rich jw's

by kaykay_mp 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

I think in most cases it all boils down to how a person uses their riches that determines how they will be treated by a congregation.

For example, a wealthy couple in our circuit were looked upon with the usual <eyeroll> and whispered remarks about "materialism". They drove a new Mercedes. He wore a Rolex and gold bracelet. She had diamonds and gold and other assorted jewelry. They both wore fur coats and hats in the winter, even to go from door-to-door. They went on vacations to the Caribbean and Europe a couple of times a year.

Then a new CO rotated into the area. Good friends of theirs, as it turns out. Yes, this couple used the AirMiles they'd racked up to invite the CO and his wife to go Cancun with them for a week.

Suddenly, everyone's attitude was expected to change overnight. The CO was their biggest fan, and somehow knew how much this couple was contributing to the congregation and circuit (overseer?) financially. There was a talk from the platform cautioning everyone from speaking against those who were so generously supporting the Worldwide Preaching Work.

Brother Money Bags was later caught having an affair with a younger sister. Guess what? He was privately reproved. The elders must have realized that the cash flow was going to stop if he was DFd. The sister, who was of a more modest 'ilk', was DFd.

It seems you can even buy God's favor if you have enough dough-rey-mi.

Love, Scully

• lovsinner
    lovsinner

Now that it is appropriate for witness' to go to college, we have a new breed of wealthy brothers! I know in my old congregation we have an engineer, a doctor, a lawyer and all were sons of elders! You should hear how my mom admires them. When I was growing up, college was not even discussed. More than ever you can see class distinction in borg. Don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey KayKay_mp,Your observations are dead on.With that in mind.What did you learn from your observations?I`ll give you a hint.Read my signature at the bottom of this post.(I hope Simons got them back up..LOL)...OUTLAW

• DanielHaase
    DanielHaase

Ah yes...I remember this one. All the local congregations were basically split between those that owned the janitorial or landscaping businesses and those that worked for them. Sad, sad, sad.

• LDH
    LDH

Actually, sorry to spoil your fun, but I found just the *opposite* to be true.

My parents are well off. This only opened us up to extreme scrutiny by others in the congregation who were and are still jealous. If we got something new, like clothes or something, us kids were subject to rude remarks by Elder's wives or their kids, etc.

When I got my first American Express Card at age 19, I was quickly ushered into the back room. I had paid for lunch for everyone in the car group one day, just a special treat. I was counseled for being not only materialistic, but was actually told I should cut my card up and send it back! (I was supposed to be relying on Jehover, not the good people at Amex, LOL)

This by the pioneer elder who lived (with his wife) in a basement ghetto apartment for $125 month.

I remember on MANY occasions, other elders stopping by our house to borrow money. More often than not, they were told no. Not because my parents aren't generous but because there's one sure way to lose friends, and that's loan them money.

(If only they'd realize that they are not their friends, anyway.)

One elder in particular later served on my "Judicial Committee." Of course, he voted to df me.

So there is another side to the coin, no pun intended.

Lisa

• LB
    LB

Lisa I do understand where you and your folks were coming from. There were two camps at my old hall and to be honest those without were very vocal about those with. I was more middle of the road yet many perceived that I had a lot so I know I was talked about also.

I'm so glad we don't have to play those games any longer.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Then I offerred that Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Sir John Templeton must be far more pleasing in Jehovah's sight because he's "blessed" them so much more abundantly. For some reason the bragging JW dropped the topic.

And Bill Gates (at least) is an atheist! Therefore, Jehovah likes atheists. Especially gazillionaire atheists.

This is all Bible-based.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit