ANYONE OWN A WATCH DOG? I NEED ONE

by Trotafox 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Does anyone own a WATCH DOG, paticularly a DOBERMAN PINSCHER?

Some on this Board know I love animals and I lost my Bingo cat last year. I really loved him to death but I have to admit that when it came to giving affection...forget it. He slept, ate, and pooped. Ah, but I loved him! and miss him.

Been tossing around idea of getting another 4-legged companion. My elderly mother and I live together so I thought perhaps I might consider owning a watch dog for both the companionship and security. Watch dog meaning one that is more intimidating than a 6 lb. ball of yapping fur (lovable as they are).

I may be getting into a line of business shortly where it will be necessary for me to be alone with home repairman and potential home owners on a regular basis. Since companies are not providing background checks on their employees (as publicized lately), I may be placing myself in a situation where I can be a victim but I also don't believe I should chuck what I want to do because something "might" happen. Some protection would be in order. I have a feeling that a Dob sitting in middle of a living room "eyeballing" every movement a repairman or buyer is making would have a serious influence on his behavior .... especially towards me. It's either that or (1) a gun , (2) martial arts (at my age? Ridiculous), or (3) rent-a-male (out of question ).

I'm not a fearful person; I just want to be wise in this day and age. I'm an independent sort and once sold everything I owned and traveled around the country...by myself...for a year and a half....working secretarial temp all the way. So I'm not really afraid to be alone....yet. But times are getting worse and I live in an over 55 community which is sometimes a target for punks who haven't got anything else better to do than terrorize elderly people.

From what I read, Dobs seem to be a friendly, protective, and affectionate breed if trained appropriately and a nice short coat to maintain. We live within walking distance of a very nice small park where he could be exercised (I think...have to check if they allow dogs...don't know). No yard to speak of, though. Obedience training probably a good idea. I'm up for that. I had a friend in that business. No problem. I owned two dogs previously but they were both dogs with behavioral problems that I got from the pound as full grown. Didn't work. I never owned a pet from the "baby" stage.

YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE!

Trotafox

Edited by - Trotafox on 29 June 2002 13:55:18

Edited by - Trotafox on 29 June 2002 13:56:53

• SoulJah
    SoulJah

http://backwoodspits.com/
    all the myths about these dogs are not true. just be sure to sosialize them while they're young, and make sure you have alot of time to play with them. they remain in the puppy play frame of mind all of their life.

I have children also, and my Tiger is their best freind

• sf
    sf

Oh you mean like 'Demon Dawg' (she will stare you down (intense eyes) and make you run for your life)...come into yahoo sometime and you can hear her on mic. Ask CYGNUTS...he and 'DD' are very close. ROFLOL

Seriously, she is a chocolate brown/black pitbull/ dobie mix puppy about a year old. She is massive already (solid muscle) and an excellent watchdog. This/ these dogs are extremely strong. I have bruise to prove that. And her claws are an asset.

She was abandoned by the train tracks and rescued by my friend the brought to me. 'Choco' could be a search and resuce dog. I've even considered looking into how she might be 'considered' for such a life.

I hope you find what you're looking for. Now with the interet, you should be able to research the exact type of dog you NEED. These dogs are lovers too. Pits get a bad rap. Choco kicks ass!

Sincerely, sKally

• Francois
    Francois

I have a pair of Aussies, Australian Shepards, and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are surpassed in intelligence only by the Border Collie, and are child-friendly, family-oriented dogs. I lived out in the "woods" for a couple of years, and no one could get within a half mile of my home without my being notified way in advance by my Aussie "Foster." I never heard a thing.

They are really lovable dogs, too. I thought about Dobermans, but I just want my watchdog to notify me of possible intruders, not eat the intruders for lunch. Insurance companys are taking a dim view of that. Did you see the piece on Fox about it? A couple who had a pair of those big black and tan predecessor dogs of the Doberman line (I forget what they're called, but they look like fat dobermans with flat faces) were refused homeowner's insurance because of their dogs. Another couple whose ten-pound dog had a history of biting were also refused homeowners insurance. Pickle city.

Be careful.

Francois

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

Souljah: Thanks for responding. Puppy mind frame, huh. That's sounds nice considering I received very little attention from my cat for 14 years (he received a lot but I didn't...which is typical cat) and he just REFUSED to play. I never had him as a kitten and would go through a breeder for a pup.

I have no children and my house is small. It's not exactly a whirlwind of people coming and going. In fact, it's almost nil since leaving the JW's so there just aren't going to be a lot of people in and out of my house. He (or she) would get alot of attention, however, from me and my mother and lots of walking and some running around in the park across the street (if allowed...still gotta check). He (or she) would be going on some property inspections with me, I guess, which may require some traveling by car and being around other people.

Do you see any problem with that kind of environment?

Trot

• larc
    larc

Trot, If you take your dog for car rides when they are young, they will just love it. Also, if you have them on a leash around other people at a young age, they will be quite accustomed to that when they are fully grown. When our kids were little, we got a border collie. As Francois pointed out, they are very intelligent and easy to train. One advantage to border collies is that they look cute and don't scare kids as easily. Nonetheless, the can scare anyone who intrudes on their territory. The disadvantage is their thick coats - they shed a lot and probably would be uncomfortable in your climate. Also, they bark at the slightest new sound, which is good for protection, but can get annoying.

• Trotafox
    Trotafox

YIKES Francois. Never thought I'd have to check my homeowner's policy for owning a Doberman. I do know I want nothing to do with Pitbulls and Rottweilers (sp?). Sorry P and R owners. Too risky. They're from a "fighting" breed lineage, I believe. I don't think a Dob would eat someone for lunch unless he was trained to do so. Souljah you agree? Aussies sound like they have a lot of hair. Don't do hair...not loads of it, anyway. I don't live in the woods. I live in a small 2 bedroom, 2 bath house, with a bunch of old people. Of course, they'll probably have heart attacks when they see a Doberman (but secretly want one themselves).

...those big black and tan predecessor dogs of the Doberman line (I forget what they're called, but they look like fat dobermans with flat faces

Souljah: What would this be? Predecessor or predator? (Predator: one that preys, destroys, or devours). Dogs don't prey, destroy, or devour (people anyway) unless they are trained to or mistreated and the lineage is more of one of a fighting dog. A predatorial dog is a dog an OWNER turned into a monster. A Dob is of a working dog lineage; not fighting dog lineage.

I love it's sleekness and elegant movement, too. Of course, the intimidation factor is great for a single lady.

((()))

Trot

Edited by - Trotafox on 29 June 2002 15:39:55

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

Hi Trotafox,

Have you considered German Shepards? I am a big fan of these dogs, although I currently do not have one, I've had them in the past..

German Shepards make great pets, and they are very loyal to the 'family' (I.E. You and your mother), and any intruder or otherwise better be 'on guard'.. If you want one that can be a 'guardian/protector', however, I would recommend (as I would with any dog that has a temperment that naturally lends itself to protector/guardian, as German Shepards, Doberman's and Pit Bulls do) to bring it to obeince classes, as a mistrained dog can be dangerous (as is the case with most pit bulls/dobermans that you've heard about in the news etc)...

But, German Shepards don't have the same 'rap' as the Pit Bull/Doberman's do, and I think you'll find that the dog will be more easily approachable by strangers than if you had a pit bull/Doberman.. German Shepards are seen alot as police dogs etc, so people are used to them, and know that if it is trained properly they are completely safe to be around, unlike the perception that this is not true with Dobermans/Pit Bulls, who many people think 'snap' all by themselves.. This, of course, is not really true, as it was that they weren't trained to 'channel' their aggresiveness properly, or were abused in some way, which is why they usually attack, but I've not heard one case yet that involved a German Shepard doing such.

Edited by - itsjustlittleoldme on 29 June 2002 15:59:14

Edited by - itsjustlittleoldme on 29 June 2002 16:2:8

• SoulJah
    SoulJah

Dogs are what you want them to be. my amstaff is my freind & really the most he would do is knock you over and lick you to death!

check your mail for further suggestions

• SoulJah
    SoulJah

as far as my pit being a working dog; I take him up to my freinds property to pull logs out of the woods to be cut into firewood. No joke, all i have to do is tie a rope around the log; tell'em, get the rope boy, and up the hill he pulls the log [8-10 inch diameter x6-8 feet long]. Of course he just thinks it's a game that we PLAY.

again dogs act the way they are trained to act.As a matter as fact my dog definatly wimpers & crys for attention more than he barks. Also if all the other dogs in the neighborhood are barking, Tiger doesn't. he knows when someones around but refuses to bark until they are within 6 feet of the fence/house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit