My mum is brainwashed by JW

by walter_collins 24 Replies latest jw friends

• walter_collins
    walter_collins

My name is Walt COllins, I'm a 23 guy in Melbourne, Australia, migrated from the UK 4 years ago.
    I've been going through some pain lately, my mother (still in the
    UK) and I have really had a rough period and she's decided to put
    her religion before me and after many heated conversations, we are now no longer in contact.

She's a Jehova's Witness... and classes my homosexuality alongside
    acts of beastiality, I go against god's law. bla bla bla.
    For 8 years she has known about me and we've had an agreement not
    to discuss it and that I should shelter her from that part of my life.
    She was planning a visit to Melbourne but made it quite clear that
    I have to put on hold any links to my 'gayness' whilst shes here,
    including Leon (my partner of 2 years) and his family. She's written
    a 6 page religious crap letter to Leon's mum (who is Catholic yet
    has been amazing about the whole thing) saying how could she possibly
    condone our relationship... it's a nightmare.

This letter is damning, it's hurtful and it's infuriating. I told
    it';s best that she doenst come for a visit here. I've also told
    her that for 8 years I've accepted her religion and understood her
    recent decisions to convert to this cult but now no longer will
    I stand back and let her write and speak about her own son like
    this. I made it clear that I will hold a personal mission to create
    bad publicity against Jehovas Witnesses and that I have taken an
    active descision to no longer accept her religion. She told me that
    I will go to hell like the rest of them.. and that she no longer
    wants to hear from me...... this is so hurtful and I'm really devastated...
    theres more too it but I can't possible begin to write about it..
    it'd take forever..... I guess the reason I'm writing to you is
    for a bit of guidance or advice as to what to do... is it too harsh
    for me to finally stand up for my sexuality.. or should I respect
    the choices my mum has made and her views?

Also, I want people to know about the brainwashing views and acts
    of this religion.. and want to create some publicity in the UK about
    all of this..... there's so much anger inside of me.. I'm being eaten alive by all of this.

I'm a normal guy, an ambitious TV producer, not 'gay' acting, just
    a regular guy who was born differently in terms of sexual orientation...
    I play Aussie rules footy... ya cant get much more butch than that!!!!!!!

So.. sorry to write with such a miserable email... but I thought
    you may understand and have experience on these issues.

Looking forward to hearing from you with any advice

Warm regards'

Walter Collins

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Hello Walter,

Welcome to the forum. My mother is also in the JW's and will not leave. She also refused to visit me and my live in boyfriend until we were married.

However, she would never tell me what your mother did.

She told me that
    I will go to hell like the rest of them..

This is actually an odd statement for a JW. They do not believe in hell. Hopefully your mother understands that the religion she is so taken with says anyone who is an unbeliever will die at armageddon. Once you are dead, you have no soul to go to hell.

You will get reams of advice here. Keep posting and thank you for sharing your story.

• walter_collins
    walter_collins

Thaks for that... yeah.. she did say that come Armagedon I'll be banished like the rest of them.. or something along those lines.... it's tough, me and mum had such an amazing friendship and bond.. but she's NEVER accepted and said she never will fall into that trap.. it's so tough hey?!

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

Welcome Walter! and a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

I am glad to see you posted your story here! I am sure many here will be of great help to you! Please feel free to email me again if you ever want to talk or just vent!

Blessings,

Michelle

• Nowfree
    Nowfree

Hi,

It is a sad situation when the religion controls someone so much that they cannot even respect the decisions of their own family, put the differences to one side, and continue to have contact with those family members.

Unfortunately this is not an isolated incidence.

A JW is so controlled by the religion that they fear going against it, they become so brainwashed by it that they automatically assume they are always in the right because they are a JW. It doesn't matter what you say to them, how you try and reason with them, what questions you ask them, they will not budge.

With the JW religion, they are taught, through their Watchtowers and other publications that they are Gods religion, therefore anybody saying anything against them is persecution, and should be expected. Anything or anyone that contradicts the teachings from the Watchtower are controlled by Satan, this includes the media.

I tried for a long time to talk reasonably to a close family member who is a JW - they refused to get involved with social activities, or to keep their religion to the background ie put it to one side to allow family ties to continue. They were totally unable to do that - the religion had such an influence. All my attempts to compromise were thrown back in my face and I wasted a year of my life trying to negotiate peace!

If I were you I would give the JWs hell. Don't stop what you are doing just because your mother is a mind controlling cult.

Try not to let the situation depress you - focus on your own life, your own goals and ambitions.

Let me know if you need any specific info on the organisation and its teachings on certain matters. i have all the ammunition!! I have fired it at quite a few people already - all with good results!!!!

Nowfree

• walter_collins
    walter_collins

HI there nowfree thanks so much for your advice, glad to hear that I'm not alone when it comes to feeling like I dislike the religion. Rest assured.. when mum told me about her descision to become a JW, as went along to meetings, read the books, studied with her as that I could understand it all.

I'm not sure that a religion that puts god before your own flesh and blood is a good thing. Being a TV Producer and radio host, to the best of my power... I will do all I can to create negative news about this scenarro.

Feel free to email me mate.

Many warm regards

Walt

• josephus
    josephus

hi there.

your mum seems tough, allthough i did much the same when my sister moven in with her boyfriend, including the damming letter.

its difficult to deal with. i personally dont approve of homosexuality, but perhaps you could show her where the new testament equates it to gluttony.

Ask her how many fat people she treats so disrespectully.

either way its noones place here to judge you, least of all me, and i wish you well, and i hope you make some peace with your mother. allthough maybe shes just afraid youll take her the "gay marde gra"

:)

regards

josephus

• walter_collins
    walter_collins

Hey there, thanks for that... well I think a lot of people are not educated... being gay isn't a choice.... I absolutely did NOT wake up on a MOnday morning and think "I'll be gay from today!" why would I choose to ruin my life and go thro so much pain.. and cause others so much pain?

Gay people are born that way... just like my hair is brown!, So approving of gay people shouldnt really be an issue hey?!

Much respect for your comments tho, I'm completely grateful for your time and I'll keep you posted on what if anything happens with mum

Walt

• Kjell Hedblom
    Kjell Hedblom

Hi WALTER!!

Its sad to here about your familyproblems. Ive been a J.W. for 44 years but I am D.F. since exatcly 1 month ago.I must be honest with you: I dont like homosexuality (and that is my personal opinion) but if for example my oldest child,he is 27 year,if he told me one day that he had becom homosexual well then I wouldnt say one word about it and ofcource I would visit him,hug him and his boyfriend.

That goes for whether I am in OR out from JW. He is my son and I will always love him what so ever. I maybe wont be really happy about what happend to him but I have to part it away from what JW says and from that he is my son.It is sad that your mother have been that "brainwashed" that she have to comment so much about your sexuallity and forgotten that she have been carried you for 9 months in her stomage,given you breast and raised you.Maybe she should stand in front of a mirror and look at herself with a open mind and honestly re-think what she is doing.

She have a responsibility against you that will never end (until she died) and that is to continue to love you no matter what.

I totally agree with what NOWFREE is telling you.It needs no comments from me but his words are true.

I feel sorry for your situation with your mother and all the damages that this conflict has cost your both but dont give up!!

Maybe you need to copy out what alot of ex-JW says in this matter and other comments that may help you to change your mothers point of view. I wish you all good luck in the future.

Many Hugs from Kjell Hedblom with Family

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I love the "gluttony" reference! What a great correlation.

I recently sent my mom Crisis of Conscience. I am hoping she will read it.

I also point out the miserable track record of predicting armageddon. My mom agrees that the leaders of the org are flawed, however, what else is there? That is her standard response. She won't think for herself and is allowing her thoughts and feelings to be directed by old men in Brooklyn.

I am very sorry for you. Many here have been shunned for any number of reasons. It is impossible to believe that your mother will do this until you experience it.

I agree with Nowfree...focus on your life and future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit