JW Family Tries Black-Mailing Me

by Prisca 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• Prisca
    Prisca

I have spent the last week or so with my sister and bro-in-law and my 6year old niece, all JWs.

They live in a town not too far away from me, and I visit them every couple of months or so. My sister and I are close, not extremely so, but we appreciate each other as we have no other bros & sisters, our mother died 21yrs ago, and our father treats us as though we are dead too (due to non-JW issues).

Last time I went to visit them, my bro-in-law asked my niece to ask me if I'd go to the meeting. He should have known better as she said, "Daddy asked me to ask you to come to the meeting..."

I told her no, I won't be going. She asked why, and I simply said I didn't want to go and that was that.

Fast forward to this weekend.........

It's Saturday night, we've had dinner, I've just given my niece a bath, and the others are doing the washing up.

My bro-in-law says, "Can you go through the Watchtower with S***** [my niece] and find an answer for her?"

Now, my bro-in-law and sister know I don't go to the meetings anymore, and that I have disagreements with JW doctrines. Yet they put me in the position, in front of my niece (who adores me, and I her), of pretending I am still a JW and help indoctrinate my niece.

I couldn't do it.

"What if I teach her something different," I asked.

"Just find an answer for her from the WT study," my sister replied firmly.

"I'll find her a scripture to read, cos I might not agree with something the WT says. You'd like that, wouldn't you, S*****?" I asked my niece. My niece nodded affirmatively at the prospect of finding a scripture to read.

At this point my sis & bro-in-law got agitated. My bro-in-law said, "Don't worry about it then, there's no need to make an issue out of it" and walked over to pick up S***** who up to this point was being held in my arms during this discussion.

"I'm not making an issue out of it, you are! All I simply said was that I believe in the Bible, not the Watchtower!"

"Don't say that! If you say anything more like that, you can go home, I don't care what time it is, you can leave now!"

I couldn't believe he was saying this! My bro-in-law was prepared to send me home, a 5hour drive in the dark, all because I said I didn't believe in the Watchtower!!!

My sister diffused the issue by stepping in and saying that she'd do the study with S*****, which basically consisted of S***** reading the first page of the study article, underlining all the words she could read - a dozen "Jehovahs", 5 "Gods" and an assortment of "the", "on", "and" and other small words (she's only in Kindergarten, remember).

My bro-in-law was a bit huffy for the rest of the night, but my sister was ok from then on. I wanted to tell her about my bro-in-law trying to get me to go to the meeting via my niece last time I visited, but I never got the chance due to a persistant shadow. I just want to tell her that I don't appreciate his tactics, and that I'd like her to accept my beliefs, just as I accept their beliefs.

I know plenty on this board have had even worse experiences, but I thought it was pretty low for my family to stoop to such low tactics in order to try to get me to come back to the "Troof".

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Classic, horrific account of what the Org does to real blood/ love relationships.

Any Witness in his right mind, just reading that, would be cause enough to question whether the orgs the truth. Using your own kin, and little children against you

Stinkin cult.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Sorry ((((Prisca))))

It awful that people will use their kids in this way.

• Mackin
    Mackin

I feel for you Prisca, I really do. Those kind of tactics are unfair and uncalled for. It really amounts to emotional blackmail.

It's such a shame that they can't just accept your different viewpoint without stooping to such nasty methoods.

Warm thoughts my friend.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Refiners Fire said, "Any Witness in his right mind, just reading that, would be cause enough to question whether the orgs the truth. Using your own kin, and little children against you"

OK, so what one family, or one man, does, is reason enough for "any Witness in his right mind" to question that. I see. Likewise, then, what one Catholic man or woman does or does not, is cause good enough for the 600,000,00 or who knows how many, Catholics, to question their organization, or their faith? I don't say what the guy did was OK, by no means, but if you haven't got any better reason for questionsing the organization to which you belong, than what one unploite guy does, then the reasons are rather meager, if you'd care to ask me ......

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Prisca }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I am sorry that your brother-in-law and sister tried to not only use your niece as emotional blackmail but did so with her in the room. It must have been hard to keep your emotions in check with your niece present. It's a shame that one does not think before their actions.

Not only did this put you on the spot as I'm sure your brother-in-law knew would happen, it surly must have confused your niece as well. If your brother-in-law stopped to think prior to asking you to do something he knew you would be uncomfortable with instead of thinking with his "JW HAT" on, I am sure he would have seen the pressure that it put on you from a human stand point. And I hope that he would seen the turmoil it may have caused in your niece, because children pick up on a lot that we think they miss.

Keep on standing up for what you believe and perhaps set an Example for your niece, so she may learn from her Wise Aunt, THINKING for ones self is one of the greatest gifts that you can give her.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

They were attempting to get you to look at the material, as though just lookin upon the holy Watchtowers words would send a flash of holy spirit into you and youd break down in repentance.

But you refused, so the kids taken off you as punishment and threat. The one thing they know you care about.

The stinkin cult will resort to anything.Its as bad as the moonies.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

OH.

If you cant see how corrupt that is.

And if you cant comprehend that the cult convinced them that inhumanity like that is "christian" behaviour...

then you must be a JW Apologist.

Cass , beautifully written. Very incisive. Anyway, bye all.....

• ItsJustlittleoldme
    ItsJustlittleoldme

OK, so what one family, or one man, does, is reason enough for "any Witness in his right mind" to question that. I see. Likewise, then, what one Catholic man or woman does or does not, is cause good enough for the 600,000,00 or who knows how many, Catholics, to question their organization, or their faith? I don't say what the guy did was OK, by no means, but if you haven't got any better reason for questionsing the organization to which you belong, than what one unploite guy does, then the reasons are rather meager, if you'd care to ask me ......

I thought that all JW's were "one mind" and in unity? You mean that Prica's brother-in-law is a rougue JW? Maybe an elder needs to talk with this one? After all, he OBVIOUSLY doesn't think and act the way a JW should, now does he?

That CAN be used with the catholics, or just about any other religion, because everyone truly is an individual, and allowed their own thoughts and actions.. The JW's, however, well, everyone is in unity with one another.. So, either he is rougue and I for one would appreciate it if an elder visited him and counseled him on how inapropriate his tactics and methods are (and how disrespectful he is being to another's religion) or I can only assume that the "unity" that you guys constantly talk about is a lie.. Which is it?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Well, it sounds like they're using the love for your neice to get you to the meetings.

It just goes to show you how messed up they are....you profess love for the bible, but not the WT, and the guy almost loses a lung. Figures.

ashi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit