Facing the inevitable....how will you handle it?

by Makena1 16 Replies latest social family

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

I cope with good medications! =;o)

Tink =;o)

• TruckerGB
    TruckerGB

I turned 40 this year,I intend growing old noisely.

• freedomhouse3
    freedomhouse3

I just turned 50 a couple of months ago and I am determined to face the enivitable with clarity of mind.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I was talking with an ex-jw friend last night about how I never gave death a second thought while I was in. I always thought that surely the new system would come before I reached old age (just like JW's all the way back to Russells time have probably felt).

Now that I am 32 and out of God's visible organization (tm), I do notice that I have lost maybe just a little of my youthful vigor. I see lots of lines forming on my face, and the gray hair is infiltrating my crown slowly but surely. I see my parents getting ready to retire. My dad is 63, men in his family rarely reach 70. His dad died at 52. So probably within the next 10-15 years I will experience the death of a family member for the first time. My autistic brother is almost 40. I'm trying to remember, I did a lot of research on autism a couple of years ago and one of the things I found is that persons with this condition are generally not long lived. My point in all this is that all of the sudden mortality has slapped me in the face, while I spent 10 years ignoring it while I was in the borg.

Even though I've lost all faith in the WT as God's org, I still agree with them that this world is going to hell in a handbasket. I'm not very confident of seeing 40 or 50 years old.

• MISTERCYNIC
    MISTERCYNIC

Well, Mac, I don't know how you'll ultimately handle it, but I find it best just to stay in my bath robe all day, drool a lot, and count the hairs that fall from my head onto the linoleum. You don't get a lot of sympathey from anyone that way, but it does afford considerable opportunities to let your mind wander through the past years of your totally meaningless life. There's nothing but kicks reminiscing about all those missed opportunities to do the things you could have done if your youth and vigor hadn't been squandered on fruitless efforts to convince the unconvinceable of things no one needs to be convinced of in the first place. I can't begin to tell you how incredibly invigorating - nay, exhillarating - it is to constantly be reminded from day to day how life would have been, had you not been brainwashed from infancy to believe that just living a normal life would condemn you to everlasting destruction. But, what the hell, right? Life is a death march. When you get old, Mac, you live in your head. You'll be finding that out in another twenty years or so. That's when the real fun begins. You get to watch that never-ending movie in living color of those halcyon days of youth when you were the golden adonis with the twenty-eight inch waist and a forty-seven inch chest on a six-foot frame, and you moved like a panther. Your hair was dark and thick, and you were embarassed because beautiful girls came out of nowhere just to run their fingers through it. You get to see how people marveled at your many and varied talents, and wondered why you didn't pursue at least one of them to ultimate success. There you were, the top athelete and the top scholar all the way through your school days. You were always the president of your classes and the captain of all the teams in sports, as well as of the debate and chess clubs. Out of school, you married the girl of your dreams and raised a family of teriffic kids who made you proud to be their parents. It's all there in the movie. And you get to run it over and over in your mind for the rest of your geriatric existence. But it's not all good times. The movie won't let you forget the horrifying details of how your best friend and life-long soul mate agonized through a heart breaking bout with brain cancer and died a horrible death, after being DF'd because her husband wrote a book exposing the duplicity of the WTBTS. Sometimes the movie ends in the middle of the night and you have to come back to the reality of the present while you're lying there all alone in bed. I wish I could tell you how much fun that is, Mac, but somehow it just doesn't seem to translate. There's no real reason to get out of the bath robe and into your street clothes. No one's coming to see you. There's nobody who would care to have you in their home as a guest. Your just an ugly, flabby, balding, uninteresting old man who can barely walk. Nobody wants to put up with hearing you say "How's that?", because you miss about 80% of everything they say. Well hey - I'd better quit and get out of here now. I've got a movie to catch.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Once I mentally left the org, I accepted the fact that one day I would see all of my friends, family, and wife die. That is of course if I outlive everyone around me. Losing my parents I think will be the hardest. I really hope they come to their senses one day before they die and get out of the org.

As for me personally, I know I will die. It's just a matter of when. It was in the HBO series Band of Brothers where one of the soldiers told another(paraphrasing), "As soon as you face the fact that you are gonna die, you're already dead. So get out there and do what needs to be done." This quote really hit me, because it is so true. I am getting tired of wasting my extra time attending meetings where there is no hope or joy in looking forward to the future. Time to live friends.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I feel cheated and I wallow in my bitterness. I was a beautiful young woman and now I am not. I wasted youth and strength and beauty and the JWs are to blame.

I turned 40 this yr. I don't like it. Not one bit. My husband is 4 yrs younger, that is hard. He knows better than to tease me about it. I don't have any plans or goals. I don't know what to expect from the future.

I am not unhappy. Not at all. But I live one day at a time.

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit