"The Note"

by AuSet 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Xandit
    Xandit

Assemblies are pretty tightly structured. It's almost unheard of to deviate from the program in any way. I've heard a couple of these stories before over the years and went to the trouble of running them down. The ones I checked were simply not true. My favorite was the drunk driver that killed someone and was disfellowshipped on the spot by a committee consisting of the DO, CO, and Assembly Chair.

I happened to know the DO, CO and Assembly Chair, got some real blank looks on that one.

• ianao
    ianao
    It's almost unheard of to deviate from the program in any way.

Now that'e believable.

• Xandit
    Xandit

I believe you've said you're not a Witness and so you won't know much about the way Assemblies work. Just to clear it up for you, they might say something like there's an ice storm coming and you need to leave promptly after the session, or the parking lot is blocked at a particular exit, but it never goes further than that. Reading little notes found in the trash just sounds completely unreal to me and I've been associated with a lot of assembly programs.

The only real possiblity is that this is North Dakota we're talking about and there's not a lot to do in North Dakota other than count telephone poles so maybe they needed a little excitement.

Edited by - Xandit on 5 March 2001 14:1:43

• ianao
    ianao
    I believe you've said you're not a Witness and so you won't know much about the way Assemblies work.

The JWs that have explained them to me would beg to differ with you. Not that it really matters anyway.

Still not nice to call others a liar though. tsk. tsk.

• normie67
    normie67

This smacks of Urban Legend Status as stated above!!!As somebody still in the Org, this typoe of thing, announcing from the platform is not correct. I am not saying somebody's curiosity did not get the best of them, but Noway it was Announced from the stage....

Just my 2 cents!!
    normie

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

I agree - it has UL written all over it.

Remember, the "we'll get you" mentality, while very real, is not the kind of image that they would want to have shown in as public a forum as an assembly anyway.

• philo
    philo

As for reading it aloud, I am dubious. But a JW taking it in his grubby mitts to 'the authorities' has a ring of truth which you can't so easily dismiss. Informers all over, eh?

• Mim
    Mim

My friend Val and I, both ex Jehovah's Witnesses raised in the "untruth" from birth practically have come up with a formula for this one.

If "Zealot A" picks up said note, and brings it to "Zealot B" and if one has a assembly overseer known for is deviation from the schedule (this does happen particulary up north in British Columbia) then both of us could see this happening! No matter what they may say, the Borg loves GOSSIP!

• AuSet
    AuSet

I must admit the story does sound unbelievable and not congruent with your typical district convention. But, I assure you, this is not an "urban legend." Believe me, I would like to convince myself that this never happened.

Is there anyone with a connection to any higher-ups at the WBTS? If so, they may be able to verify my story. They had probably known for years about the after sessions parties but been unable to find concrete evidence that this was going on.

I am aware that the reading of the note deviated from the normal program. The last talk of the final day of convention is usually a pep talk for everyone in attendance, where new stats are read, and there are stories of encouragement from other countries around the world. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the last talk usually given by the visiting Bethelite? If so, than that was the person who read the note! (At the time, I was too shocked to pay attention!)

Xandit: I challenge you to follow this one all the way up!

• mommy
    mommy

Hey all
    I have a personal story and guarantee it is not an urban legend, so please don't try to challenge
    On the last talk at the last day of a DC the PO was making the final talk. During this talk he announced he was DA himself and started to give the reasons why. He was roughly taken from the stage, I thought he had collapsed because he was almost dragged off.
    About 1 year later I saw him again. He did leave the org and he was a happier man. Isn't it funny how all of us are?
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit