California Supreme Court Case - S226656

by Gayle 164 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

The question of any liability of Watchtower was secondary to the question whether Johathan Kendrick sexually battered Candace.

That is a red herring. The accused defendant was not charged with any crime. And he was not found guilty or convicted of any crime by the civil court either.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Can you read?

Was the accused Defendant convicted by the Civil Court?

yes__ no_

Did the Civil Court find the accused defendant guilty?

yes_ no_

Does the Court document posted on your webpage prove that accused defendant is guilty?

yes_no_

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Fisherman: What I do know is that Plaintiff wants what is in WT deep pocket. That is a fact.

Is it really a fact that Conti wants Watchtower's money, or is that what you want people to think? If it is a fact I would love to see the evidence, so please prove it.

• Boeing Stratofortress
    Boeing Stratofortress

Exactly. She could have settled out of court like so many before her. She could have taken her money, hence avoiding years of legal proceedings and the glare of the media spotlight. She, and her attorneys have stated that her motivation is to force a change in WT policy. It's no different than the lawsuits against several Catholic diocese in the U.S.

Again, she could have settled already. As to your seeming assertion as fact that Ms. Conti is simply 'going after the WT's deep pockets' for some type of personal gain, please cite your references, Fisherman, just as previous posters have cited theirs.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

As to your seeming assertion as fact that Ms. Conti is simply 'going after the WT's deep pockets' for some type of personal gain, please cite your references, Fisherman, just as previous posters have cited theirs.

You got me Einstein the sailor man, I was just guessing only because Plaintiffs aimed and simply hit Defendant's big pocketbook.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Not including your followers, anyone who can read should know that in the US, the Civil Court does decide guilt. You know this.

correction

Not including your followers, anyone who can read should know that in the US, the Civil Court does not decide guilt. You know this.

Anyway, I have had my say and what I've said about accused Plaintiff's guilt stands.

• Boeing Stratofortress
    Boeing Stratofortress
    Not including your followers, anyone who can read should know that in the US, the Civil Court does not decide guilt. You know this.

His point being, that the civil court rendered a VERDICT nonetheless. Must you be so pedantic, Fish?

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

What were Candace's reason's for the lawsuit? Let's see what the news articles and interviews say:

Candace Cont - NBC News Article

Conti filed the lawsuit after trying, without success, to get Jehovah’s Witnesses in Southern California and in Fremont to change the secrecy policy, Simons said.
    “There was no settlement demand from her because she felt the only way to expose this policy and make it change was to bring this case to trial and make it public,” he said.
    “The money is the only way left for her to force Jehovah’s Witnesses to stop keep hiding known sex offenders within their congregation.”

Candace Conti - PBS Interview

CANDACE CONTI, Plaintiff: If I were to sum up our goals in this case, it was to attack the policies and procedures that where in place that let a serial molester continue to molest children.

The only way to enforce change from the outside on an organization or business is through their bank accounts. That is standard for the American judicial system. You can't take a business to criminal court. When an organization's or a business's policies are responsible for someone's loss, the only solution is to sue. There have been many, many lawsuits brought forward against WT, but all of them up to this point have settled out of court with gag orders on the plaintiffs. It seems clear to me that Candace was not afraid of putting her face out there and wanted this to be a very public shaming of the Watchtower's policies with the hopes that the policies would change as most businesses do when they lose a lawsuit like this.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    • Was the accused Defendant convicted by the Civil Court?
      yes__ no_

Civil courts make findings. Civil courts do not convict people.

Did the Civil Court find the accused defendant guilty?
      yes_ no_

Yes. That court appointed jury found Kendrick had sexual battered Candance, That is a finding of guilt.

Does the Court document posted on your webpage prove that accused defendant is guilty?
      yes_no_

Of sexual battery of Candance insofar as that court is concerned, yes.

• Boeing Stratofortress
    Boeing Stratofortress

Exactly! A SPECIAL VERDICT was rendered by the civil court. This is spelled out very plainly in the documents posted by Marvin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit