What do you listen to?

by terafera 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

(Edit to add: "Marie" was by Townes Van Zandt, who is probably the greatest folk singer of all time)

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Tera, Sweet ChildOMine and Welcome to the Jungle were two of my favorites by GunsNRoses. But, I had a hard time watching videos of Axel singing. Just a bit too slinky for my tastes.

When I am feeling really down, though, I like to play the back side of the Beatles Abbey Road. If reminiscing, I play Little River Bands Reminiscing. If contemplating my current situation, I play either Carly Simons Coming Around Again or Gloria Estafans One Two Three. The rest of the time, I just play whatever comes to mind. The Doors, The End, Iron Butterfly, Credence, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Kansas, Survivor, just whatever. Since I have about 500 CDs and a couple hundred cassettes and about 300 vinyl albums, I don't run out soon. Sorry, but I got rid of nearly 200 8 tracks about 14 years ago.

You might say I like listening to music.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Tera, if you like Jewel, you will like my favourite song of all time - Life Uncommon.

Don't worry mother, it'll be alright
    And don't worry sister, say your prayers and sleep tight
    It'll be fine lover of mine
    It'll be just fine

Lend your voices only to sounds of freedom
    No longer lend your strength to that which you wish to he free from
    Fill your lives with love and bravery
    And you shall lead a life uncommon

I've heard your anguish, I've heard your hearts cry out
    We are tired, we are weary, but we aren't worn out
    Set down your chains, until only faith remains
    Set down your chains

And lend your voices only to sounds of freedom
    No longer lend your strength to that
    which you wish to be free from
    And we shall a life uncommon

There are plenty of people who pray for peace
    But if praying were enough it would have come to be
    Let your words enslave no one and the heavens will hush themselves
    To hear our voices ring out clear
    With sounds of freedom
    Sounds of freedom

Come on you unbelievers, move out of the way
    There is a new army coming and we are armed with faith
    To live, we must give
    To live

And lend our voices only to sounds of freedom
    No longer lend our strength to that which we wish to be free from
    And we shall lead...
    Lend our voices only to sounds of freedom
    No longer lend out strength to that which we wish to he free from
    And we shall lead a life uncommon

An absolutely awesome song...not really a sad one...but I relate it to my exit from the borg for some reason. I also want it played at my funeral...if that's not too morbid to mention.

My music taste varies...The Mamas and the Papas - The Seekers - Cat Stevens - Neil Diamond - John Lennon - Don McLean - Dean Martin - ACDC - Crowded House - Dr Hook,
    man I'm old!

I do listen to young stuff too....Shakira - Janet Jackson - Shakaya (new aussie duo) - JLo - Toni Braxton - ... I guess my list indicates I am influenced by my teenage daughters.

Beck

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

When I'm feeling down, I have to have some old time twang.

I love some old Hank Williams or Merle Haggard.

Tim McGraw's song "I Don't Know Why They Say Grown Men Don't Cry" always has this burly guy misty eyed.

the part where he's putting his little girl to bed and she says "Daddy, I haven't had my story yet"

it always gets me because i miss my daughter and think of that special bond between dad & daughter.

For feel good songs...I love my old truckin' songs...old Red Sovine, and Jay Dudley, Jerry Reed. Those get me goin' good.

For my rebel mood, it's hard to beat Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff" or anything from Kid Rock.

Ernie

• Mackin
    Mackin

I listen to this when I'm feeling blue (been playing it a lot lately)

DANTE'S PRAYER Music and Lyrics Loreena McKennitt

When the dark wood fell before me
    And all the paths were overgrown
    When the priests of pride say there is no other way
    I tilled the sorrows of stone

I did not believe because I could not see
    Though you came to me in the night
    When the dawn seemed forever lost
    You showed me your love in the light of the stars

Cast your eyes on the ocean
    Cast your soul to the sea
    When the dark night seems endless
    Please remember me

Then the mountain rose before me
    By the deep well of desire
    From the fountain of forgiveness
    Beyond the ice and fire

Please remember me

Though we share this humble path, alone
    How fragile is the heart
    Oh give these clay feet wings to fly
    To touch the face of the stars

Breathe life into this feeble heart
    Lift this mortal veil of fear
    Take these crumbled hopes, etched with tears
    We'll rise above these earthly cares

Please remember me
    Please remember me

• VioletAnai
    VioletAnai

I have three:

The Cures: From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea

Sisters of Mercy: Body and Soul

And Siouxsie and The Banshees: The Last Beat of My Heart

You should see my blubber when I put those on....it's rather pathetic actually!!!

• Farkel
    Farkel

: What song do you put on when you're sad? Is there a certain song that never fails to tear you up and why?

Beethoven's 7th Symphony. It works wonders. When I really want an uplift, I love to listen to Beethoven's 5th ("The Emperor") Concerto or Bach's Brandenberg Concerti.

: What do you listen to when you're in a good mood? What does it make you think of?

"Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini" by Serge Rachmaninoff and "La Valse" by Maurice Ravel. They are very passionate pieces and evoke passion.

: Feel free to post lyrics here and what emotions they stir up in you.

The lyrics that I find most inspiring are the immortal words from that classic "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor on the Bedpost Every Night?"

Farkel

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

The Rhapsody that Farkel spoke of is the MOST beautiful piece of music I have ever heard.

I also love the soundtrack to the movie, "Somewhere in Time", composed by John Berry I beleive.

Makes me think , if there is a heaven, that music would be playing there. Simply beautiful, take your breath away stunning music, it touches your heart and soul. You should go out and buy the soundtrack , it is like a tonic to ease your soul , I use it to go into a peaceful place , right before I go to sleep sometimes.

And Coon,,,,, ditto on all you said too. Merle Haggard is one of my favorites. The Tim McGraw song, Remember me , I think is the name, That one tears me up , the video to it also. And the other one he sings, about , She cant be really gone ? Love it.

Wow I go from the Dixie Chicks to the Rhapsody,,,, ( yeah the Dixie Chicks have a few heartbreaker songs too LOL) .... as my kid would say.. "It's all good!!!!"

• Farkel
    Farkel

Lyin Eyes,

: The Rhapsody that Farkel spoke of is the MOST beautiful piece of music I have ever heard.

Wait until you hear me play some of the Rachmaninoff Preludes or Liszt's Ab Liebestraum!

Farkel

• jack2
    jack2

tera!

lol@stinkypants w Kingdom Melodies!

Since I'm a big fan of Elton John's music and Bernie Taupin's lyrics, and I have been listening to his stuff since I was a teenager, there seems to be an Elton song for almost every emotion I feel; after all, the guy's been producing music for over 33 yrs, lol. In fact, there's so many songs that come to mind, I don't even know where to start.

I did post lyrics to a song of his called Since God Invented Girls on the 'Vincent Goes Underground' thread. I think of it when I admire God's most beautiful creation - women! The chorus goes:

Now I know what Brian Wilson meant / Everytime I step outsideI see what heaven sent / There may be seven wonders created for this world / But one is all we need since God invented girls

When I'm in a rebellious mood, I like cranking a live version of The Bitch Is Back and singing along....when my wife was in her fanatical mode some years back, she did not want me playing or singing the song. I did it anyway, LOL. Now she sees things my way, lol. I also like the rebellious lyrics of Bennie And The Jets, such as....."we're gonna fight our parent's out in the street to find who's right and who's wrong."

When I am sad or contemplative, there's Rocket Man or Blue Avenue, and Your Song for someone special.

Of course, there are songs by other artists that also strike a powerful cord with me.

Good post tera!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit