Heat Advisory: Philadelphia Assembly Next Weekend

by Room 215 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

Calling all dubbies in the Middle Atlantic States unlucky enough to have been assigned to the annual Sauna in Philly July 11-13.

As the U.S, Northeast bakes in sweltering heat and debilitating humidity, what greater first-hand evidence can you find of Bethel's callous indifference to your well-being than their persistence in scheduling these pointless hum-drum events in such a notorious blast-furnace environment as Vets stadium, when just across the street, at the Spectrum, and in countless other venues, air-conditioned auditoriums are readily available to them?

Repeated, public warnings in the media of the health hazard to the very young and elderly posed by such conditions fall on deaf ears in Brooklyn. Cancel? Postpone? Shorten? Are you nuts?!! Ofcourse, the bigshots in Administration, the guys who drone on and on from the platform, can repair to the facility's air-condition offices and VIP rooms on their done dispensing the latest ``new light.''

JW Urban Lore is replete with accounts of deaths and injury sustained in such conditions. Yet year after year, nobody has the temerity to utter a word of complaint, although a not inconsiderable number will protest with their feet by booking rooms in cities where they cane die of boredom in air-conditioned comfort!

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Not only that, but the attendants who sit on the field are REQUIRED TO WEAR SUITS!!!

The turf at the Vet can reach between 140 and 170 degrees F.

How loving!

• Nikita
    Nikita

Ahh, the VET in July-so glad I'm not gonna be there!

Biggs, you going??

• starfish422
    starfish422

I remember being in Olympic Stadium in Montreal in 1984 and in 1985? Those years are approximate but it was around that time. That was awful; the first year the dome was open so there was sun but at least there was a breeze. The second year, they weren't able to retract that stupid covering so it was like an enormous oven. The large display that was visible from all points of the stadium, had a reading of the current temp and it hovered around 33 degrees Celsius ALL THE TIME. And we were camping in Trailer City which they had set up at the Botanical Gardens.

Lots of fun.

**Edited to indicate that 33 degrees is celsius, and not fahrenheit which would have been quite brisk for July.

Edited by - starfish422 on 3 July 2002 10:58:40

• metatron
    metatron

What idiots! People commonly pass out at Veterans assemblies - even speakers on

stage have lost it! (like Condilis, years ago)

metatron

• Mister Biggs
    Mister Biggs

Nikita...

I would travel to HELL before I'd go to another convention at the Vet....Of course, hell would feel much cooler than the Vet in July! LOL!

Edited by - Mister Biggs on 3 July 2002 11:10:22

• Mary
    Mary

My brother and his family were assigned to Kitchener Auditorium (Southern Ontario) last week for the assembly. It's all closed in, and there's no air-conditioning (except in a couple of spots where it's so frigging cold that many couldn't stand that either). Put a few thousand people in a closed-in building, with no windows and no air-conditioning, and where the temperature reached 42 Celcius (107 degree F) with the humidity..........ya, and tell me once again how much better we have it than the brother in Africa.........at least in Africa, they're not in closed in buildings roasting to death.....it's mostly outside...........

Naturally, it wouldn't matter how frigging hot it gets, or how many people might faint from heat exhaustion, there's no way they'd cancel it: After all, Armageddon might come and then everyone would die the Second Death for being selfish and not putting spiritual interests first......

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Hmm, call me cinical, but I'll bet that renting auditoriums without A/C that no-one else on earth would rent because of heat conditions is probably really CHEAP!!!

Plus, no-one else on Earth would rent them, so they can say we are keeping seperate from the world

Edited by - itsjustlittleoldme on 3 July 2002 11:14:34

• Bodhisattva
    Bodhisattva

Three days rent at Vet Stadium costs them $16,000. They bring in at least ten times that much.

• DB
    DB

I was going to attend one day at The Sweat.....but now, no days at all. Couple the heat with the parking and traffic woes due to occur because of new stadium construction, and there's no way i'm going near the place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit