How Some Climb Up So Quickly?!!

by Sofia Lose 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It is so hard to say which of the typical factors applied in a particular situation.

One can be born into a connected JW-family.
    One can donate money at just the right times to be noticed for it. (Green handshakes)
    One can take the C.O. out to dinner all the time.
    One can manage to get a son into Bethel and gain prominence.
    One can play politics every time the C.O. visits and volunteer to be the elder with the assignments nobody wants.

But it could be less obvious.
    A JW couple could be very "smooth" when talking to the C.O, the D.O., other important people. They could be the "in" crowd because of their donations and their personalities combined.
    An elder could brag how he bought a minivan for "service." Certainly, he keeps the car clean and is available every Saturday and most Sundays to use it.
    One can talk JW all the time instead of sports and entertainment. They can have stories about how some point at a convention made a difference in their life, and tell the story regularly. Or they can be over-the-top with their support of points from the organization- college is bad, internet forums are bad, the world is bad.
    Not just proper dress and grooming, but sharp dress well inside of the boundaries of loose fitting and proper length can really help, at both casual and meeting times. Even the attractiveness of a JW man and/or his wife can make a difference. And of course, the kids being regular publishers, getting baptized young, staying out of trouble- all important.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11
    in my 30 years plus experience it is the ones with family who get pushed/promoted...that way they in turn act as mentors/keepers/bait for the rest of the family..also if you have a family in it then you and they have links to many others so your worth as a spiritual bully is utilised by promotion .....if you're a single person with no relatives you'll often be left to tread water as any investment in you pays little dividends..
  • antes8080
    antes8080

it's who you know not what you know.

• Simon
    Simon

Like other spheres of life, people advance by a combination of skill & ability, self promotion and sucking up.

Skill and ability is rarely the reason.

Most of the time it's a combination of people pushing themselves due to ego and desire for personal adulation and they often brown-nose as part of that.

Nothing helps people advance in an organization than being mirrors of the higher ups already in and making it clear that you are totally on board and completely support their decisions and position and are not going to be a threat to them.

People who stand up for what is right, speak out against wrong doing and are willing to rock the boat never get ahead. It happens in the WTS, it happens in companies, it happens all over.

• Simon
    Simon
    It's who you know not what you know.

It's what you know abut who you know :)

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I was always amazed by this. I was born in, never in trouble, regular meeting attender, auxiliary pioneered, worked for several years at branches in Central and South America and some in Africa.

But some Jack Hole could come in the truth brag that he had done every drug available and slept with hundreds of women and in less than five years was giving substantial talks at the circuit assembly and District Convention. Me, I was asked to either work in cleaning or the parking lot. I know, humility. I did what was asked but just never got it. Geezsh, I am so glad to be out of that crap.

• Finkelstein
  • Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

It's what you know abut who you know :smile:

It could certainly help if you had a bit of "dirt" on the right people, J. Edgar Hoover style!

Bill.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

If he has only been in for 10 years, then that is another great way for the org to wipe away all record of the past teachings!

Start fresh with a new generation of "heavies".....

Sweep the past under the carpet....

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2
    It seems it's always about appearances isn't it ? I picked up on that right away when I came in hehe..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit