Heat Advisory: Philadelphia Assembly Next Weekend

by Room 215 20 Replies latest jw friends

• worf
    worf

Room215,

I remember back in 1985 when all of us from the NYC area had to go to Philly's Vet for the dumbvention. It was sweltering and there were definitely reports of people passing out from the heat. The corridors were crowded even during the talks with people trying to stay under whatever roofing there was. But the slavemasters in bklyn don't give a sh*t. There needs to be a general rebellion from within wt walls to protest all the evil treatment.

Worf

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I live right outside of Phila. and am very familiar with Veterans (Vet) Stadium. It just struck me funny how a religion that is anti-gov't and anti-military would hold a convention at a place called Veterans Stadium.

Devon

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

anyone remember the assembly at the Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens in I think 91 0r 92 and it was a heat wave outside and inside the temperatures were unbelievable, you couldn't breathe. We stayed at the Carlton Inn right next door, and from that to the gardens your clothes your soaked through with presperation. Unbelievable. there was no air conditioning inside the gardens and people were just wiped out from heat stroke.

I couldn't believe I lasted that assembly. but i was in the Carlton so it made it a little easier for me, but the elderly and infirm and children it was unbearable for them.

• joenobody
    joenobody

Uhh Starfish... I was at the assembly at the Big O when the roof got stuck. You were off by 10 degrees - it was in the 40s!

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

I can't believe they're still forcing people to endure this hideous arena...

The last time I was there, I was "counseled" for pouring ice-water over myself. I admit it. I DID pour ice water over myself. I purposely wore clothing that would not become transparent when wet, because I had EVERY INTENTION of pouring ice water all over myself, all day, every day.

The only way I could have survived sitting there in a blast furnace was by pouring ice water all over myself. I poured it all over people all around me, too. They were VERY appreciative, I must say. In fact, I was the "ICE WATER GODDESS" for three days. It was hard work, maintaining a steady supply of ice water. It was my contribution to the poor humanity with whom I shared deplorable, sickening, and ABSOLUTELY UNNECESSARY AND AVOIDABLE inhumane treatment.

The girls walking around on the upper deck of the Veteran's Stadium who were wearing practically zip in terms of clothes were fine... but me, in my ice water soaked clothing, got pulled aside and counseled by some little DIPWAD freak and his father. I actually LAUGHED at him.

I'm still laughing (not really)

Convention free now, and amazed that people actually still submit to such egregious abuse,

lauralisa

• Room 215
    Room 215

In sweltering conditions--high humidity and temperatures in the mid- to high nineties-- my five year-old daugther passed out; and on another such day, my 72 year-old father-in-law suffered a stroke. As I said, what more telling bit of first-hand evidence could there be of the GB's callous indifference to the well-being of the rank and file? You've got the representatitives of one of Satan's wordly governments issuing heat and health advisories because of the oppressive weather; especialll;ay aimed at the very old and the very young, but the Bethel bigwigs, who can count on air-conditioned adminstrative offices through the grueling proceedings will have none of it!

And for what?

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

The VET has to be the most insufferable place in the middle of July, yet the WTS continues to book that outdoor furnace each and every year. What a bunch of "loving" folks who plan the conventions!!!

Boozy

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

The vet is a horrible caricature of hell....that place is so awful. They won't go to the First Union Center because they couldn't give two shits about theirf flock....they'd rather save money.

Bastards.

ash

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Just a little correction, Roomie, if I may re the governments. Since nothing is done without Jehovah's authority, they are HIS governments. It's the WTS which is part of Satan's system "blinding the minds of the unbelievers".

Interesting to heare about those conventions.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Scully
    Scully

starfish & joenobody....

I remember that assembly at the Big O-No! in 85.

Hubby & I were assigned security duty at Trailer City. The walking in that HEAT and HUMIDITY was horrible, but it was even worse in the Stadium... like a huge greenhouse. Didn't a baby die during that assembly due to dehydration??

What made it even worse for me was that I was in the early weeks of pregnancy and had "morning sickness" all day long. Hot, humid AND puking was the combination I "enjoyed" with all that regurgitated spiritual swill....

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit