California Supreme Court Case - S226656

by Gayle 164 Replies latest jw friends

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Flipper,

"They just cannot accept defeat or being made to even appear as if they were negligent or in the wrong."

I think it's just cold blooded calculations. Several hundred thousand dollars in attorney fees may save them several million in awarded damages.

• Boeing Stratofortress
    Boeing Stratofortress
    Again.
    Violating confidentiality breaks church law and subjects the violator to church discipline, It is against church law.

Fisherman, it's YOUR church law. Not mine. Your church's disciplinary actions. Not those of my church.

Church discipline?? You mean Kingdom Hall style discipline, as in what Jonathan Kendrick received? Hahahaha. What DISCIPLINE did he receive? A slap on the wrist, followed by full reinstatement as an elder IN GOOD STANDING! How absurd. That bastard should be in jail.

If some sick S.O.B. were to molest my child, he needn't worry about congregational 'discipline.' He'd incur the wrath of MY justice, and MY law, well in advance. Remember the movie "Scarface" with Al Pacino??

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Hope the court hears the case then over turns the lower court. I can see Conti loosing on several points, but this idea that the wbts has some first amendment right and therefore doesn't have to warn people is just evil and can open up a can of worms for all sorts of issues if the cult wins.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

guess you'd just shrug your shoulders and say, "well, the administration just 'screwed' up. They're 'imperfect.'" Right? Is that what you'd do? If so, then you disgust me.

It is not the same, the school has a custody relationship with the child, and so does a day care. You leave the child with them. They are legally liable. They have a legal duty to protect the child. Didn't you read the Court transcripts posted on this Forum for this case?

And that is what this case is about, did'nt you read my posts also? The Court will ultimately determine custody relationship, and if that is what is the Supreme Court affirms, then Defendants are legally liable for the protection of Plaintiff in this case. But that does not mean that the accused child molester is guilty. He was not prosecuted and he denies the charges. You don't know and I don't know what happened This is a civil case about money. But again, how can any parent allow his child to associate unsupervised with adults for years and years and just assume that his child is safe.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    What kind of a parent takes off and leaves their child with adults not related to their child in this day and age and just assumes that the child is safe. Not me.
  • Boeing Stratofortress
    Boeing Stratofortress
    Yes. 'Duty to warn' verdict by lower court was overturned. Lack of child supervision during 'field service' verdict by lower court was upheld by the appellate court as a ruling against the WT. Duty to warn has nothing to do with custody. A child alone in field service is in temporary custody of another adult. In Conti's case, the adult was Kendrick. Yes, I read the court's transcript, thank-you.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

In Conti's case, the adult was....

Wrong! The Appellate Court ruled that the church formed a "special custody relationship" with the child,and that was one basis for the award of damages to Plaintiffs.

LOL The above is a fact. The fact favors the Plaintiffs. Someone just puts minus signs next to my post. You do not like the fact that the Appellate Court favored Plaintiff awarding damages. Need I say more. LOL

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Jeff T, they are looking to vacate. The money is NOTHING to them, they are after bragging rights-they want to prevail and squash her lawsuit into smithereens and then be in the moral highground. Although in truth, they lost that long long ago.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Village Idiot-they don't care about the money. Its not THEIR personal wallet and they have lots more where that came from. Its not even that much money.They are all about "the principle of the thing". Or the lack of principles in their case.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

they

The Court will decide what is just and proper, makes no difference what they want or anybody wants. It is not about what anybody wants or likes or believes. It is about how this case is applied to the law. Both sides present their side and the Court decides which side to take, this side or that side. Don't get angry at either side because you don't like one side. And you don't know what happened

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit