Minors bound to jw baptismal contract?

by Cappuccino OC 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Hi Angry:

I thought I said or I meant to say that the elder could be charged with PERJERY. Did I say libel? Then I am sorry.

As to a minor's contract being voidable, I thought I made that clear.

Pursuant to your observations, though, I am dragging out the books and going over my contracts once again. I want to pass the bar! However, I always keep in mind that John Kennedy Jr. took it three times.

Thanks for the help. Best regards.

I

\

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

Hi evyerone,

Thanks for the info. I'd like to clarify that I am not sueing anyone. Yup, I haven't been a minor for a looong time.

Regarding the catholic baptism, the babies can't speak therefore they aren't required to answer publicly to the two questions that are asked during a JW baptism at assemblies. There are differences between JW & Catholic Baptisms just as there are similarities.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I've read that legal contracts can be written or verbally. The WTS has people verbally recite their contract with them. (Please look at the two new baptismal questions that took into effect in 1985-especially question #2.)

The baptism itself is simbolic & religious but if I'm understanding correctly the contract with the JW's is the verbal declaration, in front of an audience, to the two questions.

Now if as a minor, a child made this verbal declaration without realizing the implications and realizes that he/she was fooled regarding ALL of the implications, as an adult is the person bound to it?

It shouldn't matter if the person is an adult now, the fact is that as a minor the child did not understand & didn't know he/she was reciting a verbal contract with the WTS & not God/Jehovah.

Also, I'm a pretty new member to the board therefore I had no idea that this question gets asked often. I'll look for the old questions on this topic. I only ask for patience with us new people on the board. We ask questions to get your assistance, opinions, help, support or redirection.

Please don't be like the JW's and start getting upset at us for asking questions. Thank you so much for all of your time & assitance. It is greatly aprreciated!

Cappuccino OC

(screen name changed from Oveja Callada to Cappuccino OC) This is more representative of my favorite drink, COFFEE./Cafe

Corrected some typos

Edited by - Cappuccino OC on 9 June 2002 13:15:54

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

Baptismal questions from the August 1, 1966 Watchtower, p. 465:

(1) Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Baptismal questions from the May 15, 1970 Watchtower, p. 309:

(1) Have you recognized yourself as a sinner and needing salvation from Jehovah God? And have you acknowledged that this salvation proceeds from him and through his ransomer, Christ Jesus?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for redemption have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to Jehovah God, to do his will henceforth as that will is revealed to you through Christ Jesus and through God's Word as his holy spirit makes it plain?

Baptismal questions from the May 1, 1973 Watchtower, p. 280:

(1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

(2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

The newest baptismal questions, from the June 1, 1985 Watchtower:

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

They call it a verbal declaration - it is in reality a verbal contract with them. They have you recite this VERBAL CONTRACT in front of thousands of observers the day of your baptism.

Dutchie, your information has been very HELPFUL, thank you. I'm going to e-mail this attorney that I know that practices law in the state that I was baptised in & I'll post the info, once I have it.

Cappuccino OC

Edited by - Cappuccino OC on 9 June 2002 13:49:38

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

Hi everyone I got an answer from an attorney, a friend of the family, who practices law in the state where I was baptised.

The following is his answer!! (cool news!!) YEAH!!

"Nice to hear from you. In response to your question, although I am not a contracts attorney (I have some knowledge in the area), in my opionion, I don't believe that you can contract with a minor and force a minor to perform under the contract. You might need some kind of affirmation from parents or the court.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you get this message."

"In addition to my prior response, therefore, I believe the contract is void and that you have no contract."

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'm still hoping to see a DF'd individual sue the WTS for defamation of character (Mrs Anderson might be that candidate) and for alienation of affection with regards to family members shunning.

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

Yerusalyim,

I like your idea of "defamation of character."

Thanks,

Cappuccino OC

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

If you where baptized as a minor, and you'd like an answer to this question, contact a "contracts" attorney in the state that you where baptized in.

I received "awesome & positive" answers to this question from a contracts attorney. (I'll post updates- as soon as I hear from the elders)

Don't be afraid to ask an attorney questions.

Cappuccino OC

• unblinded
    unblinded

I too would like to know!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit