OUCH ! Wall Street Journal SPITS out the JWs!!

by deddaisy 22 Replies latest social current

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

I saw this in the Wall Street Journal, Friday, June 21, 2002, page W15...It's a good article, unfortunately, I had to type it because I can't find the article on-line.....so forgive the typo's....

Houses of Worship / By Jason L. Riley

Door-to -Door, Disturbingly

In an interview published just after his death last month, Harvard paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould said: "Life is too short to debate with the Jehovah's Witnesses who ring your bell and want to talk for two hours."

Mr. Gould would know. The evolutionary theorist counted the sect among his fiercest critics. And apparently at least some Supreme Court justices share his sentiment, along with millions of American householders. But that doesn't mean the court's ruling this week-the one reasserting the constitiutional right of Witnesses to annoy their neighbors with door-to-door proselytizing-was wrong.

Monday's 8-1 decision struck down a Stratton, Ohio, ordinance requiring anyone going door-to-door to register with authouities and get a permit. Writing for the majority, Justice John Paul Stevens was unequivocal. "It is offensive," he wrote, "not only to the values protected by the First Amendment but to the very notion of a free society, that in the context of everyday public discourse a citizen must first inform the government of her desire too speak to her neighbors."

The court called the law, which covered both political and religious canvassing, a dramatic departure from our "constitutional tradition." Indeed, that tradition owes a lot to fringe groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses, whose litigious pedigree dates back six decades and includes more than two-dozen Supreme Court rulings. Those precedents pepper the latest decision, and even the lone dissenter, Chief Justice William Rehnquist, didn't deny that the Stratton ordinance posed First Amendment problems.

I was raised a Witness and left voluntarily in my teens. I cringe at the evergrowing case law that links this particular group to these particular constitutional protections. The theory is sound, but the reality is maddening. The Witnesses themselves blend qualities of zealotry and authoritarianism at odds with the ideals of a democratic society.

The Witnesses, who claim six million members world-wide, are overseen by the Governing Body - a small group of "anointed" men who profess an ability to channel instructions from God. They hold complete doctrinal authority and brook no dissent from the rank and file. (Although there have long been many blacks in the rank and file, only recently have they been allowed into the Governing Body.) Independent thinking is forbidden. Church members are required to turn in dissenters. Conformity is enforced with threats of shunning. That so much First Amendment precedent is put in the service of these pseudotheocratic dictators is unsettling, even if it is necessary.

Preoccupied with apocalyptic dates, Witnesses are criticized for changing course as their predictions go unrealized. But wrongheadedness is a part of their tradition. The sect began in Pennsylvania in the 1870s under Charles Taze Russell, who abandoned the Adventist movement after a prediction of Christ's second coming failed. Borrowing heavily from the teachings of Adventists and other date-obsessed sects, Russell formed his own movement, which would later adopt the name "Jehovah's Witnesses."

Russell pointed to 1914 as the year that God would set up his kingdom on earth, displace all governments and destroy everyone except "Russellites" (as they were known at the time), who would inherit a paradise on earth and live forever. Russell died disappointed in 1916, and his successors have changed dates and predictions many times since.

Yet when members come knocking, the message they deliver is essentially the same. Join us or perish: The world as we know it will end any day now, and only Jehovah's Witnesses will survive to live eternally in an earthly paradise.

Personally, I favor a wait-and-see approach, and I take comfort in knowing that at least two justices share my queasiness. A separate concurrence in Monday's ruling, written by Antonin Scalia and joined by Clarence Thomas, had just the right tone of resignation. "If our free-speech jurisprudence is to be determined by the predicted behavior of such crackpots, we are in a sorry state indeed."

(Emphasis added)

Edited by - deddaisy on 23 June 2002 0:54:8

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

A big THANK YOU to Deddaisy for typing that in for our enjoyment.

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

thank you Nathan! I have to admit, I'm not the fastest typist.....but that writer was so brutally honest, I had to post the article......

dd

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

WOW!

Great post and VERY interesting article, Dedaisy!

The Wall Street Journal isn't found on my coffee table, so I wouldn't have seen this! LOL!

Hugs,

Annie

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Interesting article, but apparently the author either failed to read the Court's opinion or intentionally misrepresented it when he implied that the Jehovah's Witnesses were the "crackpots" referred to in the concurrence written by Scalia and Thomas: "If our free-speech jurisprudence is to be determined by the predicted behavior of such crackpots, we are in a sorry state indeed."

The "crackpots" referred to in the concurring opinion of Scalia and Thomas are those the majority of the Court referred to in its opinion as "patriotic citizens who have such firm convictions about their constitutional right to engage in uninhibited debate in the context of door-to-door advocacy, that they would prefer silence to speech licensed by a petty official." Clearly, this cannot describe Jehovah's Witnesses. "Patriotic" is an adjective that has no applicability whatsoever to Jehovah's Witnesses, and it is unlikely the upholding of the Stratton ordinance would silence the affected Jehovah's Witnesses.

The author made an excellent point when he said, "[t]hat so much First Amendment precedent is put in the service of these pseudotheocratic dictators is unsettling, even if it is necessary." Similar to the author, I find it very ironic that the folks who are arguing in favor of free speech are those who respect it the least as it concerns the "sheep" who are subject to their control. The "respect" shown by the Jehovah's Witness organization to freedom of speech within their organization is similar to the respect freedom of speech was given by the Taliban while they were still in control of Afghanistan.

Chief Justice William Rehnquist dissented against the majority and concurring opinions in favor of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Although I've seldom agreed with any of his opinions in the past, this time Rehnquist was right on in his dissent. As he points out, a major flaw in the Court's reasoning was its failure to make clear the standard of review it was applying to the case. Intermediate scrutiny was appropriate, and Rehnquist provides an excellent analysis of how the Stratton ordinance passes this level of review. The majority opinion deemed it unnecessary to resolve the issue of what standard of review was applicable, but this position is not consistent with its past rulings. It is interesting that Rehnquist referred to the fact that the town of Stratton was an underdog because unlike the Jehovah's Witnesses, they "do not have a team of [12] attorneys at their ready disposal."

Given current headlines, it is also interesting to note that in a portion of his dissent discussing the crime preventative aspects of the Stratton ordinance, Rehnquist referenced a recent incident of "a man going door-to-door purportedly on behalf of a church group who committed multiple sexual assaults." Did he watch Dateline or was this reference purely coincidental? I wonder.

• SYN
    SYN

What an excellent flame! Great to see the mainstream press finally saying something a bit more meaty about the Tower!

They hold complete doctrinal authority and brook no dissent from the rank and file. (Although there have long been many blacks in the rank and file, only recently have they been allowed into the Governing Body.) Independent thinking is forbidden.

Spot on!

• Nanoprobe
  • crawdad2
    crawdad2

gov body,......... i was just wondering about your "motive" for making sure you have the legal right to go door to door in the usa............. obviously you don't promote "freedom of speech" in your congregations, and are against it, ...in fact, anyone who even suggests a viewpoint contrary to the gov body's enforced opinions, is taken to the back rooms and reproved or disfellowshipped........................... so, since you are obviously against "freedom of speech"....... what was your ...."motive"??? ..........did it have more to do with sales, and advertizing???

Edited by - crawdad2 on 23 June 2002 13:45:5

• deddaisy
    deddaisy

144thousand, I found the Supreme Court case, and agree, the writer quoted Scalia, but only in part.(when referring to "crackpots") I'm posting the relevant text of the opinion of the court and the full text of Scalia, with Thomas, concurring in judgment, for anyone that's interested. Scalia's statement is a bit confusing, even in full text....

WATCHTOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF NEW YORK, INC., ET AL.,
    PETITIONERS v. VILLAGE OF STRATTON ET AL.

No. 00-1737

SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES

70 U.S.L.W. 4540

February 26, 2002, Argued
    June 17, 2002, Decided

OPINION: JUSTICE STEVENS delivered the opinion of the Court.

Second, requiring a permit as [*31] a prior condition on the exercise of the right to speak imposes
    an objective burden on some speech of citizens holding religious or patriotic views. As our World
    War II-era cases dramatically demonstrate, there are a significant number of persons whose religious
    scruples will prevent them from applying for such a license. There are no doubt other patriotic
    citizens, who have such firm convictions about their constitutional right to engage in uninhibited
    debate in the context of door-to-door advocacy, that they would prefer silence to speech licensed
    by a petty official.

JUSTICE SCALIA, with whom JUSTICE THOMAS joins, concurring in the judgment.

I concur in the judgment, for many but not all of the reasons set forth in the opinion for the Court. I
    do not agree, for example, that one of the causes of the invalidity of Stratton's ordinance is that
    some people have a religious objection to applying for a permit, and others (posited by the Court)
    "have such firm convictions about their constitutional right to engage in uninhibited debate in the
    context of door-to-door advocacy, that they would prefer silence to speech licensed by a petty

official." Ante, at 16.

If a licensing requirement is otherwise lawful, it is in my view not invalidated by the fact that some
    people will choose, for religious reasons, to forgo speech rather than observe [*38] it. That would
    convert an invalid free-exercise claim, see Employment Div., Dept. of Human Resources of Ore.
    v. Smith, 494 U.S. 872 (1990), into a valid free-speech claim -- and a more destructive one at that.
    Whereas the free-exercise claim, if acknowledged, would merely exempt Jehovah's Witnesses
    from the licensing requirement, the free-speech claim exempts everybody, thanks to Jehovah's Witnesses.

As for the Court's fairy-tale category of "patriotic citizens," ante, at 16, who would rather be
    silenced than licensed in a manner that the Constitution (but for their "patriotic" objection) would
    permit: If our free-speech jurisprudence is to be determined by the predicted behavior of such
    crackpots, we are in a sorry state indeed.

(Emphasis added)

• sf
    sf

"I was raised a Witness and left voluntarily in my teens".:

Jason Riley is a senior editorial page writer for The Wall Street Journal. He joined the paper in 1994 as a copyreader on the national news desk in New York. He moved to the editorial page in 1995 as copyreader and later became a copy editor. In April 1996, he was named to the newly created position of editorial interactive editor and maintained the editorial and Leisure & Arts section of WSJ.com. He was named a senior editorial page writer in March 2000.

Born in Buffalo, N.Y., Mr. Riley earned a bachelors degree in English from the State University of New York at Buffalo. He has also worked for USA Today and the Buffalo News.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit