What should I ask Richard Dawkins tonight?

by the comet 34 Replies latest jw friends

• the comet
    the comet
    My amazing wife surprised me and bought tickets for us to hear Richard Dawkins tonight! He is giving a lecture with someone and then they are having a q&a session. Anyone have any suggestions for questions I could ask? Anything I think up I'm sure he's heard a million times before.
  • cappytan
    cappytan

What does he think of the Jehovah's Witnesses taking a quote from one of his books and putting it in an article to support creationism? Article here.

“The filament of DNA is information, a message written in a code of chemicals, one chemical for each letter,” wrote evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins. “It is almost too good to be true, but the code turns out to be written in a way that we can understand.”
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Is he 100% certain that God does not exist?
  • cofty
    cofty

That is a fantastic gift. Good for you.

I would want to ask him for his thoughts on the ENCODE project. Does he think that the public understanding of science is harmed by the way they published and sensationalised their results?

• cofty
    cofty
    Is he 100% certain that God does not exist?

He has answered that a few times already. He says something like he is as certain as he is that there is not a pink unicorn in his garden. On a scale of 1-7 he rated himself as a 6.

• Simon
    Simon
    That's a cool gift - lucky you!
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Cofty: On a scale of 1-7 he rated himself as a 6.

He is an agnostic then. Good for him. The intelligent man does not claim to know the unknowable.

Frank

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I second what cappytan said. That is what i was coming here to suggest. You will need to read the quote to him and share the context. Might start an interesting conversation.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Hold Me-Thrill Me: I can't remember what video it was, I think it was his debate with Cardinal Pell, but he said something similar to what cofty said above. EDIT: Here's the exact quote:

In the God Delusion I make a seven-point scale. One is I’m totally confident there is a God. Seven is I’m totally confident there is not a God. Six is to all intents and purposes I’m an atheist. I live my life as though there is no God but any scientist of any sense will not say that they positively can disprove the existence of anything. I cannot disprove the existence of the Easter Bunny and so I am agnostic about the Easter Bunny. It’s in the same respect that I am agnostic about God.
  • cofty
    cofty
    He is an agnostic then. Good for him

No he isn't. Let's not have that semantic argument yet again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit