facial hair and dubs

by not interested 22 Replies latest jw friends

• not interested
    not interested

this morning as i was trimming my beard, i was thinking about when i was a drone and the times that iws counseled about my 5:00 shadow at the meetings, and i rembered a time when my dad was told to go and trim his sideburns b 4 he could go on stage at an assembly.

at one time it promted a friend of mine and I to write a letter to the society, since they could change thier minds on doctrinal issues as the light gets brighter we thought maybe we could get them to change thier minds on this issue, (yeah right)

a few months later he recived a letter from the society the essence of it was like this : it would not be inapproiate for a brother to wear a nice trim beard but the elders in the local area would have to detirmin if it would be acceptable for the brother to be used in the cong. and go door to door, as some areas might be more open to it than others. (nice way to pass the buck huh)

well he took this letter to the elders about 2 weeks later (we both had pretty nice growth at this point) how do you think the elders handled this? we were both severly repremanded for going over thier heads and not having RESPECT for the elder body, and were promptly had our privelages taken away.

so what im wondering is this ;

we have all seen sisters that had mustaches and beards that would make a 20 year old jealous, is that acceptable, can you imagine a pioneer sister at the door and the householder not even listening to her because they are looking at the crumbcather on her lip. If its unacceptable for brothers to have facial hair then why should it be ok for sisters sto have it?

I know it would be very hard for a elder to lovingly council a sister about this but it would be for the glory of Jehovah would it not and surly the sister would not be offended because the brothers would make her feel good about having to shave and Jehovah would bless her for it right?

if its such a unified org. then i say to all sisters "Gillett mach 3 and Edge gell make a nice combination"

sincerly,

"not interested"

• SpiderMonkey
    SpiderMonkey

hahaha! a low blow, NI, but LOL all the same ;) am I remembering this correctly? isn't the position on beards in the US different from the position on beards in Russia, because of climate & cultural acceptability? & if so, why don't the "Greek Scriptures" speak out on beards, since those writers lived in Roman times, and Romans favored the clean-shaven look? & who here could possibly say they've never seen a beard that "looks good," whereas *every* mustache they've ever seen was acceptable?

one more man-made rule

SpiderMonkey

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

There have been many threads started on this very subject.

In fact, about the time I first registered here, I posed questions on the very same topic.

You may find this interesting reading.:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=18439&site=3

You could also go to the "Search" prompt in the upper left corner of the JW.com forum page and type in "facial hair" or "beards" and I am sure you would find interesting reading.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Did you not read, "...but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her?" I have always regarded this as meaning facial hair as well. Of course, this wouldn't include leg hair, because I knew a sister who was counseled to shave her legs or not go out in service (granted, it was very dark and long).

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

This scripture about hair, the long and short of it, also goes into head coverings. Perhaps this is where men got the idea for paper bags over women's heads?

• not interested
    not interested

wind,

if a womand long hair is to her glory and that includes facial hair then i guess we should council our sisters on not shaving at all, no shaving of the armpits leggs private areas aka(bikini line)and as far as this goes i guess no plucking eyebrows or nose hair........OMG.. just imagin how bad all the sisters would look maybe this will help stop the sisters from being attractive to the brothers and cut down on loos conduct in ther org. ....ya know i think i may be on to somthing or im on somthing one of hte two i think i will write the society and make this suggestion what so you think

not interested

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Hi, not interested, I think that is a very good idea, send the suggestion to Brooklyn.

I would also suggest that the sisters start knitting large hoods for head coverings. You know how jw men are so picky about looks: they will need the hoods so that they can have sex with these hairy women.

• spaz
    spaz

I knew a Greek sister who had short cranium hair and long nostril hairs which melded with her crumbcatcher; she also had a voluminous amount of pubic hair which protruded through her panties fabric and through the button-up fly on her trousers and which gave her much chagrine after she'd finished peeing in the urinal in the 'brothers' restroom. It was quite a sight to watch her urinate; she dropped her draws to the floor, arched backwards and streamed forth. After watching her so urinate I suggested to the elders that they install a urinal in the 'sisters' restroom so as to eliminate those pesky long waits that women traditionally complain about. It was a perplexing issue because most elders squat down to pee. In their wisdom they simply elected to change the gender signs on the restroom doors.

• Francois
    Francois

The beard issue was actually the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Now, here's the society attempting to put us back under Law by saying that the great "principles" still apply - even though we're not under law (if you're going to apply the principles, then we're still under the law that enunciated those principles, but the average J-dub is too damn dumb to realize when he's being led down the primrose path. But I digress).

The society has said, in print, that if you know you have bad brakes on your car and you take people out in service, have a wreck in that car, and someone is killed then you are bloodguilty...because of the principle involved, naturally.

Now, never mind for the moment that this attempt to bring us back under law violates both the spririt and letter of the letter to the Galatians, let's say the society is correct that we are still to be guided by the "principles" of the Law.

Well, the damned law states very clearly that men are not to trim the corner of their beards. Now I submit that shaving the whole thing off goes way beyond just trimming the corner of it.

So out of one side of their mouths the GB is arguing that we are bound by the principles of the Law while at the same time and out of the other side of their mouths they are saying NO beards immediately creating an unresolvable intellectual conflict - a cognitive dissonance.

Why, a body could go nuts attempting to live up to that kind of ambiguity.

As I've said so often before, I say the WTBTS is a cult, and I say fuck 'em.

Francois

Edited by - Francois on 22 June 2002 17:33:27

• garybuss
    garybuss
    As I've said so often before, I say the WTBTS is a cult, and I say fuck 'em.

Two very good sayings, I'd say :-)

gb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit