Interested in running the Watchtower Observer?

by Kent 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Kent
    Kent

I have been asked what kind of trafic we're talking about, since GB per month is something many people will have to take into consideration. We're talking about 200 to 500 MB a day, it depends on how many images/files are downloaded. Every image is a thumbnail, and klicking the thumbnail brings up the big file. Since the Observer was changed to the last layout, there has been 2204866 page views; 13384789 hits, 171541 different IP addresses. Average page views per day is 6034 since May 28. Since the same date, 36687 articles in the news-section has been read - that's more page views than the first page, which is 31617. JW and Society had 21935 page views - just to give you an idea. So, it will take some GB per month :) I believe this is something to take into consideration as well. Kent

• unclebruce
  • SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

bttt

are there any updates on this?

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

Can every Aussie buy a ticket in the lottery this weekend? It's a huge prize and if one of us won, we could pay Kent a very handsome salary to keep TWO going.. just a thought...

• Prisca
    Prisca

Thanks for the reminder for the lottery Mazza

• abbagail
    abbagail

BTT

And I hope all the folks who are thinking they might can help WO/Kent, please remember to email Kent directly, as he said he is so busy he doesn't have time to keep checking the forums, even his own at WOF, but to please email him directly. Just a friendly reminder 'cuz I want WO to keep living, too. :(

-------------

Kent wrote:

"So, folks. Dont expect me to spend much time here the next days because I really do have a hell of a lot of meetings and shit to take care of. But the people interested in such a deal and the ones also having the guts to risk the wrath of the losers in the Witchpower Libel & Crap Society please send me a mail. My address is still [email protected]"

--------------

GRITS
    Btw, how much $$ would it take to bail him out? Maybe we could take up a "collection"...

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

bttt

how much $$ would it take to bail him out? Maybe we could take up a "collection"...

very good question!

Anyone know...

maybe Simon could help us with that.

• obiefernandez
    obiefernandez

It doesn't seem to be the money aspect that is bothering him. I'm betting that he's just tired of it. I wrote him an email just now about taking it over.

• Kent
    Kent

Hi All!

I want to thank everyone who has offered help to keep the Watchtower Observer running in the future, both those who have offered to actually host and edit the website, and also to those who have offered technical assistance.

It seems we have found a solution - and we're working on finding the right way to do this. Since the Watchtower Observer is my baby, and it was the first Ex-JW site online - I am a bot careful who I will put in charge of it. I would rather kill the site than see it went in a direction I can't approve.

However, we have been offered webspace and server capacity - and the traffic won't be a problem. That way the new editor won't have to pay blood for the load of traffic. Also, we're working on adapting a database publishing system, since that's the only reasonable way to handle large amounts of information.

At the time being I won't say anything about who I'm working with - but I took the time to give this piece of information. It seems the Observer will be online in the future as well, and the ones being worried it would go down in flames can relax.

Another great thing about database publishing is the posibility of having many editors - many can help transfer material to the new site when it's set up. I'm sure the new editor will be happy if anyone offered to help in doing this. The user-interface for adding material should not be hard to understand, and the work involved considered, I would hope some of the people who were afraid the site would go down will help out adding the material from the site that's running today to the new site when time comes.

When I have any more spesific info, I will tell you!

Yachyd Da

Kent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit