Elders- "Trained or UnTrained- WHICH IS IT??

by JT 26 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

thinkers wife:

What a collosal mistake to tell an abused woman (or man for that matter) to stay with their mate. What? do they want you to stay until he kills you? And then to top it all off, they torture anyone who breaks out of the mold and has the backbone to get out

########

yes i recall the same - the elders told my mom anytime she was having problems with my dad to stay, never leave, no beating, but the mental kind- they never had a lot in common- yet they told her all the time to stay stay - my mom would have left 25yrs ago and her life would be very different today

the elders in your avg congo, despite their well intentions have no business making decisions that in volve folks lives

how sad

JT

• JT
    JT

Deludednomore-

it is an amazing thing to look back at how we did laugh at the clergy and dog them- yet we were just a bunch of window washers

how sad

JT

• TMS
    TMS

Mr. Moreno meant to say:

Local congregation elders are unpaid volunteers with no specialized academic training under the auspices of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc. Said society is not civilly or criminally liable for misconduct by said volunteers.

TMS

• Xandit
    Xandit

Some of them are trained and some of them are untrained. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. In my experience about a third are pretty good so I guess they might be considered trained.

I went through the list of cases in the Louisville newspaper article with one of the good elders and he pointed out the error in every case. Mistakes that he would not have made. Unfortunately there aren't enough like him.

• TMS
    TMS

All fascetiousness aside, enlarging on spinmeister Moreno's words about the untrained clergy:

The skill level among JW elders is uneven, at best. Perhaps one or two elders per circuit are capable counselors. Their life experience, education, knowledge and personal interest enable them to be genuine encouragers. One elder I know starts with the premise that all dedicated JWs, whether inactive, reproved, stumbled, offended, etc. "love Jehovah". His positive approach almost always nets him shepherding calls that end positively. No spectacular results in the long run, but an "A" for effort. Another brother, now deceased, lost his son in an automobile accident in 1958. His wife never attended another meeting. He persevered, never lost hope for her, but continued to serve God as a JW. His contact with other witnesses exuded a genuine warmth and compassion, unmatched. He was used till his death in the mid-80's as a subtitute circuit overseer. His "service talks" highlighted family relationships, caring for aging parents, compassion for others, etc.

I have many examples on the other end of the spectrum, but I will table them for now as it is getting extemely late.

TMS

• Black Man
    Black Man

up.........

• Maximus
    Maximus

A rap love letter to James:

Stop wid da ban
    on my man Farrakhan!

He be slick,
    notta dick,
    really quick.

Bad behavior?
    Gotta savior!

JR, dawg;
    JR, dawg.

Where are all the good guys?
    Where are all the good guys?

Weeded out,
    weeded out,

Sift-ing,
    Sift-ing,

Sift-ed.

From a man widda face
    that is white, really white.

But he heart be black,
    really black, really black.
    Knows the ghet-to,
    Loves the ghet-to.

Maximus

• zev
    zev

untrained, home wrecking, intolerable, senceless BOOBS!
    whose borg training has made their minds like vanilla pudding.
    some of them arn't. but some are.

__
    Zev
    The greatest consistancy of the WTBTS is their INconsistancy.

• wondering alot
    wondering alot

Good post.

I've always been amazed, with all their training they seldom can get things right.

(tequila night)

• waiting
    waiting

Hello Wondering Alot

Nice to meet you - we've got a good forum, just like a regular family. All the nice ones, maniacs, and down right grumpies. I'll leave it to you to find out which is which. On occasion, I fit all of the aforementioned.

Some of them are trained and some of them are untrained.- xandit

Aw, I miss the ol' jw cuss..........

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. In my experience about a third are pretty good so I guess they might be considered trained. - xandit

Of course, xandit has no way of backing up his statistics, but I would agree - there are some good elders - who seemed to be trained in different areas. Perhaps they've received training in their jobs, military, academic life, etc.

Perhaps one or two elders per circuit are capable counselors. - tms

That would seem more like it.

Their life experience, education, knowledge and personal interest enable them to be genuine encouragers. - tms

"Genuine encouragers" is a far cry from "capable counselors" - and both areas have little to do with counseling rape/incest/molestation victims.

WTBTS lawyers Moreno and Brown have it right - "unpaid and untrained volunteers."

Nothing more - sometimes a lot less.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit