ... but to WHOM else ... for the issue is about a person, a person who died for us and seeks a relationship with us.

The WTS loves to transposed the issue so that they can then inject the Organization into the equation and then play guilt and fear upon people's minds.

• Satanus
    Satanus

It seems that the main job is demolishing the old beliefs, which goes on here a lot. People always want to replace it w something else.

It depends on what you believe. Are you athiest? It's a tough transition for a jw. Are you spiritual? There is a lot of stuff in this field. Alan watts, who studied eastern mythology, gave a lot of speaches on it. Mp3's of them can be found on kazaa.

Rather than jumping right into total freedom, which is very scarey at first, some jw's like going into christianity. I sometimes suggest the pentacostal movement. It's still a cage, but at least it is a bigger cage. Then you can use what peter is supposed to have said to jesus, 'to WHOM shall we go?' Following jesus' spiritual sayings is something, anyway. 'Course, you still have a fundy on your hands.

SS

• ISP
    ISP

Thanks for the suggestions.....I think the WTS have these people where they want them. They could finish most conventions with the theme.....'Where else is there to go?' Where else will you hear Jehovah's name being proclaimed? etc............That must keep most dubs in tow.

ISP

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I get asked this question a lot and I have thought about all kinds of answers:

1) Anywhere but here!

2) Back to my family and those who love me for who I am.

3) Away from you.

4) To a place where I can think for myself.

5) Catholic church down the street (just for kicks).

(OOPS, guess I posted a little late)

Edited by - truthseeker1 on 8 July 2002 19:11:3

• Englishman
    Englishman

Where else is there to go?

This is a very dubbish question. It's also very childish if you think about it. It's a big insecurity poser too, the "need to belong" being one of our most base needs when we are children. It's a craving for roots, a longing for an "everythings OK" type of existence where Big Daddy makes sure that "everything is all right so don't you worry your pretty liitle head about a thing" Honey.

But, but, but....

It's THE JOURNEY that counts!!!

Englishman.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Where else will you hear Jehovah's name being proclaimed?
    Not in the 'christian greek scriptures' either. The only reason it is there, is because the wt arbitrarily put it in over 200 times, based on it's biased opinion that it MUST have been there. There is no evidence supporting this. The christian part of the bible is about jesus, not jehovah.

SS

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I believe that a large part of the problem is that JWs are institutionalised. People who have been in jail for many years also feel vulnerable and helpless when they are set free. It takes time to adjust to freedom. There are many types of insitutionalised behavior but JWs are classics. They have forgotten how to live on their own. It's sad. They don't have a clue that they fit this catagory, but it doesn't take too long to see it when it's pointed out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit