Are Elders experts on the Bible? Are they spirtually qualified men?

by John Aquila 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• username
    username
    Spiritually qualified=brainwashed
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I remember in judicial hearings we would always say," Lets see what Mother has to say" Never, "Lets see what the Bible had to say"

So true. And I'm sure I said it many times. WT has elevated itself to being equal with (and of course, speaking for) God.

Doc

• John Aquila
    John Aquila
    millie210
    millie210

"they can be disfellowshipped for joining a school football team"

(this was to a young person who wasnt even baptized)

Now that is hilarious!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think it pays to at least acknowledge that the WTS did reveal some the unscriptural doctrines from other Christian based faiths ie. hell fire or the celebration of Christmas as another but at the same time created many of its own false doctrines and teachings ... .ie 1914 , 1975

• Splash
    Splash

You can't go to 3 meetings per week, pre study, personal study, family study, prepare talks, read the Bible, read the mags and do field service for a decade or more, without learning something about the Bible.

You learn verses and doctrine if nothing else.

The latest study book is called "What does the Faithful Slave Really Teach (for now)"

• cofty
    cofty

Some of them are experts in "proof-texting" from the bible.

All of them are woefully ignorant about the bible.

When I left and began researching theology I was astonished at the quantity and breadth of information that was available. Entire shelves can be filled with commentaries on the book of Romans alone.

Having said that, most christians are also woefully ignorant about the bible as well.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I realize what I am about to say could be interpreted as an embittered old veteran, insisting that "These new guys aren't as good as we was". However, when the elder arrangement first came in (c.1972), I can recall ones who did have an extensive ( perhaps even impressive) knowledge of the bible.

Conversely, towards the end of my time with the JWs, the typical elder came over as well versed in WTS procedure - but rather lacking in knowledge about the bible, or even about their very own JW doctrine. There were times when one elder I was familiar with would direct questions about JW doctrine to me, who wasn't even a ministerial servant!

That the earlier breed of elder often had a sound biblical knowledge had little to do with the JWs. Most were converts, rather than "born ins". Also, they grew up during a time when practically everybody was a regular churchgoer, and most people actually took some interest in the Christian teachings, biblical doctrine etc. I would hazard to guess that at least a goodly part of their bible knowledge came from their time before "coming into the Truth." (Of course, how such persons managed to be sucked into the JW cult is quite another story!)

Bill

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Rather than talk about others, do we actually want to embrace what is “Spiritual”?

How about abandoning the Bible and other words and beliefs about what is "real and true", and quietly -- without thought and commentary -- spend time in nature that is inherently real and true. Look, see and feel, can we deeply connect with it?

Perhaps, the TRUTH we seek is not so tiny as to be absent.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    Good post James, I strive towards a combination of both : Bible reading - searching for knowledge all the while appreciating nature and thanking the creator everyday for beauty in nature. I truly believe he will make things right one day in his due time. If I live to see it it will be thanks to Christ.
  • hoser
    hoser
    I don't know how anyone can read the bible and still believe the Jehovah's Witness religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit