Are Elders experts on the Bible? Are they spirtually qualified men?

by John Aquila 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

How many times have Elders read their Bible in its entirety? More than once?

These are the leaders that give counsel to married couples, to teenagers, to single girls and single boys on everything from marriage, education, sex, association, dress, and recreation.

How well do they know their Bible?

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake

No. This is a hilarious question.

I once wrote an email to an elder with citation down to the page to a reference showing who the faithful slave actually was with both scriptural and cultural evidence and they said I was wrong.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Most Elders know only what the Governing Body has taught. Most of them would prefer NOT to know what the Bible actually teaches because it would mess up their lives and perhaps force them to be who they actually claim to be: Christians following Jesus Christ.
  • sir82
    sir82

As with most JWs, they don't know the Bible, even if they have read it.

Most do understand the Watchtower interpretation of the few dozen isolated verses that are plucked out of context to form the framework of WT doctrine. Many are also experts on WT procedure, as outlined in the OD and KS books.

• pixel
    pixel

Are Elders experts on the Bible?

No.

Are they spiritually qualified men?

No.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Are Elders experts on the Bible?.....How well do they know their Bible..

Not well enough to know..

The Bible says not to Add or Subtract from it...

How Stupid would you have to be,to do exactly that?..

THEN ADVERTISE YOUR NEW BIBLE??!!..

.......https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRM6-H1HYPyWxsmxEQmeTmvrWrzHQQTMQ07V75fTGAkvud1tHeq......................Image result for Ha Ha

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

For the Are the elders experts on the bible question: LOL!

Also, my personal experience. . . .

Well before my apostacy (we're talking over 15 years ago now), before I was appointed an elder, but well on the "elder track," I said to myself: I really want to know everything I can know about the bible so I can give an educated answer to whoever asks a question. I was especially interested in being able to explain "deep things" such as how 1914 was arrived at.

I bought a book dealing with the bible and archaeology. In it, I found a shocking error: that Babylon had sacked Jerusalem in 587 BCE! Further research at the library (and in the Insight book) revealed that ALL historians had been duped in to believing that this event happened in 587, and not 607BCE.

And in the back of my head, a little voice said, Well, if the date really was 587, then it is quite possible everything you believe is false!

So my cult self took that little voice in the back of my head into the woods and shot it.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Many are also experts on WT procedure, as outlined in the OD and KS books.

I remember in judicial hearings we would always say," Lets see what Mother has to say" Never, "Lets see what the Bible had to say"

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

'Spiritually qualified'. Now there's a weird term. Typical meaningless propagandist term.

To a JW, whether they admit it or not, the Watchtower(tm) is more important than the Bible. That's why the Elders have the 'Flock' book(tm).

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    When I had some questions I was referred to a brother in another congregation that isn't even an elder. These men are just parrots.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit