Disfellowshipping Image

by naazira 150 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

OrphanCrow mentioned that blue woman's dress has been shortened digitally. When I was in it was normal for women to wear skirts and dresses on the knee. Now having seen the pictures reproduced on here from Watchtowers it seems that JW women now wear clothes almost down to the ground.

In fact that interview with parents who shunned their son showed a woman wearing a dress almost touching the floor. So strange, to me they look like Amish women with such long frumpy dresses. When did this trend start? It looks like they are trying to get JW women to look like nuns and they condemn women in attractive clothes. Suggests the sexism is getting worse, which is hard to believe.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

You are welcome, Millie, and thank you for engaging with me in this life long obsession of mine - image making.

I think my obsession stems back as long as I remember. As a little girl, the images in books 'talked' to me long before the letters lined up and made sounds. I have always been intensely interested in 'the image' and have made image construction and deconstruction my life's vocation.

Of course, the text became powerful, and I have spent my share of time in obsessing about textual deconstruction. Like many here, I recognized that the WTS' manipulation of text was apparent and deliberate. After all, that is what the JWs are - a 'textual community', held together by text issued from the WTS. The text holds power - and the Word was God.

But it is within the image that the language of power is manifested - it is the image seen in the past that we can bring most readily to mind. I can easily bring up the image of Adam in the garden from the Paradise book, or the heel crushing a serpent head, the field of skulls and the 4 horsemen, etc, etc. I remember each and every illustration in that book. But I cannot recall a full page of text from the Paradise book.

And that is why I think that image deconstruction is such a critical part of deprogramming the WTS mind control. Once we gain control of the image, we can gain control of our brains again.

This particular image we are discussing, and obsessed with, is fascinating - it has been through several processes to emerge in its present form, it was once a photograph, a tiny millisecond in time. And the alteration of the coloring has extended the time it portrays...we have past, present and future in this image.

The layers of deconstruction in this image are many and complex.

I already did think they were slightly manipulative and I thought some of it was bumblefous behavior and like a stopped clock -that still happens to be right twice a day, I thought they were just happening to get it right (the manipulation).

I have given some thought to that, Millie. I have studied WT images for hours and hours, and tried to place them into an objective context - which is hard to do at times when the emotional attachment has a good grip.

As a child, I used to think that the WT images well so well done. But, now I see the clumsiness in the execution of some of them. And I would not be surprised if that clumsiness is deliberate. It masks the deliberate manipulation that the propaganda image has been subjected to. It gives it an 'honesty appeal'. when, in reality, the image is anything but honest. If the images were too slick, people wouldn't trust them.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Xanthippie: OrphanCrow mentioned that blue woman's dress has been shortened digitally. When I was in it was normal for women to wear skirts and dresses on the knee. Now having seen the pictures reproduced on here from Watchtowers it seems that JW women now wear clothes almost down to the ground.

After some of these comments, and considering that I make the claim that this image was a photo taken years ago and then altered with tonal values and color...I now will amend that initial thought.

You are right, Hippie, the skirt may not have been altered. In the 60s and 70s, the big struggle was to get JW girls to lengthen their dresses to mid kneecap. Of course, the fashion rage at the time was micro minis. The knee length was horribly old fashioned.

The woman in blue would not have been out of place in the KH I attended during the 60s. I have photos of my mom dressed in a sleeveless dress at least that short at a summer convention in '63/4.

• millie210
    millie210

I know how it got started in my area Xanthippe.....or at least what I think happened.

There was a time when people got dressed for church. Most JWs were former church goers and they still dressed for meetings. You can still see remnants of this at Memorial which looks for all the world like Easter dressing in churchdom.

Time passes and the Org really got on the bandwagon about pioneering for women - homeschooling, pioneering - it was presented as a not only wholesome but an extremely spiritual way to be as a woman in the congregation.

Pioneering requires long hours. Sisters tend to wear long skirts as they are easier to climb in and out of vans and cars. You also dont have to wear leg wear (stockings or hose) or have nice legs to wear a long skirt. Heck, you dont even have to shave your legs if you are not of a mind to. Who will know? So this quickly became a standard of dress for housewives in the 30 and 40 yr old range. They were homeschooling the future Bethelites, and C.O.s and pioneering while they did it!

It became the uniform of the day in my congregation. Only "old" sisters dressed up, or the ones who worked in the world at "jobs" are put spiritual things in second place,tsk tsk.

So you pioneer all day with the other super sisters while teaching your kids their multiplication tables in between doors and throw-on a "jacket" for the meeting and you were golden.

The super housewife edition of Wonderwoman, JW style!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have the paper copy of the April 15 Wt open here and if anyone doubts that this is genuine, believe me - it is. (page 29 - 31)

I think that there is a danger in dissecting a picture too much, we read into it what we want to see. I don't think the WTS are that clever or sophisticated to do what some people are saying, although they do obviously try to create a picture that says what they want it to.

This is a subsidiary article so it will not be studied at the meeting. The text contains what I consider a misleading statement on page 29

"Two factors—which must coincide—result in the disfellowshipping of one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. First, a baptized Witness commits a serious sin. Second, he does not repent of his sin.
    Although Jehovah does not demand perfection from us, he does have a standard of holiness that he expects his servants to meet. For example, Jehovah insists that we avoid such serious sins as sexual immorality, idolatry, thievery, extortion, murder, and spiritism."

This makes it seem that only the worst of the worst would be d'fd...

NB . Strangely enough, this article does not appear in the simplified version..Is that unusual?

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Also, in the recent shunning video posted from the 2015 RC, the Bethel couple said that the reason their son came back was so he could have association with his family again -- NOTHING about coming back for Jehovah or because he realized it was "the truth" -- he came back for being able to socialize with his family again!! Did anybody notice that?

And in this picture, if you follow the woman's eye line to where she is looking, it is toward the two women who are hugging each other in the front. - More emotional manipulation. Like, "See?!? You're missing out on this FELLOWSHIP and LOVE..!!

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Jews disfellowshipped men, women and children by stoning them to death. According to the biblical record, many Christians met their end by the hand of Jews disfellowshipping them with stones.

I can't imagine Christians disfellowshipping anyone by a method that amounts to stoning them to death.

Then we have Watchtower.

Watchtower disfellowships men, women and children with isolation. According to what Watchtower's published, isolation is one of the most potent killers, and Watchtower teaches its followers to use it.--(Awake, published by Watchtower, May 22, 1983, p. 15; See: Watchtower Shunning – Deadly by Design )

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

And the female behind the two brothers that some of you say can also picture a submissive wife... She could also be a teenage girl, another "message" to the DF'd woman -- don't be proud, learn to be submissive (and accept counsel when young) as this young girl is properly showing, respecting her place and accepting the counsel provided by her elders and parents.... (And "loving elder"/ "eager to help elder" is implied by the exaggerated smile on the elder's face...)

And perhaps this is her father, as family head, taking the "lead" by approaching the elders with his daughter about a problem, probably a very personal or embarrassing problem, judging from the girl's depiction...

And ha, yes, I now see the Eye of Ra (or Horus?) on the little girl's sleeve, it is like a white tattoo.

And haha -- after I smoked something, I see an image on the wall at the back behind the two men... It looks like a male face all nuzzled up against a thigh or breast (mother?) but it did help to smoke something first.... :)

• sir82
    sir82

Two factors—which must coincide—result in the disfellowshipping of one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. First, a baptized Witness commits a serious sin. Second, he does not repent of his sin.

This is absolutely, patently 100% false.

The more accurate paragraph:

Two factors—which must coincide—result in the disfellowshipping of one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. First, a baptized Witness confesses to what the "Flock" books defines as a "serious sin", or 2 or more people convince a group of 3 elders that the accused committed such a "sin". Second, he does not manage to convince the same group of 3 imperfect men of the sincerity of his repentance.

Oh, and while we're dissecting pictures.....

Isn't her dress more or less the same shade as Monica Lewinsky's infamous "blue Gap dress"? Even if not the same shade, does "blue dress" recall that situation to mind anyway?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Pioneering requires long hours. Sisters tend to wear long skirts as they are easier to climb in and out of vans and cars. You also dont have to wear leg wear (stockings or hose) or have nice legs to wear a long skirt. Heck, you dont even have to shave your legs

Thanks, that's interesting Millie, although I pioneered all day but not in long skirts like the ones I see on the Borg website pictures. Mind you, I didn't have to cover up my legs, if I do say so myself 😄

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit