ANYONE OWN A WATCH DOG? I NEED ONE

by Trotafox 34 Replies latest jw friends

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Dobies are good. My Brother has dobies for years.

But ever since I got a ROTT I am spoiled now for that particular breed.

They are incredible dogs!

I also have a PITT/AKITA who is also a super dog that nobody messess with, but has the sweetest disposition, extreemely gentle and lovable...If you are a friend who's welcome.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 29 June 2002 17:26:24

• SoulJah
    SoulJah

PLUM,

I'd love to see a picture of that pitt/akita [even in my email]

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

SoulJah: You have a Pit Bull. I'm not experienced enough or confident enough to handle that breed I'm afraid.

It's Just: German Shepherds are great dogs but too much hair. My friend had one and it was huge (over 100 lbs.; obviously overweight). It was like trying to walk around a horse all the time. I have a small house. I'm even beginning to wonder if a Doberman would be too big for the house. I don't know. They seem to be slimmer than a GS and a little more graceful.

Larc: I love Border Collies. Saw one working a herd of sheep once. Very impressive. High energy dogs though and they need a lot of space. Not good for my situation.

I never had a pup or a kitten so I never had the opportunity to train them to enjoy the car. My cat lost it's mind in the car every time (20 mins. of screaming) . I do see people down at the Petsmart store hanging around outside and inside with their young dogs so I assume this is a good "socializing" training techique. I really would like to do obedience training in order to maintain control. Mother and I are only 5'1". She only weighs 108 lbs. soaking wet. Me? Not up for discussion! A Doberman would be almost half our height.(Control...that's a nice word; ever try to control a cat! LOL)

Trot

Edited by - Trotafox on 29 June 2002 17:50:43

• Farkel
    Farkel

I have a "Watch Parrot."

But you can't have him!

Farkel

• plmkrzy
  • Francois
    Francois

Hey Trot:

That precursor breed I was trying to think of IS a Rottweilers. Dobermans are apparently a cross between a Greyhound and a Rottweiler. So if you wouldn't have a Rottweiler, you prolly don't want a Doberman either.

FT

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve got a 90 lb watch dog,a very powerful animal.I also have a 8 lb siamese cat,she is a lot more vicious than the dog,and very teritorial...OUTLAW

• termite 35
    termite 35

Hi,I did read a book a while ago about a woman who rode across Freance on horseback and had a Doberman for protection...She had to feed him by hand for weeks-every meal- then he started to stick to her like glue and protect her, and anything she 'owned'.She was scared of it though!She could'nt pat it or make a fuss of it-that dog was 'on duty' every hour of every day.

I'd be reluctant to have something that has been trained to protect to that degree; as i'd be worried that it would get out of control.

I used to have a large black mongrel-he looked intimidating-but had a fantastic personality;I taught him to bark on command(I just had to tap his collar,or say bark)which I felt was enough-as no one could tell how trained he was.I was followed in a wood when I was 19;eventually this guy stepped out in front of me;I did'nt need to tap the dogs' collar, he went mad,straining on his collar.I told the guy i'd let him off,and he ran off.I think if you have a good relationship with your dog he'll know who is a threat before you do and act accordingly.

Good luck in finding a good one!Don't get one you don't feel comfortable with though; if you back down and the balance of power shifts, you could get into trouble...it's a fine line with some dogs.

XX

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme
    It's Just: German Shepherds are great dogs but too much hair. My friend had one and it was huge (over 100 lbs.; obviously overweight). It was like trying to walk around a horse all the time. I have a small house. I'm even beginning to wonder if a Doberman would be too big for the house. I don't know. They seem to be slimmer than a GS and a little more graceful.

Yep, German Shepards do have PLENTY of hair! I'm not sure Doberman's are any smaller, though, but I gotta agree, Doberman's have a very graceful appearance to them!!

Good luck with whatever dog ya pick, I'm sure you'll give it a good home, and will be loved!!!!!

General Appearance

The appearance is that of a dog of medium size, with a body that is square. Compactly built, muscular and powerful, for great endurance and speed. Elegant in appearance, of proud carriage, reflecting great nobility and temperament. Energetic, watchful, determined, alert, fearless, loyal and obedient.

Size, Proportion, Substance

Height at the withers: Dogs 26 to 28 inches, ideal about 27 inches; Bitches 24 to 26 inches, ideal about 25 inches. The height, measured vertically from the ground to the highest point of the withers, equalling the length measured horizontally from the forechest to the rear projection of the upper thigh. Length of head, neck and legs in proportion to length and depth of body.

General Appearance

The first impression of a good German Shepherd Dog is that of a strong, agile, well muscled animal, alert and full of life. It is well balanced, with harmonious development of the forequarter and hindquarter. The dog is longer than tall, deep-bodied, and presents an outline of smooth curves rather than angles. It looks substantial and not spindly, giving the impression, both at rest and in motion, of muscular fitness and nimbleness without any look of clumsiness or soft living. The ideal dog is stamped with a look of quality and nobility--difficult to define, but unmistakable when present. Secondary sex characteristics are strongly marked, and every animal gives a definite impression of masculinity or femininity, according to its sex.

Size, Proportion, Substance

The desired height for males at the top of the highest point of the shoulder blade is 24 to 26 inches; and for bitches, 22 to 24 inches.
    The German Shepherd Dog is longer than tall, with the most desirable proportion as 10 to 8. The length is measured from the point of the prosternum or breastbone to the rear edge of the pelvis, the ischial tuberosity. The desirable long proportion is not derived from a long back, but from overall length with relation to height, which is achieved by length of forequarter and length of withers and hindquarter, viewed from the side.

• JWrobot
    JWrobot

I'm happy with my Rottweiler. My hero, G.Gorden Liddy says half Lab & half Rottweiler.His daughter has one, it went through the living room plate glass door to get a stranger in the back yard!

In your case with no yard ,I'd pass for some type of personal protection device.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit