"The Note"

by AuSet 39 Replies latest jw friends

• mommy
    mommy

OK so maybe I did not give all the details, mind you I was young at the time. And you know how those things get downplayed. All I know is what I saw with my own eyes. He was very well known in the whole circuit, and district. As far as his official "title" I couldn't tell you I know one of them was presiding overseer. He was on the stage often, I remember that though. I was friends with his wife's daughter and visited their home once.
    As for Expatbrit's comment

On another subject: this morning I woke up in the bathtub which was full of ice. I'm starting to feel a little unwell. Does anyone know what might be going on?......

Please explain.
    LDH,
    Yes we went maybe twice to the Niagra Falls conventions, but I don't remember much of them, I was pretty disenchanted by then and kept falling asleep for some strange reason! LOL
    wendy

• SONOITA48
    SONOITA48

He may have been a PO. :-) On some occasions PO's
    are substitutes for CO's or DO's in the case of illness.

Sonoita

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Or he may have been a PO who did substitute CO work, and then, due an influenza epedimic, was called upon to take the place of the Big Kahuna himself, the DO. He no doubt decided it was now or never, he would probably never get the chance to DA himself while serving in the DO capacity again.

Does that little scenario bring back any latent memories from your childhood Wendy?

No?

All I know is, if we keep discussing the level of spiritual studliness of this guy, we will be as boring as the people we left behind.

Expat, check your ribs, there may be a woman in your future.

Edited by - SixofNine on 7 March 2001 22:24:58

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Mommy:

One of the more ridiculous urban legends is the old "organ harvest scam".

It goes something like this:

You meet an attractive person, get on well, and end up having a wild time with them, either at your place or theirs. They slip you a sleeper. Next morning, you wake up in the the bath packed in ice. Usually in the tale, there is a note or a phone call later in the day informing you that one of your kidneys/lungs/some other essential organ has been removed, and you'd better get some attention quick!

Amazing that people actually get taken in by this stuff! Thank goodness we can trust the Watchtower and Awake mags. implicitly!

Expatbrit (having a nagging suspicion that something he said might not have been quite right...)

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Just my little comment about deviating from the strict material at conventions. You may have noticed (or not if totally braindead after 3 or 4 days of a DC) that the last talk is usually given by a DO. In that talk there are a few highlights from the assembly, some news from around the world and any notable events, good experiences or press coverage that happened at the assembly. It is the one talk where the the DO speaking can add something to the script. Invariably the last talk went over time which usually helped add to the heatiness of the applause of "thank God it is over" after the final talk.

On urban legends. I was told by a CO that a PO of a congregation had been DF'd for smoking. In fact he had been smoking for 12 years and kept it secret (from the time the outright ban was introduced until he was caught.) Unbelievable? It was supposed to be true, and obviously we elders and MS's were all shocked and appalled...or preteded to be!

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• mommy
    mommy

Expatbrit,
    Thank you for explaining That happened to me once too Just kidding!
    wendy

• Sassenach
    Sassenach

Xandit

mommy where did that happen, and when? That's fascinating, once I almost kicked over the traces myself that way.

Xandit, I'm trying to translate, you almost DA'd yourself in that manner? What stopped you? Did you have a speech planned or was it a fleeting thought?

Edited by - Sassenach on 8 March 2001 10:34:33

• TR
    TR

Wendy,

I would have paid an admission price to see someone DA themselves at a convention!

TR

• Xandit
    Xandit

Sassenach I've always had a tendency to make rude gestures in the face of authority and it almost overcame me on the stage at the assembly )Just a momentary impulse.

mommy I may be many things but I am not common.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I think their talks are like the Zodiac signs. You make one for each month and it supposed to dictate what happens to everyone born in that month. It, probably, was a generic talk and your sister felt like they were talking only to her, just like a bunch of other teenagers who were, probably, thinking about doing the same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit