Ya Ya Sisterhood

by Mulan 13 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mulan
    Mulan

Has anyone seen "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood"?

Princess, one of her friends, and I went to see it last night, and it was great. Anyone with mother or grandmother issues will love it. It was funny, sad, tragic in places, and very heartwarming. Both of us were in tears at the end. (and I don't tear up easily)

Rachel and I both feel it is about my mother, without the drinking. My husband didn't go with us, because he said it was a "chick flick", but he would have loved it.

Rachel's friend said it was about her grandmother, and there were some eerie coincidences with my mother. Some people say everything happens for a reason, and I have to say this movie came at a good time for me. It was very cathartic...............I feel better, but definitely in need of therapy.

Another movie where Lauren Bacall played Mom, is "The Mirror Has Two Faces". Even her mannerisms were all Mom. A real drama and beauty queen type, who thinks everyone is admiring her.

Edited by - mulan on 4 July 2002 9:22:34

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Definite chick flick!

Needs more explosions!

Edited by - funkyderek on 4 July 2002 9:19:12

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

(((Mulan)))

I took my daughter with me to see Ya Ya Sisterhood. We had a good time. (mopping up tears on the way out)

I'm glad the movie was cathartic for you. It's nice when these "chick flicks" help release our emotions!

Unfortunately, my mother is in a class by herself and I've yet to see a movie with her dysfunctions.

Hugs

j2bf

• musky
    musky

mulan, didn,t see the movie. i agree with your husband. " chick flick" (probably). How could I know unless I saw it right?

• think41self
    think41self

Definite chick flick!

My mother was not an alcoholic, but there were similarities.I too found it emotional to watch, but I enjoyed it. There were several uproariously funny moments.

But after seeing an "emotional" movie like that...I'm ready for the next "Terminator" movie or something.

Tracy

• Mulan
    Mulan

The reason he would love it is because it is about daughters and mothers, and he has been an eyewitness to my mother and her dramas, with me, for 40 years.

He often tells me how I have broken the cycle, in the family, because I have a great relationship with our daughter, who really is a Princess! I admire her so much, something my mother would never say to me, in public. At least, I wouldn't believe it. I know I have a problem, in my own psyche because of her. When she dies, I will likely feel that it is somehow my fault, because everything else always is, with her. That's why I know I need therapy. Anyone raised by a person, who is mentally ill, is going to have at least SOME problems. I basically have escaped much of the damage she could have done, by marrying very young, and by marrying the man I married.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

My wife saw it and loved it....I always think films like that are pandering weep-fests, emotion mongrels, but the wifey really liked it. She identified, I guess.

ash

• LB
    LB

I went with my wife and mother in law to see YaYa. It was pretty slow (no explosions) but not a bad movie even for a chick flick. My MIL hated it but my wife loved it. Wonder why?

Any movie with Ashley Judd in it is good.

• wasasister
    wasasister

I, too, saw Ya Ya with my daughter. I thought it was the best treatment of mother/daughter issues since The Joy Luck Club - an all time favorite of ours.

Glad you found it healing, Mulan. Sounds like you could use it right now.

• musky
    musky

LB, Ashley Judd . You have class man!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit