Circuit Overseers and Corruption

by MARTINLEYSHON 48 Replies latest jw friends

• MARTINLEYSHON
    MARTINLEYSHON

As an ex Presiding Overseer and public affairs spokesperson who is now disfellowshipped!!! I am new to this site and have read with keen interest the many and varied topics that have been posted. During my 9 years of presiding I encountered certain corrupt C/Os for example the friends would treat them like little demy gods, hanging onto their every word, they would, on their visit influence the brothers to part with cash for privledges.

Being an ex district convention speaker, I saw how this worked first hand. When a C/O visited the congregation you could almost have an evens bet on the next few speakers at circuit or district level, yes you've guessed it... the elder used would be the one who took the week of work to entertain socially the c/o, and the one who gave him money.

I was always used at that level, in the main because I was a wealthy and generous brother. Compound my genorosity by the number in the congregations, and the C/Os would end up with a fantastic income, TAX FREE!!!!!!!!

Company Car accomodation paid for by the circuit, when did you ever see a poor dressed C/O last? Never.

Let me ask you this? How C/Os declare the generous gifts of the brothers to the Taxman? I will give a dollor to charity for everyone of them that does so. That's a promise. Thats how confident I am that I will not be parting with cash.

Anyway thats all for now. Look forward to your replies.

RIFF

• borgfree
    borgfree

Welcome MARTINLEYSHON,

Is there anything I can do to make your stay more pleasant?
    Anything you need? Just say the word if there is anything I can do for you!

LOL!

Borgfree

"Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training." -Anna Freud

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Welcome Martin,

Have you posted your story yet? If not, I certainly will be looking foward to it.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Welcome to the forum MARTINLEYSHON,

Yes I have always wondered why that at the District conventions it was always the same elders that gave the talks year after year. I remember years ago this elder telling me that their was a click or inner circle of elders in each district that had all the say as far as what decisions were made and who had the privileges of getting the plum parts at the district conventions. Then they try to tell you it is a spirit directed organization!!! What spirit and who's organization???

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• dobby
    dobby

I have always wondered if it worked that way.

My husband was never liked by our PO, but we had a CO that he really clicked with, nice guy not too extreme. Our family as a whole gave him a card and about $150 dollars during one of his visits and took him and his wife out to eat at Red Lobster. We did it because we genuinely liked them, not because we wanted anything from them. However, the result was that my husband was appointed School Overseer based on this CO's recommendation, despite the fact he was only an MS at the time. Next time he visits my husband is appointed an elder.

Next CO comes around he loves the PO but, never clicks with my husband. We give him and his wife $20 during a visit. We get a thank-you card, they wrote "Thank-you for your GIFT" (caps are mine, but we get the point on how they avoid the taxman). And two years later this CO is instrumental in conducting a witch-hunt resulting in my husband's deletion as an elder.

Guess $20 was just too damn cheap.

• metatron
    metatron

I did know an honest elder once.

We had a CO nobody could stand - he handed him a hundred bucks or so.

The CO asked "What does this mean?"

He replied "Do good to your enemies and pray for those that
    persecute you!". The CO didn't know what to say.

metatron

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Welcome to the board Martinleyshon! I look forward to reading your future posts. Pull up some cushions and get comfy. :)

hugs,
    Mimilly

"Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent, about things that matter" ~~Martin Luther King

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

When I was a young man, the presiding overseer in the congregation and the Circuit Overseer really liked me. Because of this fact I was given the "privilege" of giving a school talk at our circuit convention. Then after they found out that I was not baptized and said that he wouldn't have given me the assignment had he known that. Anyway it was too late I had already given the talk.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• bonovox
    bonovox

I'm glad you are awaiting my reply, but I hate to tell ya that it's going to be the voice of the 'other side'.

My step-father served as an elder for all of the 5 years I lived with him and my mother, and on a few occasions we entertained Circuit Overseers in our house for the week they stayed in our congregation. Let me just add that we were not well off financially, in fact, we were just above the poverty line for most Canadian families. My dad worked at a factory and my mom had MCS and was unable to work, so she did alot of phone witnessing from home.

We had absolutely no money to give a CO, we (and I say we, because unline some of the other aspects of the faith I disliked I usually truly looked forward to these visits) just wanted to extend our hospitality to our brother and made sacrifices to do so. We had a modest house with a den that could be used as a bedroom so they usually stayed in fairly simple surroundings. Meals were never lavish affairs, but we had a great time with them all the same. I was always especially interested in hearing stories from far away places, stories that did not necessarily revolve exclusively around preaching, but usually meandered into explorations of other's cultures and countries (some had been missionaries in Africa and South America). Living in a whiter-than-wonderbread small town, I would eat this stuff up gleefully.

After dinner my mom would sometimes get out her acoustic and we'd sing and stuff, or sometimes the CO would have slides from other places and we'd get the popcorn out and have a slideshow. On a few occasions my younger sisters and I put on little bible skits for them, and they always found those so special. I remember thinking quite proudly how good we were at drama productions.

The CO's I knew never drove fancy leased vehicles, usually 5-10 year old models that were well maintained. I never questioned that as, hell, you wouldn't want to break down somewhere in the rural areas we lived in, especially with the schedules they maintained. I recall him and his wife always being of fairly simple tastes, which usually fit in quite well with our very simple lifestyle.

What did we get in return? Not much, really, other than friendship and hearing experiences. My dad was never really favored for extra 'positions' or privileges, but he did get assigned to alot of things because he had this sincerely quiet and compassionate nature that drew people to him (my mom is the fanatic, but thats another story altogether). I can definately say that no money ever exchanged hands, cause we never had any. Although we did those skits, we were never selected to participate in dramas at assemblies, but looking back, maybe it was because the CO saw that we were already quite talented in that regard and so maybe he wanted to cultivate some abilities in others? Or maybe it wasnt favoritism that he used to pick people?

I don't really know, but I do know that making a blanket statement about all CO's is just not right. The couple I knew personally were decent simple people, as far as I knew.

Just another perspective.

------------------------------------------------------

"Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"

Bullet the Blue Sky, Rattle n Hum version

• Angharad
    Angharad

Hi Martin

Welcome to the forum, interesting post, look forward to reading more

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit