Favorite Summer Recipes

by mpatrick 10 Replies latest jw friends

• mpatrick
    mpatrick

I am looking for some new ideas for summer cooking (preferably on the grill). I thought some of you might have some good ideas of marinades, pasta salads or the like...post your FAVORITES...please!!!

• LDH
    LDH

How about a summer salad?

Four grilled chicken breasts, shredded

One cabbage, shredded

two bunches green onions, chopped

four tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

one cup of almond slivers, toasted

two packs of ramen noodles (uncooked) broken

Dressing as follows

make a vinigrette (three parts vinegar --use rice wine vinegar if you have it) one part oil

use the two seasoning packets from the ramen noodles

Add the ramen noodles and pour the dressing on just before serving.

I like to make salads in the summer because it doesn't heat up the kitchen...and this one the kids LOVE.

Lisa

PS Soledad I'm going to try that sauce this weekend...I'll report back here.

Edited by - LDH on 11 June 2002 19:41:59

• Celia
    Celia

On the rare summer days in my mountains in France when it was really hot, I remember my Mom making a rice salad, I loved it :

Cooked rice --- add black and green olives, whole --- green and red pepper, cut in small cubes ---

tomato, cut in small cubes (take seeds out) --- what else did she put in it ?

Home made mayonnaise made with egg, oil, vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.

Grilled pork spare ribs --- marinated in some olive oil, white wine, italian herbs, salt and pepper.

Pork chops --- spread dijon mustard all over before putting on the grill.

• Nikita
    Nikita

How about Gazpacho-anyone got a good recipe for that? I love it in the summer!

Nikita

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Here's a simple one that Neil taught me. It's not complicated and can look really elegant on a plate of rice pilaf or grilled asparagus. It would even taste good with some chipotle ranch dressing and a tortilla wrapped around it.

Neil's Famous Grilled Shrimp

12 de-veined, raw jumbo shrimp

3 whole fresh jalepenos

12 slices prosciutto or bacon

12 wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes

Take whole jalapenos and de-seed and slice into quarters lengthwise. Take deveined raw shrimp and butterfly. Insert a quarter of jalapeno into the middle of the shrimp and "close" the shrimp. Wrap the "closed" shrimp in proscuitto or bacon and skewer with wooden skewers. Grill on hot coals. (If you wait until the coals cool down the bacon will be limp and the shrimp will be over-cooked, so make sure it's reallly hot.)

It's that simple. Super tasty! Hmmm. Now I'm hungry!

• Valis
    Valis

Yummy Wraps...w/White Wine Carrot Ginger Sauce

1 bag rice noodles
    1 head large leaf Romaine
    pork chops/your favorite meat 1.5 Pounds or So..or less depending on how much you prefer...see marinade
    2 small cans water chestnuts
    1 package crunchy chow mien noodles
    two or three handfulls of fresh snow peas
    two or three handfulls of bean sprouts
    Add other favorite veggies
    2 medium carrots
    5 tblspoons grated fresh ginger

Boil Noodles and strain well, refrigerate
    Wash and drain veggies, refrigerate
    Grate carrot and ginger...mix and set aside for sauce

Marinate pork in the following for at least an hour, I like to use a freezer bag..you use less marinade that way.

1 cup soy sauce
    3/4 cup plum preserves
    1 tblspoon garlic salt
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
    Salt & Pepper

Grill until done and chop into small pieces..refrigerate w/noodles and veggies.

For sauce mix the carrot and ginger wth 2 cups of rice wine vinegar, dash of worchestershire/soy sauce, and 2 tblspoons brown sugar (optional, but my suggestion) Sauce can be done a day or two in advance to get max flavor.

Serve w/ romaine leaves to wrap veggies, noodles, crunchies, and meat. Apply some sauce and enjoy. About 5 or 6 servings.

Sincerely.

District Overbeer

Edited by - Valis on 11 June 2002 20:20:3

• arachnia
    arachnia

When we grill steaks or chicken, we like these grilled potatoes as a side. It's not an exact science, but here's basically what you'll need for each packet of potatoes:

Two lengths of aluminum foil about 15" each
    Two small/medium sized potatoes per packet - sliced into about 1/4" slices
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    2 tbs butter per packet - sliced into little cubes
    1 tbs minced garlic per packet
    Several slices of onion per packet
    We like to add a few sprinkles of dill to each packet too but obviously this is optional

Mix the potato slices and rest of the stuff on top of one of the sheets of foil. Make sure that there is even distribution of the butter all through the slices. Fold the foil into a packet around the potatoes. Take the other piece of foil and wrap it around and seal it all shut so there are no holes. Place packets on the grill on low/medium heat for about 20 minutes. You might have to adjust to your grill. Don't cook them too hot or the potatoes will just burn. :) I find it's helpful to have a fork handy, I just poke through the foil to see if they are done.

You should end up with flavorful potato slices, many of which are almost carmelized. Yum! (at least we think so.) ;)

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

I saw the earlier recipe for Gazpacho and I have a different variation:

10 fresh tomatoes pealed and seeded

3 scallions

3 garlic cloves

1/4 cup vinegar

salt, pepper and oregano to taste

puree in blender, chill well

garnish with you choice of chopped fresh vegetable or herb (I prefer a bit of cilantro)

serve cold with chunks of bread (I prefer tomato-basil bread)

I have made this with success a few times...Enjoy!!

• Valis
    Valis

Last Night 's Meal Chicken and Green Salad, Steamed Artichokes and Dipping Sauce, Garlic Bread

I like to chop everything then refrigerate/store it in on long container till the chicken and chokes are done.

1 head romaine chopped
    1 English cucumber, peeled and sliced (dam naughty English and their outrageously large cukes)
    1 shredded medium carrot
    4 Roma tomatos cubed
    1 package feta cheese Split Use

3 -4 boneless chicken breats
    4 cups flour
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    1 tbsp salt
    1 tbsp pepper
    3 tbsp chilli powder
    4 cups olive oil or veggie oil
    Combine flour, spices together in small bow. combine egg and milk in small bowl , stirring till mixed. wash chicken in egg and flour mixture till covered comepletely. heat oil and fry breasts till golden brown. remove from oil when don, soak up excess oil, let cool and chop breasts into edible slices and chill in fridge

Steam 4 Artichokes for 30 minutes at least
    Add a bit of olive oil, lemon and a little salt to the steaming water.

I like to take some of the feta mentioned earlier and put it with some ranch or other dressing. great for dipping the artichokes.

Toss salad ingredients w/chicken, serve chokes w/dipping sauce and garlic bread

Sincerely.

District Overbeer

• Nikita
    Nikita

Lisa and Spice thanks for the recipes!

Umm, all of these look great! Thanks Michelle for starting this thread!

Nikita

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit