Linking to cult site w/o increasing their search engine position

by rebel8 11 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

I just found out about donotlink and thought it might be of interest to others here. We are always talking about j w dot org and I am worried it's helping them. Is that true?

Let me try.

Link to the Borg

What is donotlink?

Linking to dubious websites

You've all heard there's no such thing as bad publicity. On the internet this is doubly true. When you link to a website — regardless of the reason — this strengthens its position in search engines. This means that a bad review of a website makes it more popular.

When you are discussing or alerting others to a website that promotes a fraud, scam, cult or other questionable business and you link to that site, search engines will (after a while) improve the offending site's rank.
    Therefore, more people will find these shady websites, and will be exposed to their content without getting the proper context.

That's where donotlink comes in.

With donotlink.com, you can link to sites without giving them "Google juice".

Donotlink uses three different ways to block search engines from crawling a link. So you can post the link on forums, message boards, facebook, twitter, reddit, and other public places without giving shady websites any undue credibility.

What does donotlink do?

Using donotlink.com instead of linking to questionable websites directly will prevent your links from improving these websites' position in search engines.

How does this work?

Much like standard url shorteners, donotlink creates a shortened url to the website you submit. Just use this url instead of linking directly to the website, and we'll do the rest.

If you don't want to visit donotlink.com every time you use this service, you can also put "http://www.donotlink.com/" before the website's url like this:

http://www.donotlink.com/www.example.com/shady/stuff.html

How does this prevent search engines from crawling the website?

Donotlink routes links to questionable sites through a unique intermediate url that forwards the visitor to the destination through javascript.

• This url is blocked in our robots.txt file, so (search engine) robots are discouraged from crawling it.
    • The "nofollow" attribute of the link and the intermediate page give robots another reminder to not crawl the link.
    • If a known robot does decide to crawl the link, our code will identify it and serve it a blank page (403 Forbidden) instead of redirecting to the url.

But we don't stop there. We are continually improving our algorithms — a clever combination of blacklists and bayesian inference — that identify crawlers and bots, so even search engines and scrapers that don't play by any rules will get caught out.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Good catch rebel girl.

• MarkSutter
    MarkSutter
    great, thanks
  • steve2
    steve2
    So, if I'm reading this correctly, the more a website is commented upon by other websites, the more likely it will come up on top when you put a generic name associated with it into a search engine?
  • LAWHFol
    LAWHFol
    Simon can set all Links as "Do not Follow" meaning, all of our links do not give .jw.org any "Link Juice" or Search engine ranking. Most likely he has already set this up, if not, it would be a Very Good Idea.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    I love you rebel8. Wonderful tool!
  • Driving Force
    Driving Force
    Great, just set this up on my browser.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

You are correct, reb.

I do not know what Simon has done in this regard, and he's not saying.

I posted this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/358j7u/can_we_come_up_with_some_kind_of_warning_when/cr27tzi

jehovahs-witness.com still only has a PR of 2 (jehovahs-witness.net had a 3)

Moz ranks jehovahs-witness.com as a 36 (out of 100). Not terrible, but should be better, IMO.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the more a website is commented upon by other websites, the more likely it will come up on top when you put a generic name associated with it into a search engine?

Google has an extremely complicated algorithm that it uses to boost or reduce a website's authority.

It is basic however to have good, and extensive, content - WT's multi-language strategy is brilliant.

Links from sites that use the term(s) "jehovah" "jw", etc. boost jw.borg, as do links from sites that have a high PR or a high Moz ranking. (So, yes, unless countered somehow, direct links from this site will boost jw.borg.)

• rebel8
    rebel8

This does concern me but I am not any kind of expert on how this all works.

Quote from berrygerry's other thread:

[–]berrygerry 1 point 22 days ago

It's not visits (often incorrectly called hits), but moreso visitors and links from sites such as these.

JW.Borg has acquired a PR of 6 (matching fox.com ) and has a Moz Page Authority of 70 (out of 100).

Mock if you want, but the website strategist that they hired knows what he is doing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit