demonized child

by finnrot 31 Replies latest jw friends

• finnrot
    finnrot

I was raised a Witness, and I was always told that demons were everywhere. I was told that if you let your mind open to "wrong" thinking that demons will invade you and take over. And just about anything could get you demonized. Which of course led me to believe that demons were everywhere, especially when I was alone.

I remember when I was a small child at the Kingdom Hall, I overheard some brothers talking about another brother who went to see a movie about the devil and demons. They said that when this brother went to bed that as he lay there he could feel something sit down at the bottom of his bed. They said that the brother began to say the name of Jehovah over and over until the demon left. I know this sounds ridiculous, but these freaks beleived it and as a little kid I didn't know any better.

For many years I was scared shitless as I lay in bed, always thinking I could feel the bottom of my bed going down as if somebody or something was sitting there, waiting for me to even think about demons. And of course that's all I could think about.

I sure as hell wish I was raised by a pack of wolves, instead of those freaks.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

You know what's funny...it depends on what Hall you go to!

I guess we know which one you got stuck with...Bummer!

I went to one hall where they were terrified of demons! They refused to go to rummage sales because there might be a "Demon" lurking!

Then I went to a different Hall and they lived to go to rummage sales..

I never could figure that out????

Golden Girl...

• avengers
  • Francois
    Francois

For part of my career I attended a congregation in Kingsport, Tennessee. And those mountain folk put a great deal of store in deeeminz. They had come down to town from way back up in the hollows and valleys and hills way the hell and gone out in the mountains, and they brought their deeemin stories with then, incorporating them into the JW belief in gremlins.

The JWs were really convenient for them, since they already had a built-in tendency to believe in an active spirit world. And these folk from out in the mountains were already predisposed with an active imagination. It was just nutty; absolutely nutty. But then, that's the JW religion: nutty.

Francois

• You Know
    You Know

I sure as hell wish I was raised by a pack of wolves, instead of those freaks.

Judging by your picture it appears that you were raised by a pack of wolves. LOL / You Know

• finnrot
    finnrot

I tried to post a picture of an orangutan holding his schlong with his foot, but what you see is what showed up in my profile pic, so I just left it that way.

When I was a kid, I was watching Bewitched on television when my grandparents were over visiting. My grandfather wouldn't enter the room because Bewitched was a demonized show and he wouldn't come near the family room while the show was on, so my parents made me change the channel.

A show like that was on their T.V. one evening and so my grandmother rushed over to the T.V. to turn it off. When she walked away the T.V. came on again, they were convinced that the demons had turned the show back on. back then you had to go up to the T.V. and push a button, I'm sure the button just popped back out as her hand moved away. But I'm sure it pleased them to think that demons did it, thus confirming that demons are real and their religion is the "truth".

I was raised around religious nut jobs.

Edited by - finnrot on 21 June 2002 8:33:56

• HomebutHiding
    HomebutHiding

Avengers: Mysentiments, exactly.

Finnrot: I served in several congregations throughout my JW career, and in all there was a profound "respect" for Satan's powers. I would not have Bewitched on my TV, I avoided garage sales, and considered unfaithful those who went to them. They were most certainly putting Jehovah to the test. I was not raised a JW, so I can't imagine the harm from the mixed messages, let alone the looney ones. HbH

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

While I was at Bethel, myself and two other guys would go to another guys room and watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer while his roomate was at his meeting.

The roommate found out, decided we had 'demonized' his room, and we all got hauled before a committee over it!!

P.S. I am currently taping every episode.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

All this demon talk is bringing back unpleasant memories of "smurfs".......STOP IT! STOP IT! lol

• scootergirl
    scootergirl
    I was raised by religious nutjobs......

Finnrot.....maybe we are related!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit