The Daddy Difference

by teejay 21 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

From an early age I knew that I liked kids. I liked the funny things they did to make me laugh as well as the milliseconds that came when they showed me flashes of their growing intelligence -- little evidences that they could see and understand things that I either hadn't seen myself or suspected they didn't. Little human beings, differing from me only in experience. I always loved being around them.

Despite my deep fondness for kids, though, I can't say that being a dad was something I always dreamed about growing up. With the religious upbringing I had, I figured that I had a world of time to have children - if not in this world, then certainly in the Better One that was surely soon to come.

So, when I got married the first time, the matter of "kids or no kids" was neither a priority nor major issue with my wife. If children blessed the union--fine. If not, I was cool with that, too. After all, eternity was on my side.

Time tends to change a thinking person's perspective on many things, and so it was with my childlessness.

Well into the marriage, the thought occurred to me one day that, in total, my five siblings had exactly a dozen children between them. Every one of them had at least two children and I had not a single one. It dawned on me one day that I alone, of my mother's six children, was the only one that had no offspring. I represented a dying/soon-to-be-dead branch of the Jones family tree. While the epiphany wasn't exactly life-altering, it was still a heavy mental burden that nagged at me.

To this day, I can't say why I hadn't had kids by then. I never got myself checked and neither did my wife so was it me or her? Or just bad timing? Since she had a child already before we got married and since we often had un-protected relations, it was assumed (and once even loudly alleged) that the problem was mine. With that in mind, I took a further hit, this one psychological, to my manhood. While I forgave myself for my physical and biological inadequacy, it only added to the bitter pill I'd already swallowed in having no living legacy.

Time passed, the marriage failed. Life went on and I met another and got married again -- my last.

One day, she told me the incredible news, news I admit that I had a hard time believing. I was 41. How could this be? I, I'm a bit ashamed to say, even accused her of infidelity. How could the child be mine? How?

Time marched on. The child grew, doctors visits were made. A few months before the arrival, I bought a video camera and began to make a living record -- a record of Mommy's burgeoning belly and of our life "before." A few days prior to the birth I even got video of Mommy's belly moving. Baby Girl was getting ready, itching to meet the world.

The time came. I was seconds away from crossing a threshold that countless other women and men had crossed. Did it mean as much to them as it meant to me? Could it? Could they possibly have felt as gloriously happy as I did? I doubt it.

It stands as about the only time in my life when I recall being on the verge of absolutely loosing control. My eyes glaze over, even now, with the memory. All I need do is close my eyes, and I'm there! It's a memory that does not fade with time.

Happy Father's Day, y'all. It's a job I wouldn't trade for all the world.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Cool article.

Although, I hate kids and will not have one come from my loins, the article was interesting.

Also liked your last post, teej.

ashi

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

i could relate to your last post also, teejay...

i was there for the birth of my second and third child --- the second after enduring the hostility of the duty nurse, who refused to let me in.

it was an experience -- both to help my former wife, and to see both tania and michael right after birth. micheael looked like mao tse tung at birth, now looks the opposite - the image of my father. could not see the first birth (michelle), as it was "difficult" and the dr. explained, " i'm going to have to do some things that i just don't want you to see".... but, i felt a traitor to my wife in NOT being there to help her.

hope you have many great father(s) days into the distant future.....

• teejay
    teejay

Friday, my baby sister sent me this article again. It seemed very familiar. I thought I'd posted it.

Guess what...

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    Guess what...

What?!!!

You're not...........are ya??

Are congratulations in order?

• Mystery
    Mystery

Congradulations teejay -

Just as a point of view - my son's stepdad is so much more of a "daddy" than their biological father that words can not even express what he means to me and to them.

• teejay
    teejay

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO (although the idea doesn't bother me). The "guess what..." simply meant that I found I *had* posted the article. Whew!

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

LOL!!!!!! ok everybody, false alarm!

Good thing you saw this before the thread was 8 pages long with 'congrats' posts and you were getting baby gifts in the mail!!

• Sirona
    Sirona

Thanks,

My father was absent all of my life and I can see how this relates to me

Sirona

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

My family was "intact" (ha ) and I still had many of the negative affects (very early puberty, etc.). If you find a study on fathers that were physically there, but not emotionally there, let me know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit