California Supreme Court Case - S226656

by Gayle 164 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

So if the California Supreme Court does not accept the appeal......it's all over and Candace and Company has a decisive win over the WTBTS and an 8 Million dollar(?) payoff?

Or could the WT appeal to the Supreme Court of the USA? If so..... I wonder if the negative publicity they would receive on a national level would be worth it. With six Catholics on the Supreme Court I wonder if those Justices would be thinking 'time for the WT to take it's medicine just as the Catholic church has had to do.'

• nelim
    nelim
    Hopefully the Supreme Court will review the case and determine that it is not a too big a burden for churches to warn other parents, and therefore restore the full penalty and force them to change policies for the better! *here is hoping*
  • cappytan
    cappytan

Boo yeah...actually glad they're appealing.

Streisand effect.

Also, Supreme Court could reverse the "duty to warn" decision.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

They are trying to patch the dam that is breaking. If they can negate this they can set precedent against these sort of suits. They have to make it about the 1st amendment so they can use it nation wide. They are the lowest form of pond scum.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Does anyone else find it amusing that the office of the attorney for the WTS is at 666 State Street?

Doc

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

666 State Street

Yes, that is very funny. Watchtower's explanation of 666 has something to do with falling short of perfection times three (7 is perfect). Maybe their attorney's will fall short of perfection too, times three for emphasis!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Is this why Steven Lett is pleading poverty and they make videos that try to snatch even a little kid's ice cream money ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Is this why Steven Lett is pleading poverty and they make videos that try to snatch even a little kid's ice cream money ?

Naa, the WTS has got the money/cash to cover over this case , I think the directive to steal money away from children is just basic greed and the fact that the WTS wants to build a very expensive HQ in England.

Picking on impressionable children is obviously not beneath them.

The WTS has always been very secretive to its over all financial position, no JWS knows for sure because the WTS never openly tells its members.

The constant postulation that the WTS is poor is in kind a smoke and mirrors trick to fool adherents thereby influencing and stimulating more donations.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    It's shameful. At least back in the 30's and 40's they had a 'righteous' stand for appealing until they got to the highest court, but this time they are appealing the right to protect pedofiles. It's awful.
  • JeffT
    JeffT

I imagine the lawyers are hoping to pressure Candace's lawyers into accepting a lower settlement.

I doubt they could appeal to the US Supreme Court.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit