A question for XJWs. . .

by StinkyPantz 21 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

How many of you are now atheists or agnostics? How many of you have actually converted to another organized religion? and why?

Personally I find myself doubting anything and everything I learned about the bible and religion. Is the bible authentic? Well, I learned all of the JW responses to that question, but since JW's are wrong, maybe the bible's not real either.

I just wanna see which way others went after leaving "the truth".

StinkyP

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies even closer"

• zanex
    zanex

atheist from the time i was df'd til my daughter was born then agnostic from feb 1 2001 til now present day...i dont think i will ever be able to make the jump from agnostic to actually practicing religion...

"just pop another pill and it will all become clear...TRUST ME." S. Garofolo

-Z-

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hey stinkypantz (love the name btw hehe)

i'm pretty much athiest now. fairy tales are nice but are just stories. right after i left the wts, i guess you could say i was agnostic cuz i just didn't care one way or the other. then i started to get into paganism and wicca. really like the whole idea of choosing your own spiritual path and their rede of do what you will as long as it harm's no one. but when it came time to visualize gods and goddesses, i couldn't do it. and then spellcasting, couldn't take that seriously. that's about when i realized that i am athiest. i just live my life trying to not hurt others and trying to help those i can. i try to enjoy each and every day. i try to make myself a better person by learning as much as i can about the world around me.

• Soledad
    Soledad

At first, I threw God, the bible and anything that had to do with religion out the window. Two years ago I attended a service at a local presbyterian church, but that was the only time I went. I was in tears throughout the whole service, I dont know why. Then, I considered going to a Catholic church, and changed my mind. I don't agree with a lot of the Catholic church's doctrine. I guess Im agnostic? I don't really know if I believe in God or not.

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

I'm a Taoist these days. But, like my hair color that will probably change in another 6 months....

• obiwan
    obiwan

I had recently considered getting reinstated but when I go I find myself getting a little irritated.So I think now I'm going to read
    crisis of conscience and educate myself more,I know I could never go
    to another religion.

WOW It's a wide open world,use your
    own thoughts.

• L_A_Big_Dawg
    L_A_Big_Dawg

When I left I thought there was no God. How could I? All I was taught was that apart from the J-Dubs there was nothing. That lasted almost 2 years.

Then someone told me that salvation is not in an Org. or a group but in an act done. This piqued my interest, and I began to look into this Christianity thing. I started reading the Bible. The NIV cause it was easy to read, and I could get it at a regular book store, not a religious one.

My Christian experience has been marked by struggles. First, trying to deal with "stupid" Christians. Those that smile blankly and say, "Je-sus luvs you!" Secondly, trying to deal with Christains that are anti-intellectual. I began to wonder if modern Evangelical Christianity requires adherants to check their brain at the seat prior to the altar call.

I finally found a place to call home, and realize that Christianity is a thinking religion. That God wants us to love Him with our minds as well as our hearts, bodies and souls.

For those that have lost their faith in God, I understand what you have and are going through. Maybe one day God will show you what He is truly all about. That He is not some big ogre looking to smash you because you do not perform.

Best wishes on your spiritual journies.

"That's me in the corner. That's me in the spotlight, losing my religion." REM

And thank God I lost my religion.

The Big Dawg

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi SP: Here is my journey in a nutshell.

1. Raised strict Roman Catholic.
    2. Went 8 years to Catholic School.
    3. Was going to be a Priest
    4. Left the RC to be a JW for next 25 years
    5. Left JWs and joined Conservative Baptists.
    6. Experimented with Pentecostal & Assembly of God
    7. Dabbled for some fun with the Mormons (never joined)
    8. Dabbled with Dawn Bible Students (more serious)
    9. Resigned from Conservative Baptists & all religion
    10. Now a Deist with Christian views

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp
    Personally I find myself doubting anything and everything I learned about the bible and religion. Is the bible authentic? Well, I learned all of the JW responses to that question, but since JW's are wrong, maybe the bible's not real either.

I started a thread on this subject go check it out. It has my basic reasons for not giving the Bible all the credit I dont really think it deserves. Also now I am on the border of atheism/agnostisism. And if I ever were to become religious it would not be within an organization. I am completely against all form of organized religion.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=29346&site=3

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

can' believe christianity any more...

can't believe the bible anymore...

(Why!! -- well, i know that my sexual feelings came from within - not without...what i am is natural for me)..

but!! i appreciate spirituality -- especially the 2 spirit stuff that gay men have always been associated with ...

i also like taoism

and some things about buddhism (watching thais in thailand demonstrated spirituality in a way that i never say in the city of dubs).

and - i want to be buried with hindu rites - really beautiful funerals!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit