How Some Climb Up So Quickly?!!

by Sofia Lose 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Is this the CO that was a born in, got DF'd, got a college degree (MIT I think) and then got guilted into coming back by a comment from a little older sister? If so, he was the substitute CO that I served lunch to as my last act in the organization. I didn't go to any meetings or field service during his visit. I was done.
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

To answer your question, it's not about how much you do but who you know and your abilities.

If you can motivate, kiss enough ass, and have "connections" or "know someone or knows someone who does" then you are a shoe-in.

The WT could care less about seniority or how zealous you are. It's a numbers game and if you can help the bottom line then you qualify.

Sad but true. I know of some brothers who have been spinning their wheels for years trying to be the most spiritual person in the org. yet they remain like that for years. What a joke.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    stuckinarut2:
    If he has only been in for 10 years, then that is another great way for the org to wipe away all record of the past teachings!
    Start fresh with a new generation of "heavies".....
    Sweep the past under the carpet....

I was thinking similar thoughts. I bet the org will start seeking less experienced personnel. It is a way for them to start fresh and continue their rebranding and erase their history. This inexperienced CO might know none of the bad stuff in the org's history. he might have never heard of Ray Franz, he might know nothing of the 607/587 issue, and he might know nothing of the UN issue. Heck, he came in around the time of the last study of the Revelation Climax book, so he's probably not even really familiar with it.

• blondie
    blondie

I don't know why my husband progressed so fast based on your comments. He was not born in, his wife was not a proper prospective elder's wife (too independent thinking), etc. But after 5 years he was an elder. Then he saw the dark side of the organization and in a few years he was gone with me. He had good business skills and was a caring and supportive person. But after he was appointed, they tried to mold him into their idea of a "good" elder which did not match up with the bible he knew.

It did help that an elder studied with him and there were quite a few elders/MS in my family. It helps to have an advocate I guess.

• Magnum
    Magnum

I see a pattern. In the early days of the org, brothers could be appointed to high level positions in very short periods of time and at young ages. Example: Twenty-two-year-old baptized two years appointed as CO.

But then as individual JWs matured and gained experience, the appointed brothers had to stay ahead of them and have their respect, so the requirements got stricter. They had to be older and have more experience.

However, now JWdom has changed (and is changing) drastically. It is dumbing down. Individual JWs are not as knowledgeable and bold and confident. So, now the qualifications for appointments can be lowered.

And, as mentioned above, a benefit to that is that it contributes to the rebranding and erasing of the past.

• westiebilly11
    westiebilly11
    ...I too cleaned loos, gave many many lifts to meetings and conventions etc, served on lit counter, active on school and stood in at last minute if needed, handled platform responsibilities, read wt and study book at meetings, spent many weekends maintaining and cleaning hall and gardens,responded to random phone calls for help ,did microphone duty, halll security, pioneered, out in ministry every weekend and midweek,served on memorial duties, etc etc, all done because I genuinely cared for the brothers and sisters, yet in 30 years I was never appointed.....and yes, I was not a born in, but a walk in and a stay in ,,until I left....others though who were sons of elders etc or chummy with the Po were appointed, even one who openly told others that he 'deserved to be an elder' !...humility lacking.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sofia Lose - "How do some seem to reach certain posts so damn quick, while others cannot make it?! "

Authoritarian personalities thrive in authoritarian regimes.

• Tornintwo
    Tornintwo

You have to play the game..

My husband has never suffered fools gladly, if he sees someone acting in the wrong way, even if they're an elder, co, etc, he would say something. That doesn't go down very well, even if the scriptures are on your side.

You have to kiss ass, nod and agree with the prominent ones to get ahead, not sounding like a very Christ like organization is it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit