rich jw's

by kaykay_mp 16 Replies latest jw friends

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp

i remember back to when i was part of the BOrg...

i noticed how all the rich witnesses got away with everything.

i knew of a teen who was dating (and having sex with) this non-believer and nothing even happened to him. (his family owned a construction company)

there was another family (also owned a construction company) in the congregation who had two teens who joined the band, were in all the afterschool clubs, hung out with all their non-witness friends after school, etc... just all the basic things that the gb tells their "young ones" not to do.

but when i try to make at least a couple of friends, i get lectured about "bad associations spoil useful habits" and all that crap. i was being threatened to be sent to reform school all because some guy gave me a note.

eventually, i got tired of all the witness crap and got df anyway.

granted, my family wasn't rolling in the dough, but we weren't poor. we were like middle-middle-class.

i don't know if it was like this in any other congregation. maybe i'm wrong.

Edited by - kaykay_mp on 18 June 2002 9:41:10

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Kaykay

I know what you're saying. I don't think it's the rule, but if you're in the good ol' boys network, you can get away with anything.

I suppose that having a lot of money sure helps in making friends anywhere, although that statement could work the other way too, depending on the area you live. Some bad people use what they can give people to wield influence.....if corrupt, would you DF someone's son whos parents let you swim in their pool at their million dollar home over the summer? Gotta keep cool somehow.

ashi

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Right on, Kaykay!

I remember very clearly the Bethelite PO of my congregation in NYC saying that material prosperity was an indication of Jehovah's blessing. It registered a "wha-th-fuuu" back then, just as it does now. He's no longer a Bethelite, and he's not rich. Maybe he knew something?

I recently had an on-line discussion with a young JW man who was bragging about his great career, his new car, his new house, etc., etc, and abusively challenging others in the forum to match what he had. I offerred him a brief review of basic economics and pointed out that if he was paying the bank for any of these things, he didn't own them, the bank did. Then I offerred that Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Sir John Templeton must be far more pleasing in Jehovah's sight because he's "blessed" them so much more abundantly. For some reason the bragging JW dropped the topic.

• ARoarer
    ARoarer

I don't really agree with you. Where I came from, if you were viewed as "rich" you were looked down

on as materialistic, and judged for everything. I think it boils down to the type of congregation you come from. If it is a wealthy area and the members are all materially well off then those who are not will feel that they are treated unfairly and judged, however if you happen to be in a congregation who's

members are from lower income, and lower educated area, and the elders are of such, you better realize that you will be judged for everything you do and have, even if you are the most generous donator. I remember when we first bought our home here and went to check out the congregation in our territory, the PO came up to welcome us and ask us where our new house was. When we told him he was suprised and said "oh you are in the snooty section." That about summed it up.

• Francois
    Francois

Everything is relative with the Witnesses, isn't it? And the Witnesses are the very ones who flatly reject situational ethics - and they are among its premier practitioners.

There was an elder in the congregation in Savannah, GA. He was some sort of big kahuna with a large industrial coporation. Richer than three feet up the proverbial bull's ass.

Of course these people didn't celebrate Christmas: Oh, heavens no! The horror of it all. But every year between Thanksgiving and Christmas they took their two boys (my age) out to the various stores and allowed them to purchase anything their little ole pea pickin' hearts desired. Anything. These guys were friends of mine. They looked forward to it just like everyone else looked forward to Christmas. And these guys RACKED UP every year with stuff.

Like I said, everything in the JWs is relative and situational - read: hypocritical.

Francois

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Aroar-I have to agree with you. I came from a very non-affluent area. Pretty much everyone was middle class. As you said, anyone who had more money than the rest of the congregation was boastful.

As for the whole "being blessed by Jehovah" with riches...it was the exact opposite, if you were crapped on by God, Fate, whatever, you must be really special to be a ble to keep up the hard battle. The congregation I came from EVERYONE was related, I swear it was like Arkansas or something. Everyone was a cousin, aunt, or uncle to someone else in the hall. There were maybe 10 families that were outside the circle of the family. It was rather Mafia-esque.

The thing I found in my congregation is who ever was "connected" got a free ride. A majority of the elders were the heads of these mob families, along with most of the MS's. For example, two of my witness friends got pregnant. One was related to the family, one was not. I won't go into details, but suffice to say the one who had family in the congregation was only reproved, while the other was forced to Da herself or be Df'ed...not an unsual story as I have seen while posting on this board.

I guess it is just a regional thing to decided who has the power and who doesn't.

• Amazing
    Amazing

Some of it depends on what the wealthy JWs did with their money. I have noticed that JWs who are wealthy tend to be in the construction business ... one of the few really accepted professions for JWs that allow for wealth generation - unlike the well accepted janitorial trade.

Often the wivesof wealthy Jws in the construction trade had more time to Reg. Pioneer, because they did not have to bring in extra income ... and if the husband's business was large enough, he did not always have to be at the job site, and could Aux. Pioneer ... this, combined with free labor and materials to help with Kingdom Hall construction, made such couples seem very dedicated and involved JWs - and this helped them to fit into the inner circles ... and this is how their children sometimes escaped more serious treatment.

Although, that is not always the case, and some of it is perception. We tend to assume some people are wealthy, when they may be struggling. We may assume they get away with sins other don't, but we may not always know all the details.

At one time, my family and I were viewed as "wealthy" because we paid cash for a very nice large home in the country - with a great view. I was a professional engineer ... and comparatively better eeducated than the average JW in our congregation. This created the ambiance of upper class, and with that assumptions about me and my family that were wholly untrue.

For example: The only reason we were able to pay cash for our home was that we moved from a vastly more expenseive area where homes cost 4 times what they did in our new area. Otherwise, we struggled because we lived on one income. My kids did not get away with more than other JW kids, and were often treated more harshly and with greater scrutiny because of the perception that we were well off ... got to get those rich kids! and keep them in line ... and we often felt that others were given more slack because they were not as well off.

Once it was merely rumor that I was not in complete harmony with Watchtower doctrine ... I found out real fast that 99% of those JWs I thought were 'friends' were not at all friends, and quite willing to dump me at the first sign of trouble. Their friendship was shallow, regardless of whether we or they were wealthy or not ... it all mattered not ... because once loyalty to the organization is merely in question, then the assumption is guilty until proven innocent.

Yes, I agree that many times wealthier JW families got by with more ... but there are reverse examples ... and I believe that what has more to do with it, is personality, good looks, knowing how to play the game, know who to butter up, ... and often times wealth seem to follow good looks, personality, and good politics.

• LB
    LB

In my area it's mainly poor but some had money. I felt the weathy looked down on the poor and the poor looked down on the wealthy but all pretended to love each other and conduct themselves like true Christians. Some actually did conduct themselves like Christians too.

But in my old hall even elder kids managed to get themselves DFed regardless of wealth or not Although I did feel that the elder kids got away with more than others did.

• roybatty
    roybatty

Growing up in a fairly affluent suburb of Chicago I didnt realize the "class" difference until I moved to a rural area and it came time to build a new Kingdom Hall. The congregation from which I had just moved from had a body of elders that were very well off and loved to wine and dine the DO. Kind of a side note, I do have to admit that the wealthiest of them, a Curtis Andrews, was probably one of the most decent guys I have ever met. Anyway, by coincidence, both of these congregations started building new halls around the same time. When it came to the wealthy congregations building, they requested and received the best of everything. Best wood, best brick work, best stained glass doors, etc. Where as the congregation out in the "sticks" requested a few upgrades but received none. No windows, fake wood front door, rust stained bricks that had to be clean, crappy pine for the interior of the hall and a garage door that didnt match the outside of the building. When I ever so humbly pointed out the disparaging differences of the rural KH, I was told by the CO and the regional building committee that "Halls are built to fit into the surrounding neighborhood." Translation: If you want to build a nice KH, move to a nicer area. Ah, theocracy at its finest!

I was an elder at the time and this experience helped me to clearly see that the WatchTower Society and the whole JW religion is just a business from the top down.

• simplesally
    simplesally

And don't forget, the brothers that owned construction companies were so kind to employ the less fortunate members of the hall and teach young brothers a trade, hire sisters to answer phones for minimum wage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit